Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Tama05's Build

Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
Our engine bays look very similar. Does the ASM spacer taper the the Toda throttle body from 70 to 60mm? In other words, is it's intention to increase airflow velocity? Did you port match the intake manifold? I was thinking of doing the same thing.
The throttle body itself tapers from 70-65mm and the spacer provides a slight taper to match the intake manifold and reduce turbulence of the air entering the manifold. If you go to GoTuning’s site and look up the ASM spacer, they have a drawing to show this. I didn’t modify the manifold port at all, just cleaned everything.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey man, I've been considering ditching my transitional Berk 63/70 to run the 60/70 Toda (coming from an OEM header). Not sure if you installed it yet but how are you liking it so far?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaltima
Hey man, I've been considering ditching my transitional Berk 63/70 to run the 60/70 Toda (coming from an OEM header). Not sure if you installed it yet but how are you liking it so far?
Hey Chris, I’ve had it on the car for a while now and feel that a test pipe is the most noticeable improvement on the vehicle overall. There’s definitely better flow from it versus my Berk 70mm, but it sounds like you already have a transitional pipe, so I’m not sure how much you’ll be able to tell a difference. I’m also looking into getting a single exit exhaust, just debating on which 70mm system to get. I feel that a single exit will provide the best performance for the car, plus I plan to swap the rear bumper to an ASM single exit in the future.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:00 PM

*Update 11/4/2018

Haven't updated the thread in a while. Not much has really been going on with the car, but due to some unfortunate circumstances, parts had to be repaired and replaced. Going to try and catch up from where I last left off, with the pictures that I have available.

Soft Top Removal
Ever since I purchased the hard top, I've rarely if ever used the soft top. For that reason I decided to remove it and in the process, lighten up the car a little bit. I googled the job and found a detailed write up on the entire process and it helped me out greatly. Overall the job took about 6 hours to remove the top, frame, and motors, plus reinstalling the interior and cleaning those pieces up. There was a little more noise after the removal, but honestly I was also running the Greddy SE dual, and so the noise wasn't a big deal. After weighing the soft top, it ended up being 61.2 lbs total weight removed for the job.

Unfortunately, the ASM carbon lip is no longer with me, but I will hopefully get another in the future. Had the bumper repaired and repainted.

Got a new set of Ce28s in bronze through a group buy with Evasive. There were a few delays in the process, but was happy to have a new set of my favorite wheels in bronze. These were also 17x9.5+50 versus my old formula silver set which were 17x9+40. I haven't tried a set of tires outside of Dunlops for a few years, so I decided to get another set of Bridgestones. I went with the Potenza RE-71Rs in 255/40/r17 all around, and they're fantastic tires.

While I was waiting on wheels and the bumper to be fixed, I put the car on jack stands and took care of some small jobs on the car. One of the things I wanted to do, was respray my rear fender wells, due to the original coating starting to fade significantly. After a good scrubbing and some towels to mask the exhaust and suspension, it was done. I used a Duplicolor undercoating spray for this.

I also swapped out my Duralast Yellow Top battery that wasn't bad after 6 years, but wanted something newer and lighter. I found a great deal on an Odyssey PC-680 as well as the terminal kit. While I swapped that out, I took off my valve cover to repaint it since it was chipping. There wasn't a crinkle red paint available, so I used black, but may redo it again in the future, for now its great.

Finally, I swapped out my Greddy SE dual exhaust after about 6 years. I replaced it with an Amuse Euro S in 70mm, and it's amazing. The exhaust is very quiet compared to the Greddy but still a little sporty. However......whenever you decide to really run the car, it screams just as the Greddy would, except in a much cleaner and more crisp tone. I absolutely love this exhaust so far, now I need to get an ASM rear bumper to get rid of the OEM AP2 rear. That about catches everything up for the car as of now, just been enjoying it everyday. I haven't been able to track it for over a year but am looking to try to get back out soon.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

The car looks fantastic Austin! Looks like you've relocated to Florida finally. Let me know if you'd like to get together for a Sebring day next year!
Old 11-05-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually love the ASM bumper without the lip. Looking great!
Old 11-06-2018, 03:23 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Looking good! I did always like the Formula Silver wheels on your car but Bronze also looks great on GPW. New size is much better as well.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
The car looks fantastic Austin! Looks like you've relocated to Florida finally. Let me know if you'd like to get together for a Sebring day next year!
Yeah Ricky that would be great to get out there, I saw the videos from this past weekend and that really got me wanting to get out again.

Originally Posted by RAizzle
I actually love the ASM bumper without the lip. Looking great!
I was skeptical at first because I loved the look with the lip, but honestly really do like it without just as much, if not better.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Looking good! I did always like the Formula Silver wheels on your car but Bronze also looks great on GPW. New size is much better as well.
Thanks Steve I did too, unfortunately I ran into an issue and needed a replacement set, still have the others as well. I do like the 9.5+50 too, not a major difference from the old set, but just enough.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Update* 5/6/20

The past year or so hasn't been very exciting in terms of build progress on the S2000. Currently the car is sitting with a little over 85,000 miles on it and still runs like a charm. I have recently swapped over to a set of Michelin tires since the Bridgestones were wearing out, and the car is mainly a daily for me.
About a month ago, I was working at a house and a neighbor backed into the driver's side door to my car. Luckily it was just the door, but unfortunately, it was the door! After a bunch of back and forth with the insurance and body shop, I decided to get some extra work done to the car. The body shop already had to paint the driver's side of the car, so I opted for them to fix a few other things on the front end as well. The OEM front bumper and lip were both damaged from years of driving and a few offs at the track. The passenger side fender was dented from me not paying attention to my jack stands, plus the hood was littered with rock chips. Long story short, I ended up having about 3/4 of my car repaired and repainted because the front end was in need of help. The passenger side headlight had a bad gap, and the fender paint didn't match well with the rest of the car. While doing this, I also pulled the trigger on some new OEM headlight housings, headlight and fender brackets, and the small bumper tabs to ensure the work was being done with straight factory parts. There's a few small areas that need to be touched up and the body shop is going to take the car to polish it out once the paint cures a little longer. Anyways, I tried to get some pictures of the progress along with some other random ones I've had to post as well.

Kicker 6.5" Speakers with Tweeters and Crossovers

Had to trim the tabs for the Kicker Tweeter to fit since it was much larger than oem.

Moving onto the respray, starting with taking everything apart and assessing the damage

Front emblem and bumper plugs were removed

Passenger side headlight was damaged and the bracket was bent

The original damage that started this

Some jack stand damage under the passenger side fender that needed to be addressed, along with the headlight area

New front end brackets painted

New OEM door installed after having jams and inside painted

Out with the old....

In with the new....

More prep work

Front bumper and lip in the booth before being sprayed

Emblem and bumper plug holes filled

The following users liked this post:
RAizzle (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:40 PM

Continued from last post:
Got to the shop to see the car sitting out front. Everything looked so much better in terms of alignment and overall color on the front end. The removal of the emblem and bumper plugs is so subtle, but so much cleaner. The car isn't completely perfect, and some of the imperfections will be fixed over the next couple weeks, but it is definitely much better than before.

Big improvement on this corner of the car, lines are much better

Like nothing ever happened

The body shop even coated both frame rails for me

The new headlights were a killer on my wallet, but damn do they look good!

One area that bugged me was the inside of the fuel door, now it's brand new!

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the results and I know that this will be improved upon over the weeks to come. I really didn't want to have to do this work right now with the car, but having half the car blended and not addressing major issues on the front end would be lazy of me. I wanted to do a full respray, but I cannot afford to do so right now, so I fixed the most noticeable damage. I'll be doing some more cleaning up on the car and just enjoying having it back.

Quick Reply: Tama05's Build