Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Sick_AP1 - SCCA STR Build - Stacy Aka Clean Yellow AP1

Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man good build, keep it up.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TECHNICALLY after you removed the rear sway bar your car was no longer BS legal; not that anyone at a local event would really care, lol.

Its great to see such quality parts going onto a great example of an S2000. High quality build, man. Love it.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

wow, is that how loud the intake becomes with just the addition of the spoon air filter? I am referencing the MOD 11 and MOD 18 Vimeo videos.... no cold air intake right? WHere did you buy it from? Based from the sound I thought for sure you had gotten an aem cai or something.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
wow, is that how loud the intake becomes with just the addition of the spoon air filter? I am referencing the MOD 11 and MOD 18 Vimeo videos.... no cold air intake right? Based from the sound I thought for sure you had gotten an aem cai or something.
I started running an external mic into my engine bay near the intake box. The spoon filter did make the intake louder but not as loud as a AEM cai.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
TECHNICALLY after you removed the rear sway bar your car was no longer BS legal; not that anyone at a local event would really care, lol.

Its great to see such quality parts going onto a great example of an S2000. High quality build, man. Love it.
13.7 anti- roll (sway) bars

Substitution,addition or removal of a single anti roll bar and supporting hardware is permitted.

Don't know if they mean just one side or one of each....

But they are too technical anyways so I tried to be in regulation for B street I guess for awhile. Having an ap1 though is an underdog you need an ap2 to be competitive in that class.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^I agree. The rules and regs are insane. Since you had already substituted your front sway bar, it made removal of the rear sway bar illegal. The front was your "single" permission. Again, ain't nobody got time fo' protests at a local event, so no big deal. I did the same exact thing while I was still in BS.

Its amazing how much removing the rear bar will settle the car down, but I suggest you put it back on now with your latest setup and learn to drive the car with it on. If you still feel its too twitchy (because of damn AP1 twitch oversteer) then look into a softer rear bar like the AP2 or the Miata bar. I guarantee you will be a faster driver with a rear bar on the car. It may take more work/practice, but learning to drive with a bit of oversteer will make you a faster driver than using what is essentially a handicap of no rear bar.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
^I agree. The rules and regs are insane. Since you had already substituted your front sway bar, it made removal of the rear sway bar illegal. The front was your "single" permission. Again, ain't nobody got time fo' protests at a local event, so no big deal. I did the same exact thing while I was still in BS.

Its amazing how much removing the rear bar will settle the car down, but I suggest you put it back on now with your latest setup and learn to drive the car with it on. If you still feel its too twitchy (because of damn AP1 twitch oversteer) then look into a softer rear bar like the AP2 or the Miata bar. I guarantee you will be a faster driver with a rear bar on the car. It may take more work/practice, but learning to drive with a bit of oversteer will make you a faster driver than using what is essentially a handicap of no rear bar.
O I know I have an updated today on exactly what we are talking about now ... Even tho my wallet hurts being slow hurts me more lol. I'll have pictures up later with my progress but I do agree having a bit of oversteer does help especially in some tight turns!
Old 09-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Especially on our newly sealed lot, i think the rear bar will help us.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:07 PM

Mod 20/21

Miata 2006 Soft Top Front Sway bar for the Rear / Challenge Brake Lines

So after my last event the car felt very twitchy and loose on the back end so I decided to go back to a rear sway bar. I really wanted a small bar so I found an 06 Miata front sway bar (19 mm) on ebay for $40 which was great since I did not want to spend that much money on a sway bar since it was something that miata owners usually remove/replace.

Comparison to the stock AP1 rear sway bar
DSC_1543 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

DSC_1544 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

Clean up time!!!

DSC_1545 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

before after (brackets)

DSC_1546 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

and Finally installation

DSC_1551 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

The install was pretty straight forward - I did grind the holes to give the differential bolts some breathing room to deter vibration or damage.

Next up

Brake Lines-

I decided to replace my stock lines since they have not been changed since 2001 so I start looking for some stainless steel lines . I opted to get the Challenge Stainless Steel lines that are teflon coated - They were fairly inexpensive and had pretty good reviews.

DSC_1542 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

Installed pics next to my Ohlins DFV and Karcepts bar! BLING!

DSC_1547 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

So after it was installed I had to bleed the brake system and since I had ATE super blue already in the lines I decided to go with the TYP 200 fluid since it is the same thing in the gold isn/ brown color.

DSC_1553 by Sick_ap1, on Flickr

after I install the brake lines the brake pedal felt amazing even under heavy braking (highway test) and now on tight corners the rear end felt tame because of the bar. Now to really test the car out at an auto-x event so I will be attending a BMW Nassau event next week to take the car on a test run hopefully I place/podium/ WIN!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found you! mwahaha 8=D. And damn son, you got mad posts mad fast.

Quick Reply: Sick_AP1 - SCCA STR Build - Stacy Aka Clean Yellow AP1