Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

"SilliG" Build Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Considering that milltek myself since I can't find anything I like besides Mugen and amuse.
no love for ASM anymore

Originally Posted by tama05
I enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing another owner who has taken their time with the vehicle. I like how you have emphasized maintenance and are using quality parts as you're going along. Plus learning more about the car driving, before making your upgrades.
good job sir!
The following users liked this post:
speedlimitz (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I love asm plenty bouford! After the resonator rattle on the 60mm i had, i got bad taste for the basic design. I love the new dual, but ya know, not 4k worth of love.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

With a LOT of help from a very generous forum member we did a valve adjustment today on my S. He brought all the tools and helped me get through it as I was nervous as what was considered “drag”. But we got through it no problem and a lot of coaching for me.

Diyguys on YouTube has a great how to video on remove the valve cover and do the valve adjustment FYI

At 57K it was time to check. My exhaust valves were a little out in certain areas. But my intake was spot on. I should be good for another 50k now

Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I love asm plenty bouford! After the resonator rattle on the 60mm i had, i got bad taste for the basic design. I love the new dual, but ya know, not 4k worth of love.
too bad. i guess my SS and Ti 70 are part of the lucky ones (without res rattle )

for valve adjustment. the generosity fellow owners show each other is the best part about our community

Last edited by bouford; 02-03-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Considering that milltek myself since I can't find anything I like besides Mugen and amuse.
What are you looking for out of an exhaust system

Originally Posted by tama05
I enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing another owner who has taken their time with the vehicle. I like how you have emphasized maintenance and are using quality parts as you're going along. Plus learning more about the car driving, before making your upgrades.
Thanks I try to push maintenance because I know it’s a 10 year old car. You want to make sure you have a strong foundation.

I’m not the best driver I’ll admit I need to work on the driver mod and learning how to fully push the S. Right now the car is more capable than me.
Originally Posted by bouford
no love for ASM anymore

good job sir!
thanks man I appreciate it!

for valve adjustment. the generosity fellow owners show each other is the best part about our community [/QUOTE]

the community aspect is wonderful. It’s why I join the forums and try to give back.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SilliG

What are you looking for out of an exhaust system

i want non ricer sound. The lighter the better, zero drone, zero ricer angle, zero rasp, look good. I ask alot.
i like the idea of the milltek with the black tips they offer.(my car is black)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:13 PM

i want non ricer sound. The lighter the better, zero drone, zero ricer angle, zero rasp, look good. I ask alot.
i like the idea of the milltek with the black tips they offer.(my car is black)
Yeah you are looking for a lot of the same things I was when searching for an exhaust minus the black tips. I found the Milltek to be the best in that department. Let me know if you need anymore info on the Milltek I can try and help you out before you purchase anything if your looking to go that route
Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 AM

So an update on things, no brake install yet because I don't have tires for my wheels. Hankook RS4s have been purchased but I'm waiting for them to be delivered. TireRack has quoted me mid April for delivery. But don't worry as soon they come in the installs will start. It is no point to install spacers for a month, I can wait.

But in the meantime the mods do not stop. So back to some maintenance, I was plagued with the classic soft-top corner wear. The OEM vinyl top started developing holes and the straps were loose and drooping . A local guy S2k_born (Mike) walked me through what top to purchase Robbins Cloth top, and he performed the install. A+ guy, A+ service, A+ prices. If your in the Bay Area i highly recommend seeing S2k_born for your soft top repair installs and much more.

The new soft top looks great and I am no longer embarrassed to park next to my friends with ugly soft top patches.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:44 PM

All my parts came in so let the installs begin.

Started by coating the rims and calipers. I used Kamikaze Stance Rim Coat to offer protection against contaminates and help washing brake dust and dirt off the wheels.

Then went back to Auto Innovations to get the 255 RS4s installed. Just incase any one is wondering

Stock Front + Tire = 41.2lbs
Stock Rear + Tire = 45.8lbs
17x9.5 + 255/40/17 = 42.8lbs

Next up was installing the Ballade Sports Headers, I threw in a new OEM doughnut gasket, manifold gasket and spring bolts. Install was pretty straight forward, only tough part was removal of the black heat shield. I am not sure how the the bolt closest to the firewall for the heat shield is overlooked on online instructions. I ended up buying a XL 10mm ratcheting wrench to be able to reach and the bolt.

Holding the Ballade header in my hands while on a scale and without the difference was 5.6lbs. Uncalibrated way but should be a good ball park figure. The headers look great by retaining the stock heat shields you can barely tell they are there. I am planning to get retuned with the headers so standby for power updates.

Moving onto installing the SBG AP Racing Brake Kit. I went with the Ferodo DS2500 brake pads. This was my first time installing a BBK, but the install was very easy everything went smooth. The instructions were clear and everything lined up easy. I re-bled all 4 corners with Motul RBF600 fluid.

Stock Calipers + Rotors = 25.4lbs
AP Racing Calipers + SBG Rotors = 22.2lbs

The wheels clear the calipers fine, the stance of the car looks great visually. After an initial shakedown run the car feels great and the increased grip and stopping force gives me more confidence. My only issue on aggressive mountain turns I am rubbing the front fender liner clip/tab. The fender roll seems fine as i am not hitting the metal fender. So I have to figure something out and post an update.

Up Next:
Car Wash
Dyno tune
Front Fender Rubbing Fix
TRACK DAY

Here is a final look..

Last edited by SilliG; 04-28-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:19 PM

Ok took a hiatus. Here is a quick recap

1) Im apart of the fcuk Ballade crew. With their headers I lost power. I showed them the dyne test results. They did everything in the world to not refund me my money on brand new headers. It was swiftly removed, and sold used. Best part, I slapped my stock headers back on and viola all my power returns. Case in point I'll never buy another Ballade product again in my life and will encourage every s2000 owner to do the same. Horrible experience turned me away from cars for awhile.

2) Did a few track days, and got a Blacktrax baffled oil pan.

3) Still have the car, it was featured in Zygrene's video below.... with prices appreciating I am too chicken to take it on the track. It has retired to weekend warrior.

4) Welcome the Black Panther

I picked up another s2000 161k, one owner, clean carfax, all original paperwork and maintenance records. Prepare to watch me clean it up, and learn how to drive the wheels off of it.
For more regular updates from day to day you can see it on my IG car page
https://www.instagram.com/welfair_/?hl=en

Onwards and upwards stay toooned

Quick Reply: "SilliG" Build Thread