saving4one's build - Page 6 - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

saving4one's build

Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 PM   #51

43 degrees here today, took the S2000 out for a drive. I-5 is clear, but south county, where I took my wife to work, is a winter wonderland. Clickity-clack goes my engine. Back roads are horrible with cinder, even though they don't salt here, the paint damage alone is enough to keep the S in the garage. What good is year round driving if it sounds and feels like you're on a gravel road?

Last edited by saving4one; 01-24-2017 at 10:33 AM.
saving4one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #52

Took the S to the machine shop so the owner could listen to it. He said it sounded fine and asked if I had done the valve adjustment. Twice, I replied, and that luckily I had someone working with me on a custom TCT because his shop milled too much off the head. Some other mild bs ensued about timing chains and geometry, with him not really giving me straight answers. He also skirted around answering me about why they machined the ex. valve stems. He said maybe I should adjust the clearances again to see if that quieted it down. I did adjust the valves one more time, making it three since re-assembly, and wouldn't you know, som'bitch was right, it was quieter. Of course getting a good reading with a feeler gauge on the ex. side is pretty in-accurate with the gauge catching on the machined stems! It is definitely quieter though, still not 'normal' to my ear.
I had been waiting for some decent weather so I could wash the car before I put it in storage. I'm putting it away in a top secret location in southern OR, until I fly back out here to pick it up in early summer. I'm moving back East and this time I'm leaving the hard top on for the drive across the country. Washing the rag top before having the hard top on for so long was key in getting the car ready for storage.
So, I washed it:

Took the 11+ year old carbon fiber license plate frame off:

And put my freshly re-worked ap1 lip back on (full story to follow.....some day):

Car certainly needs a good detailing and waxing, but I think I'll have to put it off another year, what with the big family move back to NY and all.
My brother-in-law followed me in my Fit, to the place in OR where I'm storing the S. I really lucked out and took a fellow car club member up on his offer to store my car. He has a really nice gated property and meticulously kept shop, where I feel the car will be totally secure
There it is going down for it's little nap:

Always find it interesting how drastic Suzuka's color change in different lighting, i.e. a well lit shop compared to my dank ass garage.

Last edited by saving4one; 02-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to saving4one For This Useful Post:
Slowcrash_101 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:37 AM   #53

I'm glad you quieted the ticking down. It's already hard to get a good reading on the gauge with the heat shield, especially cylinder 4. The valve clearance will change once all the parts wear in, I'd check it again after a few thousand miles. Car looks very good, I wish I had an indoors place to put mine.
Slowcrash_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 AM   #54

Thanks slowcrash.
I'm going to check up on my S today, to see how it's doing. I'm in Arizona currently, in the midst of moving my fam back to the East coast. I do miss driving the S on these great roads out here, but you certainly can't fit a family of 4 in it!