Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Stormtroooper's 06 GPW Journal

Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc
Looks like you nailed it, great job, has to be satisfying.
Thank you, it definitely is satisfying. I put her in storage for the winter and at the beginning of the year I got deployed again, so I’m currently in the middle east, and won’t return until the end of the year. So I hope there’s some good weather left before the winter again, so I can take it out and enjoy it some more.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 AM

I’ve been on the fence about coating the car, and last weekend I went ahead and pulled the trigger. But before I do, I wanted to chase some of the smaller/finer imperfections I let go the last time. If I’m going to basically lock in the paint I want to do it right. The following is the process I decided on, along with the products I used;

Wash
Clay with griots medium clay bar and ONR as the lubricant
Compound: Meguiars microfiber cutting pad with Jescar Correcting Compound
Polish: Rupes white foam pad with Sonax Perfect Finish
Coating: Kamikaze Miyabi
Tools:
Rupes LHR21 Mark 2
Rupes LHR75E
Rupes iBrid Nano
Rupes BigFoot Claw tool
Miguiars Microfiber cutting pads
Rupes white foam pads
Jescar Correcting Compound
Sonax Perfect Finish
Kamikaze Miyabi Coat
Kamikaze door stoppers
The Rag Company microfiber towels
Griots garage medium clay
Optimum No Rinse
Adams Car Shampoo
Master Blaster
Tuf shine tire brush

Looking back i should have taken more pics but it took 2 days and I was more focused on getting it done and coated before I had to go back to work. I didn’t want to start the correction and not finish it, so here’s the few pics my girlfriend actually snapped while I was working around the car. The first one is when I was compounding the fender, the second is toward the end when I was polishing the door jamb, and the last pic Is the final product on the trunk jamb after compounding/polishing.

I’ll post up some after shots of the car in a bit, the car is in the garage for the winter so it won’t be out until spring. But my GOD does it look good! I’m so happy with the look of the coating. The gloss and depth is amazing. I hope the pics can capture it.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 PM

Here’s a couple, just as I suspected the pics don’t do the car justice.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

All the good stuff, including the arsenal of polishers...you must be an Obsessed Garage follower Great work
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Hey! You want to drive up to Richmond and detail my '06? Would love for it to look close to yours!

-- Chuck
Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
All the good stuff, including the arsenal of polishers...you must be an Obsessed Garage follower Great work
Hah! I do follow OG, but i got most my stuff from Esoteric and before i followed Matt. Which coincidently is where he got the same info and education on some of the products he uses.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Hey! You want to drive up to Richmond and detail my '06? Would love for it to look close to yours!

-- Chuck
lol, it’s a bit far of a drive to bring everything. But if you find yourself up in NJ, let me know. We can work something out.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:41 AM

SPRING IS HERE!!!!

So on Tuesday March 26th i think it got up into the 60s here, so i decided to unplug the battery tender and pull the car out for it’s first drive of the year. It felt great! I’ll be doing some much needed maintenance with all new fluids/filters/plugs this weekend to get her ready for the year.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormtroooper
Hah! I do follow OG, but i got most my stuff from Esoteric and before i followed Matt. Which coincidently is where he got the same info and education on some of the products he uses..
Esoteric is in my backyard! I went when he did his unveiling of the 991.1 when they corrected and ppf'd the car.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Beautiful, perfection! I used pretty much all of the same maintenance except for the oil. This year I switched to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from Mobil 1.