Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans

Old 11-10-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

The cover keeps the dust off the car and with the windows cracked keeps dust out of the interior as well. You'll know in April if a cover would have been helpful. In my open garage with cars going in and out daily there's dust on stuff. And since I cancelled the road insurance while she was hibernating it was a good reminder to not drive the car. This can be suspended with a phone call to deactivate it and another to reactivate it in the spring. Remained insured for fire, theft, and non road damage.

Drove my 2006 to get her annual Virginia safety inspection on Thursday. Roof down, of course. I could view the service area from the waiting room and when she went on the lift 5 or 6 mechanics scurried under the car with flashlights and pointing at things. I got concerned. Chief mechanic came out and told me they could NOT pass the car! Wait for it! -- windshield wiper blades were shot. Then had them in stock and all was well. Apparently the chief mechanic was just pointing out all the good stuff under the car earlier. They don't see a lot of these and it took another 20 minutes to get out of the shop as everyone wanted to talk about the car. Same discussions we have here about the pros and cons of supercharging, lowering, and LS engines. Not me.

-- Chuck
Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The cover keeps the dust off the car and with the windows cracked keeps dust out of the interior as well. You'll know in April if a cover would have been helpful. In my open garage with cars going in and out daily there's dust on stuff. And since I cancelled the road insurance while she was hibernating it was a good reminder to not drive the car. This can be suspended with a phone call to deactivate it and another to reactivate it in the spring. Remained insured for fire, theft, and non road damage.

Drove my 2006 to get her annual Virginia safety inspection on Thursday. Roof down, of course. I could view the service area from the waiting room and when she went on the lift 5 or 6 mechanics scurried under the car with flashlights and pointing at things. I got concerned. Chief mechanic came out and told me they could NOT pass the car! Wait for it! -- windshield wiper blades were shot. Then had them in stock and all was well. Apparently the chief mechanic was just pointing out all the good stuff under the car earlier. They don't see a lot of these and it took another 20 minutes to get out of the shop as everyone wanted to talk about the car. Same discussions we have here about the pros and cons of supercharging, lowering, and LS engines. Not me.

-- Chuck
I can definitely understand the sentiment with leaving cars well enough alone. A supercharged s2000 just seems like a blast on all accounts, and I've wanted one for a while, so I'm exploring my curiosity in that regard....But on the other hand I've calmed down quite a bit; I've made knee-jerk modifications to cars in the past and have deeply regretted just not leaving them alone and enjoying them as they are. I'll always have a desire to tinker and modify, but as I grow older it seems less sensible and less important to change every little thing for the sake of doing so; but that's all preference and opinion. I prefer to leave the car looking as stock as possible and just upping the power properly with quality components. I won't compromise with junky wheels or coils because my budget won't allow it; if I can't afford to do it properly then I wait until I can, I guess that's what's changed for me.

And my unit is going to stay mostly shut for the season unless I stop in to drop off some parts. The battery is out and the exhaust is plugged so there will be no mistaking not driving it haha. We will see come April, although it seems like an OEM cover is a good investment as they become harder to come by.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[left]
Originally Posted by S2kys
I can definitely understand the sentiment with leaving cars well enough alone. A supercharged s2000 just seems like a blast on all accounts, and I've wanted one for a while, so I'm exploring my curiosity in that regard....But on the other hand I've calmed down quite a bit; I've made knee-jerk modifications to cars in the past and have deeply regretted just not leaving them alone and enjoying them as they are. I'll always have a desire to tinker and modify, but as I grow older it seems less sensible and less important to change every little thing for the sake of doing so; but that's all preference and opinion. I prefer to leave the car looking as stock as possible and just upping the power properly with quality components. I won't compromise with junky wheels or coils because my budget won't allow it; if I can't afford to do it properly then I wait until I can, I guess that's what's changed for me.

And my unit is going to stay mostly shut for the season unless I stop in to drop off some parts. The battery is out and the exhaust is plugged so there will be no mistaking not driving it haha. We will see come April, although it seems like an OEM cover is a good investment as they become harder to come by.

100% in the same exact place as you, and damn it feels good to chill and just enjoy the process
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by s2kslav

100% in the same exact place as you, and damn it feels good to chill and just enjoy the process

Yes it is! I used to be so tied up in getting mods on my car no matter the sacrifices I needed to make in order to get there. Now I kind of enjoy the grind knowing that I'm working hard to get the parts I want and I'll be happy with them.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Have you confirmed that the ST40 kit fits your new RZIIs? +63 anything is tight as hell over big brakes.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Have you confirmed that the ST40 kit fits your new RZIIs? +63 anything is tight as hell over big brakes.
Embarrassingly they didn’t and I don’t want to use spacers. I’m going to order the modified trophy kit from V8R.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 AM
Community Organizer

Embarrassingly they didn’t and I don’t want to use spacers. I’m going to order the modified trophy kit from V8R.
I may be biased, but I 100% support this =]
Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM

I may be biased, but I 100% support this =]
Sooooon! I’ve been dropping so much cash lately....argh.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 AM
Community Organizer

Sooooon! I’ve been dropping so much cash lately....argh.
It's going up in price after black friday, so if you're thinking about it, don't wait.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 AM

It's going up in price after black friday, so if you're thinking about it, don't wait.
Fml....

Quick Reply: Kyle's GPW/Red long-term S2k shenanigans