Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Slowteg- Build thread

Old 01-13-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick! I also started in autox and then moved to the track. I use photobucket for my junk
Old 01-14-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Summit Shenandoah Oct '14:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3ohpwnJGdI

I did use an external mic for this video sitting in the netting on the passenger side tranny tunnel, but I didn't use it going forward because it's a pita and one more thing to turn on/of and dangling around in my interior. The audio is nice but not nice enough to be worth the hassle.

I didn't make a bloopers vid for '14. Maybe one day I will (it's just so time consuming). Here's the rear getting loose on me at the Oct Shendoah event. For those that don't know the track. It's paved with a crown, and as soon as the rear scoots over the hump and is off camber, you better be ready. I was a little more aggressive throwing the car into the turn and wasn't quick enough..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdXKxJX4xR4
Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM

So '14 came to a close and I wanted to try and run with the staggered tire setup a little longer. The problem though is I didn't want to buy wheels twice, so just opted to make the jump to a square setup that fit the Stoptech front kit. I had the stoptech kit sitting in a box, and wasn't thrilled with how the oem brakes felt, nor the bad pad wear. Getting 4 days out of a set of front pads blows, and on a square setup with more grip up front, they'd probably burn up even quicker. I've seen locals get 2-3 days on the oem brakes with a square setup, so I knew that the move to a square setup means a BBK is necessary for me. It's a safety issue for me and tracking on a square setup with oem brakes just doesn't seem wise (assuming you aren't just putzing around the track).

Finding decent looking wheels that didn't require rolling fenders only leaves you with a few choices. I thought about the TSW Nurburgings and the Interlagos. I ended up getting the Interlagos 17x9 +63 and a set of 255 Dunlop Z2's. I wanted to stick with the original Z2's so I could have a better comparison when moving to the square setup. I rolled the front fenders for safety, and needed a 3mm spacer to clear the Stoptech calipers. I found some OEMish looking center caps and used them over the TSW centercaps so the wheels look OEM to the average joe. I have been strongly against rolling fenders, but I opted to roll the fronts because I didn't want to have a mauled fender. It was pretty easy work. Just heat up the fender with a heat gun and roll it.

Wife's Christmas present for '14. It ain't no SOS turbo kit, but better than nothing like most years :

Here's a shot of the car with the new wheels:

Here's a shot of the Stoptech kit installed. The wheel weights on the inside JUST clear the caliper, and by JUST I mean w/in a couple mm's:

Shot of the car with the center caps:

The stoptech brakes and specifically the calipers are massive. Some will knock them for their heavy weight, but they're proven and affordable. Seeing as the car is still a street car and I like driving it on the street, the OEM spare is now useless with the stoptech kit, so I looked into a solution and found the DC5R spare fits. Credit to afzan: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...8mm-bbk-users/ The downside is that you need to keep the spare deflated and it still protrudes out farther than the OEM spare, and you need a large spacer, but it fits (sorry not pics of the test fitting). In a pinch I won't be stranded.

Setup wise I opted to buy some hypercoil 11kg/mm front springs, and keep the KWV3 rear 8kg springs and see how it does. In hindsight I probably should've just bought 12k/10k, but hindsight is 20/20. I also swapped the rear bar back to the OEM '06, so I'm now running '00 FSB and '06 RSB. The car felt good on the street, and turn in is amazing, but I had to see how it'd do on track. Putzing around on the street I also found that VSA now is completely useless. The car turns in so well now (with maybe the slightest hint of oversteer) that I think the VSA system plays it safe and kicks in on even semi-putzing on the street. I've gotten used to turning it off as soon as I get in the car now.

I did install some Megan racing offset lower ball joints to add a little more camber in the front. I think I'm running about -3 in the front and -2.5 in the rear.

Summit Point- Shenandoah May '15
Here's a video from the event. Had a ton of traffic considering it's Yellow group. The square setup is awesome and I understand why people love it so much. Turn in on the car is absolutely amazing. On the old staggered tire setup you turn the wheel, wait a second for the suspension to compress and for the front end to move. Now it's almost instantaneous. You turn the wheel and the car just goes. The bigger tire up front makes for more consistent braking in the brake zones which is a huge benefit as well. Also when countersteering, the larger front tires makes catching the rear a lot easier since there isn't this "delay" from turning the wheel and having the front end respond. I can imagine though on higher speed stuff you gotta be careful with turn in because the increased lift on the rear could make for a less stable rear.

Running the PFC pads w/ the BBK, I found it easy to lockup the front tires and it took some getting used to. I had to adjust to the BBK by using less pedal pressure and pushing my braking zones later. With the old OEM brakes I had to use a lot more pedal pressure. As I get used to the brakes I can push the braking zones farther. Towards the end of the video I put in a new best time of 1:43XX. My last lap I missed a shift which would've been a good 1:42.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-agiQmRuSw

Almost caught up..
Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 PM

Got my rear rotors in the mail today, they sure look nice. Curious to see how they perform and last:

Also got some ES inserts for the diff mounts I'll need to install. Can't beat them as it'll cost me <$120 for everything including an old set of diff mounts from the junkyard:

I think I got all the mods I plan to do this year, just gotta find time to install them now (probably wait for some warmer weather). I am thinking about a seat later this year, just having a hard time deciding between a PP or SPG. I guess I need to find some to sit in to make the decision. The PP's seem to be hard to come by as well since I'm assuming Recaro is busy filling so many recalls..
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Does the fact that they had to recall all those seats bother you at all? I know the S2k community is in love with Recaro, but there are plenty of other seat manufacturers that haven't had to recall thousands of seats.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Does the fact that they had to recall all those seats bother you at all? I know the S2k community is in love with Recaro, but there are plenty of other seat manufacturers that haven't had to recall thousands of seats.
Me personally? Not really. Recaro has been around for a long time and something like this is bound to happen.

I'd be open to other seats, but just find that the hassle of messing with seats/mounts/brackets to not be worth the headache when a good solution already exists. A friend tried some other seats and had a huge ordeal getting them to fit. It's just not worth the headache. There seem to be two main manufacturers with seats that fit in the S nicely. Bride and Recaro (Kirkeys aren't terrible, just not very comfortable). Brides don't seem to be as nice as Recaros, hence I'm looking at some Recaros. I wish Sparcos fit well since I have a big local dealer but they don't.

I'm always up for suggestions..
Old 01-20-2016, 06:44 AM

I know you do your research. You know the dimensions of a Recaro PP and SPG. There are other seats of similar dimensions. Maybe you are right though. Maybe everyone just likes to hit the easy button and goes with what everyone else has in the form of Recaros/Brides (some real some fake). I certainly wouldn't run a Kirkey on the street.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
I know you do your research. You know the dimensions of a Recaro PP and SPG. There are other seats of similar dimensions. Maybe you are right though. Maybe everyone just likes to hit the easy button and goes with what everyone else has in the form of Recaros/Brides (some real some fake). I certainly wouldn't run a Kirkey on the street.
Yes dimensions can be very similar, but then it comes down to the seat mounts relative to the other seats and existing rails/brackets on the market and what will fit. A friend got a set of the OMP Champ-R's, and I admit they're very nice seats (especially for the $), but the fact that you gotta bash in the tranny tunnel sucks. The understated/simple looks of the Recaro seats are also a plus to me with just a simple logo. If I had a welder I might feel differently and try and rig things up myself, but I don't. Hopefully one day I will.. Unfortunately the S has a very tight interior, so you're definitely limited in terms of seat options if you want to keep the interior.

What seats are you gonna run on your car?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Rear rotors are nice. U need to cut some lip off off the SS BRACKETS THAT HOLD THE PAD in place
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Unfortunately the S has a very tight interior, so you're definitely limited in terms of seat options if you want to keep the interior.

What seats are you gonna run on your car?
The tight interior of the S2000 is probably the number one issue I have with the car. I am planning to install an OMP HTE-R XL, so I know I am already up for a very difficult install, but I have done my research and have expectations of what will need to be modified to make it fit. I found people that have installed that seat, and I have pictures of modifications they have made. I have found people that have installed similarly sized seats and have pictures of modifications they have made. I don't have a welder, but I have contacted multiple shops that do and gotten quotes for modifying the tunnel. I haven't decided if I want to try bash first, or if I will just break out the cut off wheel till it fits and then have metal welded back in later.

Quick Reply: Slowteg- Build thread