Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

SoHonda Garage. S2000 Build

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your plans.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

This is going to be a great build folks! I started following SoHonda before there was SoHonda. Can't wait to see what becomes of this AP1!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle
Looking forward to this build. I am a big fan of the SHG EP3 and DC5 builds on Honda-Tech. They are exceedingly detailed, well thought out, and very well executed builds. Good luck!!
Thanks, we try our best

Originally Posted by andrewhake
This is going to be a great build folks! I started following SoHonda before there was SoHonda. Can't wait to see what becomes of this AP1!
Your making me blush

I took her our to the local Cars and coffee event, and enjoyed myself so much I forgot to take pictures...

Sunrise in the garage...
Name:  null_zps0133c0b3.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  null_zps58bec3bf.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  89.7 KB

With my buddy Joe's firechicken

Some pics others took of my car...

thats all for now...
Old 10-30-2013, 03:43 AM

I recently wrote a couple of SHG Blog articles describing the story of how the S2000 came into my life as well as my initial impressions. I will share my photos and impressions below:

Part 1: http://sohondagarage.blogspot.com/20...nth-of_29.html

Name:  IMG_6470_zpsce70119f.jpg
Views: 1316
Size:  86.7 KB

Part 2 below:

Name:  IMG_6440_zpsef8d67e7.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  59.1 KB

To me the S2000 is a great mix of old and new generation Honda engineering. Without getting into the whole 'golden era' debate, I feel the S2000 has many qualities of the 'old cars' while also benefiting from Honda's new technology and manufacturing processes. I get to 'have my cake and eat it too' as they say.

Name:  IMG_6476_zpsea3b8c2d.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  89.2 KB

It sounds terrible and as cheesy as kraft macaroni, but after the first drive home, I knew this was it. This was the car I was looking for. It is loud and raw and about as engaging as any car could be. Every button of the climate control and audio controls is reachable will your thumbs still fully wrapped around the wheel. Even the cd player is blocked off for fewer lights and distractions. This driver focused theme is most noticeable for me when driving at night. The cabin is the darkest I have been in. You see nothing but rpm bars, speed indication, and the road ahead, lit up by the beautiful HID's the s2000 is known for.

Read any review of the s2000 and they will say the steering is razor sharp and super responsive and they would be right. Though my one and maybe only gripe with the car, after having gotten used to the ultra quick ratios of the 8th gen Civic and Fit, is that the steering ratio is a bit wide. I find myself having to crank more steering angle then I anticipate in a corner or round about. The OEM dampers are fantastic. They have great low speed stiffness allowing for quick transitions with little to no body roll, but soft enough high speed to maintain what I consider great ride comfort over sharp cracks and dips in the road. Throw the S into a long off ramp or carousel and the softer springs become apparent and there is a substantial amount of roll. An unfortunate but necessary evil when selling a car to the general public whom will probably care more about comfort than the true cornering potential of the car. I really enjoy the ability of this car to transfer weight exactly where, when and how much you want to each corner. I cannot wait to truly push the car in a closed course setting.

Name:  IMG_6431_zpsdb4000e5.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  98.2 KB

The engine is of course the pièce de résistance as is the case with any of Honda's offerings. It is buttery smooth all the way to its astounding 9,200 rpm cut. Engineering nerds will love the fact that the F20C had the highest specific output of any production engine until of course the Ferrari 458 stole the crown. The F20C also has a higher mean piston speed when compared to Sebastian Vettel's 2013 RBR F1 engine. ( 25.2 m/sec compared to 23.88m/sec). Again the journalists also do not lie, that is, the F20 is infact a torqueless wonder. Sure if you want to bang around traffic on the highway or from light to light this car doesn't offer much. I quite enjoy the fact that when you want, the s2000 is as easy to drive in a pedestrian manor as your moms civic. The transmission feel is an interesting mix between the B and K series units. It has direct mechanical feel with tons of feedback like the B series, though has that super crisp tight gate feel associated with the K shifter boxes.

Name:  IMG_6458_zps043b076d.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  108.8 KB

As good as the car is in factory stock form, I will begin the process of giving it the SHG treatment this winter. The theme of round one will be suspension and safety to give me something fun and safe to use on track and from time to time on the street. I still wish to drive to the track and to hang with friends and goto local meets with the car. First I will tighten up the suspension by replacing the old tired bushings with poly/delrin/spherical versions where applicable. I will also be adding tunability with single rebound adjustable coilovers with custom track oriented valving and spring rates. Geometry will kept in check with front and rear roll center adjusters and rear toe arms to reset and tune roll center and toe/camber gain. Calipers will remain factory with upgraded pads both for street and again for track duties. I will be going with a square setup of 17x9 wheels wrapped in 255 street tires all around.

Name:  IMG_6452_zps75e10848.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  108.5 KB

Safety upgrades will consist of a custom built SHG roll bar, head restraint seats 5/6 pt harnesses, and a new steering wheel. The soft top will need to be removed for the roll bar so a hardtop will also be installed. The rest of the car will be gone through and all necessary worn out or old parts will be refreshed and replaced. Any unneeded parts such as the AC and air pump will be removed for weight savings.

Name:  IMG_6432_zps9987db86.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  91.4 KB

The next summer and years to come will consist of a stand alone ECU, the typical bolt ons, and upgrading the aero as necessary. My inspirations if I had to choose just a few for this build are the Porsche GT3 RS street car, as well as any FIA GT3 class endurance racing car. It is important to make the car quick, but it is just as important to make the car bulletproof reliable just as is the case with endurance motorsports.

Name:  IMG_6472_zpsca477787.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  62.9 KB
Old 10-30-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These threads restore my faith in the S2000 community. Love SHG, I have also followed the Midori and EP3 builds on H-T.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deano_d
These threads restore my faith in the S2000 community. Love SHG, I have also followed the Midori and EP3 builds on H-T.
Thanks man, they are getting 'more accessable' but there are still people out there who appreciate the car for what it is.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
It sounds terrible and as cheesy as kraft macaroni, but after the first drive home, I knew this was it. This was the car I was looking for. It is loud and raw and about as engaging as any car could be. Every button of the climate control and audio controls is reachable will your thumbs still fully wrapped around the wheel. Even the cd player is blocked off for fewer lights and distractions. This driver focused theme is most noticeable for me when driving at night. The cabin is the darkest I have been in. You see nothing but rpm bars, speed indication, and the road ahead, lit up by the beautiful HID's the s2000 is known for.
I love driving at night for this very reason.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car, enjoyed reading some of your blog as well.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lord09
Nice car, enjoyed reading some of your blog as well.
Thanks we do our best. We try to keep it focused on our interests and values and not trying to be too trendy.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Originally Posted by Deano_d' timestamp='1383142861' post='22853510
Thanks man, they are getting 'more accessable' but there are still people out there who appreciate the car for what it is.
Amen to that. Too many ruined on this board alone. I'm glad to see some being used in the manner they were meant for.

Quick Reply: SoHonda Garage. S2000 Build