Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

S2000 street driven TT car build

Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Enjoyed reading about your journey.
--If you could do it over again, what you you do differently? E.g., skipped any cars or stuck with any?
-- how was the AP1 vs AP2 for you in terms of enjoyment, reliability, etc on the track and street, or anything else that comes to mind.
--what happened with the cayman?
Old 10-01-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CenturionS2K
Enjoyed reading about your journey.
--If you could do it over again, what you you do differently? E.g., skipped any cars or stuck with any?
-- how was the AP1 vs AP2 for you in terms of enjoyment, reliability, etc on the track and street, or anything else that comes to mind.
--what happened with the cayman?
Thanks! There is alot more to it that I will be posting about the S2000 build.

I always learn something from each car and there is always something cool coming around so I'm happy with everything car I had. There are a ton more vehicles but I'm just keeping this mostly S2000 specific.

As far as AP1 vs AP2, I really loved my AP1. It was definitely more fun to drive on the street and the track. As far as reliability, I had the same mods as my AP2 except I upgraded the retainers on my AP1. Reliability has not been an issue for me in any S2000. I really love the higher redline on the AP1 and the car is just more lively on the track. There is no doubt though that the AP2 is a better car even though it is just marginally better. You really can't go wrong with either.

As far as the Cayman, I ended up selling it. The car was phenomenal. Excellent handling, great looks, great build quality, and it was reliable. I had my fun and it was time to move to something else. That something else came in the way of a 92 GPW NSX. The NSX was a car that I always wanted and the opportunity presented itself from a friend of a friend so I jumped on it.

At some point, I would love to have owned a Supra, NSX, 300ZX, RX7, and 3000GT VR-4. I've already had the Supra, NSX, and 300ZX now and am itching to pick up a nice rotary RX7 at some point. Sadly, all these cars have been pretty disappointing. They where my dream cars growing up and as I get the opportunity to buy them, they just never live up to what I imagined. It's largely because they are dated at this point and while they have the raw manual feel, they just don't have the refinement and chassis dynamics of something newer like an S2000 or Cayman. The S2000 really spoils you on what you expect cars to feel like. They say you should never meet you hero and that kind of holds true to old cars I lusted after.

The Supra was my ultimate dream car growing up and it was the most disappointing of them all. It was basically an excellent engine behind a poor shifting (but strong) transmission, extremely loose chassis, and a horrible steering rack. The steering felt like one out of a Camry and to make it worse, it looked like one too. The car got a ton of attention and was very fast but just wasn't for me. The car didn't feel solid and well planted.

Here is a pic of my old 300ZX TT and Supra.

This 300ZX was actually my first performance car back in 2004. For the time, it was fast! The only problem was that is was horribly unreliable and a pain to work on.

This is my current play toy that is keeping the S2000 company.

This car is currently at the top NSX shop in the country getting a full OEM engine restoration. Everything is being updated and replaced throughout the car. When it is done it will be the perfect representation of what I think a stockish NSX should be like!

A little NSX and S2000 love.

Last edited by Sickdayracing; 09-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sickdayracing:
rohde88 (10-02-2017), S1 S2 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Great read!
Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Man, you've had some really, really nice track S2000s! I actually just picked up a square set of GC-07Cs to use as my rain/street set of wheels and tires and will be towing a track trailer, similar to your white AP2. I'm excited to see where this build goes!

Also, would you mind posting some more photos of the carpeted area behind the seats? I've wanted to do something like that for ages. Thanks!

Last edited by Ricky_Flowers_; 10-02-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, great car history. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious, but walk us through the numbers on a swap?

Buy for $20k, spend $1-2k registration, taxes, tune up stuff
Sell for $18k? Are you eating transaction costs each time? Seems like that still adds up for over 50 cars!
Old 10-02-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by rohde88
wow, great car history. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious, but walk us through the numbers on a swap?

Buy for $20k, spend $1-2k registration, taxes, tune up stuff
Sell for $18k? Are you eating transaction costs each time? Seems like that still adds up for over 50 cars!

I don't flip or anything as a business but I try not to lose money on them either. I've been lucky not to have lost any money yet, the worst I've done is break even, and that is after taxes and registration.

I find buying highly modified cars usually works well in that you can get rid off all of parts to offset costs and still get what you paid or more for the car if it marketed right with a good description and pictures.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:07 PM

All cleaned up after a track this day past Friday. Guys always make fun of me for keeping my track car clean and tires shined! Have to look good to go fast I say.

Busted down my personal best at Summit as well. This car boogies!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I think I’ve seen that white NSX at Ben’s shop in Woodbine MD (Daisy auto care).
Old 10-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis
I think I’ve seen that white NSX at Ben’s shop in Woodbine MD (Daisy auto care).

Its there right now getting a full OEM engine rebuild and whole bunch more.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Haha, I was wondering who bought that AP2. You got to it before I could, so I ended up buying the AP1 on Penskes that was for sale at the same time in Cave Creek, Az. Glad to see it's also being put to good use.

Quick Reply: S2000 street driven TT car build