Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Thread of Cody.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 103 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Thread of Cody.

I've already posted this before, I deleted the thread because it was a mess. This thread will be a bit more organized & easier to follow.

I have wanted an S2000 for quite a few years and in March of 2016, thisdreams became a reality. The car is a 2000, 140ish thousand miles on it, all stock other than a K&N intake & a stereo of some sort, along with some rust for weight reduction. Well that & a rusty battery tie-down, incomplete maintenance history (IE: almost none), interior wear, a fairly major tear in the top and....zero evidence of any collisions anywhere on the car. Additionally the car just felt better than any of the other seven I drove over the few months I spent searching for the right base for me to start with.

My goal for the car is to improve any weaknesses that I come across; all while sticking to an aesthetic vision inspired by the car that originally opened my eyes to the S2000, the J's Racing original Touge AP1 w/ J's half bumper, SSR Type C, etc. That era of Japanese automotive modification has always felt right to me, whether in the way Civics were modified for Osaka's Loop, drift style and even period JGTC cars.

Before we get to any of that, here is the car when I first started driving it.

After getting the car & putting the AP1 wheels/Direzza ZII on, the next priority was sorting out basic maintenance. Over the years & past projects, I've found that it doesn't matter how many cool parts your car has...when things start going wrong that you could've prevented, it really sucks the fun out of things. With that said, the first things I picked up were some basic fluids, I wound up with Motul 90 PA for the diff, Motul RBF600 for the brakes & clutch, and OEM Honda MTFII for the trans.

I got the rust repaired before I had even put 100 miles on the car (outside of the 200 mile drive home).

With some basic maintenance performed (in addition to fluids the car got new coil packs, spark plugs, a valve adjustment & an alignment) I set out to pick up the parts necessary to fulfill my vision for the car. I began with the exterior, picking up the following:

J's Racing Half Bumper & Carbon Canards.

HKS Hipermax IV GT

With this car I wanted everything I added to the car to be street worthy, but also as good or better than the OEM part it was replacing. While no Ohlins DFV, I trusted HKS to develop a quality product & the spring rates seem to fit my need perfectly (install to come).

As far as actual updates on the car itself, I've very much lagged on this. I didn't want to install anything until I had all the parts in hand, most notably wheels & tires. I can't imagine how goofy an otherwise stock AP1 would look with a J's half bumper & canards, thus I wanted to hold off. Recently I got the itch & installed my coilovers, this is the result (with the rears about as low as they'd go without removing/modifying anything & the fronts with plenty of room to go lower).

Thus far, I've been tremendously impressed with the GT. The car rides exceptionally well, better than my daily Honda Fit in many instances.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:09 PM

Winter of 2016/17: I acquired a set of Falken's new RT615K+, in 255/40/17 sizing.

And to mount them somewhere, I picked up a set of 17x9 +45 Advan RGIII from Kami Speed.

Summer of 2017:

Advans are mounted.

August of 2017:

I had my J's lip/canards painted/mounted. Put on a banner that I had made.

Winter of 2017/18:

I acquired a nifty exhaust set-up (Mugen AP1 header & catback, EVS 63mm high flow cat)

Also picked up Ballade Sports' hard rubber engine/trans mounts.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:24 PM

April of 2018, I installed some things.

Big things first, the exhaust + mounts went in. Mounts feel VERY close to OEM, which is exactly what I was hoping for. Exhaust is shockingly similar in sound to OEM, in both volume & tone...which is not what I sought but it is nice for longer drives.

You may also have noticed the OEM mirrors are not present in those photos. I purchased a set of Craftsquare GT mirrors from a friend (probably best known as potatoglasses on instagram), I absolutely adore them. Also present is a CWest eyeline kit, I believe these to be a piece that looks awful on most cars, but suits my own wonderfully. A part I would not recommend to most but I'll never take off of my car.

One last change was OEM Honda Access premium mats, an NSX-R shift boot, Arvou shift knob & polished shifter surround.

With the car all together I 'showed' it at Wekfest Chicago in May.

A nice surprise was getting attention from Joey of the Chronicles.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:33 PM

I've not changed anything since wekfest, simply been enjoying the car and putting a bunch of miles on it. As of now the car is in winter storage and I've just sold my house in the suburbs to relocate to an apartment in a major city. As such changes will come slower from here on out & there'll be a larger focus on maintenance than anything else. I want the car to be reliable & ready to go every time I make it out to the locale where I store it. I've got a few other sets of wheels sitting around for the car, but until I've gotten them to the point where I'm happy with how they work on the car, they stay in the vault.

Here are some pictures of the car from the past year of driving.

This is a streamlined version of the thread I posted a couple years back. I've bought & sold a couple of parts without ever using them for various reasons. They're listed below, feel free to ask why I ruled out using the parts & I'm happy to explain a bit.

Bought/sold/never used:
Recaro Pole Position ABE
Mugen S1 w/ Mugen S2000 rail
Advan RG 17x8.5 +31
J's Racing 60RS Ti
J's Racing S2 RCA (Front)

I've also had a pair of Mugen compliance bushings sitting around since 2016, those will finally be put to use this winter, as I hope to finally refresh my suspension.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Damn this looks great, well done! The wheels are perfect
Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice to go through all your progress again
Old 11-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I need to make one of these threads. Car looks great, but you already know I love it.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Uglyobesegamer View Post
Damn this looks great, well done! The wheels are perfect
Thanks!

Originally Posted by gawa View Post
Nice to go through all your progress again
Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_ View Post
I need to make one of these threads. Car looks great, but you already know I love it.
Thanks friends, three years broken down into four small posts is wild.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Man. Guys like you and Ricky are out here turning the J’s half lip into a nearly certain purchase for me.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by awhit17 View Post
Man. Guys like you and Ricky are out here turning the J’s half lip into a nearly certain purchase for me.
omg twins
The following users liked this post:
Emil St-Hilaire (12-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Thread of Cody.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands