Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

vishaalidoiswin's Silverstone AP1 [Timeline]

Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by vishaalidoiswin
Nope no padding on the bottom, it's the same material throughout. A layer of something soft between the glovebox and the mount would be a good idea, in fact, the instructions actually state to do exactly that. I was worried about this as well too, but I doubt it'll be moving at all relative to the glovebox, so it's really just the edges of the bottom of the baseplate that might be an issue. I'll take it off after a couple weeks and add padding if there's any sign of wear on the glovebox, hopefully it's not too late by then D:
Thanks for the clarification and looking forward to your results. Interested in seeing some of your footage too just for the sake of perspective. Probably gonna pick up a Hero 7 black eventually...or just hold out until they have a new one, I have a long ways to go on my build still; getting camera footage and driving videos is probably last on my list at this point. Still, I love to snatch these things up while they're still available. Love the Modifry stuff. I bought his soft top straps, DCI, cupholder bracket, and now his camera mount. The only thing I can't bring myself to do is buy his phone mount....It would probably be the greatest thing ever to have in my car in terms of utility, but I just can't bring myself to trim even that tiny amount of non-essential material from my dash, even though you'll never see it. I know, I'm weird.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle
Thanks for the clarification and looking forward to your results. Interested in seeing some of your footage too just for the sake of perspective. Probably gonna pick up a Hero 7 black eventually...or just hold out until they have a new one, I have a long ways to go on my build still; getting camera footage and driving videos is probably last on my list at this point. Still, I love to snatch these things up while they're still available. Love the Modifry stuff. I bought his soft top straps, DCI, cupholder bracket, and now his camera mount. The only thing I can't bring myself to do is buy his phone mount....It would probably be the greatest thing ever to have in my car in terms of utility, but I just can't bring myself to trim even that tiny amount of non-essential material from my dash, even though you'll never see it. I know, I'm weird.
Ask and you shall receive, link to test footage will be posted here as soon as YouTube is done processing it

I don't know all the GoPro models inside and out, but the Hero 7 Black has great image stabilization from what I've seen. There's not much of a difference between the 6 and the 5. I have a feeling the same might happen for the upcoming 8 and current 7. You could wait for the 8 to come out and get the 7 for a good deal. BNIB or slightly used off craigslist can always lead to a great deal too.

And nah I totally understand :P I'm always hesitant to do irreversible mods. You could look in to suction cup mounts or vent mounts, which might be a better solution since they're completely removable.

In case the other 3 people reading my thread didn't know what I was talking about earlier, you should check out o_O S2000 on YouTube. Anyone on this site who cares about actually driving should see these. They're put together so well, with great audio and video quality. In fact, he has separate, high quality mics just for better audio.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

Someone teach me how to use YouTube.. anyway, here it is now :P

The GoPro cuts clips into 4GB, just to keep things quick I picked a chunk that has the section of the road I like the most. And I cut out the beginning, which was my driving to the road. Apologies for the abrupt end. This was far from my best run, but my most recent. Also this is a road that I don't hit often, so I don't have it totally memorized like I do for my usual, closer route. I'm going to start running this road a lot more, however, since it's much more rewarding.

I had the GoPro Hero 5 Black set to 2.7k/60 fps/Linear FOV. The uploaded video shows the full frame, nothing is cropped. In the future I may crop a bit since the camera angle leads to a lot of the frame being "wasted" on the interior. Windows open a bit too, so there's a bit of wind noise too.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by vishaalidoiswin
Someone teach me how to use YouTube.. anyway, here it is now :P

The GoPro cuts clips into 4GB, just to keep things quick I picked a chunk that has the section of the road I like the most. And I cut out the beginning, which was my driving to the road. Apologies for the abrupt end. This was far from my best run, but my most recent. Also this is a road that I don't hit often, so I don't have it totally memorized like I do for my usual, closer route. I'm going to start running this road a lot more, however, since it's much more rewarding.

I had the GoPro Hero 5 Black set to 2.7k/60 fps/Linear FOV. The uploaded video shows the full frame, nothing is cropped. In the future I may crop a bit since the camera angle leads to a lot of the frame being "wasted" on the interior. Windows open a bit too, so there's a bit of wind noise too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFiIPZETABo
Very nice. I'll be ordering my GoPro sooner than later now ;P....I think the new one will be more expensive, and since the 7 is on the way out it's cheaper, no? Isn't MSRP on release $500? I wouldn't expect huge improvements anyway....Pulling the trigger now.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Couple pretty big updates from the past couple weeks. One great, one not so great.

First, the good: Spoon Subframe Rigid Collars

This video describes the problem they solve:

I was extremely impressed by the results, which are apparent over all styles of driving. A lot of the creaking sounds the car normally makes is a result of the gap described in the above video, those creaks are gone. The creaking sounds I hear now all come from much higher up, in the interior. Vibrations are dampened out a lot too, which is nice, for comfort and for performance as well, but only if you really pushing the car.

Part of the reason I went with Ohlins over other coilovers was because of how applicable the DFV technology is to touge driving. The rigid collars complement this well. When cornering close to the limit over rough road surface, the wheels wouldn't settle as quickly or smoothly as they do now with the Rigid Collars. With regards to steering and suspension feel, the rigid collars make the car feel a lot more predictable.

So this gives you better handling, the car just feels put together better, and overall lower NVH. You can't ask for more, there's literally no downside.

And update number two for the day, a collision with a deer :/ The s2k is currently in the shop. This was one of the times where I didn't have my GoPro on, too, so no footage. In case you're wondering, the deer is fine, I was was able to slow down to about 25mph at the time of impact.

The Rigid Collar install marks the first time where I don't feel like anything's really missing on the car for the way I drive it. It really feels set-up the way I want, which is great. We'll see how long that feeling lasts :P

Can't wait to get the car back before this weekend, already having withdrawals

Last edited by vishaalidoiswin; 04-08-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 PM

And back

Old 04-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Couple small updates:

First off, time came to replace my front brake pads, so I replaced them with Ferodo DS2500.
The OEM brakes are great for normal daily-ing or some light "spirited" canyon carving type driving. But for heavier stuff, like mountain driving, where you're living in VTEC and constantly braking, OEM falls short. With the DS2500, the initial bite is pretty grabby, and it's easy to modulate from there. These are perfect for my current type of driving, which is mostly mountains, and little bit of street. Brake dust isn't a huge issue with these, especially since I wipe down my wheels every several days anyway. Also there's a very faint squeal at times, definitely not a problem at all, but just something I noticed. Interestingly, they have a different smell too, a little more burn-y? Idk don't smell your brakes it's probably not good for you. I'm planning on replacing the rears with the same when that time comes, super happy with these!

Second is some baseplate updates:
Recently, I actually had no choice but to remove the baseplate. Believe it or not, my wind deflector caught a bird while I was driving with the top down.... yeah a little baby bird. Not fun. At all. I'll spare the details, but it was pretty messy. Honestly though, I was really lucky with what I was left to clean. Just the baseplate, wind deflector, and top of the glovebox. Easily could have been way way worse. Also thank god for Simple Green, definitely recommend keeping some at home, this stuff got rid of the smell effortlessly. And believe me the smell was bad.

Anyway, earlier in this thread, there's some talk of the baseplate possibly damaging to the top of the glovebox. Here's a picture of what mine looks like now:

I'm not too upset by the scratching, it's barely visible. But in hindsight, this should have been obvious, the baseplate is pretty abrasive.
Before replacing the baseplate, I layered the bottom with some e-tape to prevent further damage. I recommend doing the same.

That's it for now! Hopefully my car doesn't attract too many more animals :/

And here's a picture of some of my friends' cars from last night, just to end this post on a good note.

Left to Right: Drifter, E46 slammed on bags, M3, M3, and a lawnmower. Got a diverse group

Have fun out there everyone