Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts

Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 212 Likes on 137 Posts

Haha I didn't realize you were joking. I suppose sarcasm gets lost on the internet. Also, I read about your earlier trouble with the Toda exhaust and from what I understand the transmission tunnel from 00-05 and 06-09 is very different.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by second2none
Nice pickup on the brake calipers!
Thanks. It was totally unnecessary but I couldn't resist the deal on the classifieds. I'm going on one week without checking out that section. Getting closer to the wedding date and I'm a bit short. It might have to do with me buying too many mods.

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
Haha I didn't realize you were joking. I suppose sarcasm gets lost on the internet. Also, I read about your earlier trouble with the Toda exhaust and from what I understand the transmission tunnel from 00-05 and 06-09 is very different.
No it does not. It's okay, hence one wouldn't have a serious conversation over chats/texts either. "It" just gets lost.
It is different indeed. So the hanger on the mid-pipe needed bending and the tunnel needed a little hammering to create additional space. What was weird is that the Toda test pipe couldn't be used either. Apparently Toda confirmed that it is indeed shorter thus screwing up the alignment. So I'm still using my Berk HFC since my Berk test pipe tore off at the O2 bung prior with the j shaped defouler being too heavy.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Car is looking great, Rico.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the calipers working out for you? they will probably be my next move after the wheels get put on.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is looking Great!
keep up the good work!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by FISH22
Car is looking great, Rico.
Thanks Pete. Put some more miles on that Nizmo Z.

Originally Posted by ZDMS2K
How are the calipers working out for you? they will probably be my next move after the wheels get put on.
So far so good. I haven't driven the S much lately. I will find out tomorrow when I head down to the dragon event.

Originally Posted by ICULOOKN
Car is looking Great!
keep up the good work!
Thanks. Modding is slowing down a bit. Just need to get that flash pro tuned and enjoy the car a bit before buying that ASM bonnet.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by second2none
Nice pickup on the brake calipers!
Once in a while there is a good deal to be had in the classifieds. I believe I was lucky to catch both the ASM exhaust and the spoon calipers. Now I just stay out so there's less temptation.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

love the exhaust glad you got everything sorted out
Old 04-22-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by S2KiChad
love the exhaust glad you got everything sorted out
Thanks. I'm glad also. Even though I had to spend a little more extra with labor cost with the first failed attempt. Lesson learned.

So I spent quite some time in the S during the week of the annual dragon event. It took a bit over nine hours to drive from Queens, NY to Marion, VA where I met up with a bunch of folks from NYC, Toronto, Michigan and Virginia. I had to drive through some heavy down pours and I'm just glad I made it. The ZIIs hydroplaned twice from lane changes even with a good amount of tread left.

I suppose it would be a good time to actually review the Toda exhaust (70mm). I think in the first 2 hours of driving...I thought my ear drums were going to burst. I had my OEM hardtop on still and the amount of droning no matter what RPM or gear I was in, was immense. Even with the lightest pressure on the gas pedal, the droning would start. However, when you ease off the gas and keep it constant and again no matter what RPM or gear, it is quiet. No drone. No noise. For the most part of my drive to Marion, VA, I kept it 5-10 mph above speed limit. I don't have the cruise control wired, so I just tried to keep it steady so I can hear music and also not kill myself. I was actually amazed that after my second fill-up (just to fop off the tank), I got 320.9 miles to the tank as I arrived to the nearby Sunoco gas station in Marion, VA. I admit I was playing with fire, trying to see just how many miles I can eek out even with the gas light on. There are moments I was hoping I didn't need to call anyone at the hotel to help me if I were to run dry and be stranded on the side of the freeway. In any case, I made it. Now I know with freeway driving, I can get 320.9 miles. No need to test my curiosity again.

For the rest of the week with more spirited driving and top down, I have come to terms with the exhaust. I've accepted the fact that it would be loud with drone especially with the hardtop on. With the softtop up, it's more bearable. With the softtop down, it's a non-issue. At WOT, it's just loud, no getting around it. I would say it's definitely not an exhaust I would put on a daily driven S. Since I don't drive my S often, I like it for what it is. It's even got this burble at low RPM when easing through traffic. I like the exhaust.

This year at the dragon, the S was a little less tail happy. With the eibach front and rear sways in and damper adjustments tweaked, it felt better. But the VSA still kicked in on numerous occasions. I'm glad I have this option on the S. I'm not as great as a driver as many of the people on here seem to be. So the VSA keeps me alive and continue owning the S. It goes off when I'm autoxing. Good enough. For the folks that have never participated in the annual spring or fall event. Find the time to attend at least once. It's a good experience. You get to meet some good people. Put faces to screen names. On top of that, you get to drive some good roads.

With that I leave with a few pictures that was taken by a member, TheStigSC.

Time for a carwash. It's always busy because we love our S to be clean and shiny
[attachment=57603ragon2014-1-3_carwash_resized.jpg]

On our way to Franklin, NC
[attachment=57604ragon2014-2-3_rolling_resized.jpg]

I don't know any gang signs, so that's that
[attachment=57605ragon2014-3-3_peace_resized.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-dragon2014-1-3_carwash_resized.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-dragon2014-2-3_rolling_resized.jpg   TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts-dragon2014-3-3_peace_resized.jpg  
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

saw your car at rockin the dragon, looks great man

Quick Reply: TW00Si - Just another GPW with mismatched parts