Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Wait that isn't an F20c

Old 09-06-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cliff notes:

high school kid builds 700+ hp electric s2000, stay tuned for more details
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That's awesome. I'm subscribing for sure.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know what to say, why on s2k?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 PM

Why not?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM

subscribed!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:01 AM

This thread has blown me away to be quite honest. I remembered watching the new Tron movie earlier this year and then driving to the store in the S and thinking this car will be so outdated in 20 years. Vehicles will all be electric and I should educate myself in depth on the subject because it is about to explode exponentially, the future is around the corner. You're most likely only two or three years younger than me and you're with out a doubt the next Steve Jobs. Point me in the right direction to further myself in the electronic/battery field.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by thinmint
Dream team
Moar pics of the dream team
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^For real.

Wow, what a project. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!!!
I appreciate them, and check this thread every day!

I finally have some stuff to post.

The past 2 weeks I have been studying a lot but after school I work on it a little.

I have completed the vacuum braking system this week, I simply need to mount it in the car. Ill post more about this later this week!

I also installed an inertia switch into the Ebox.

The inertia is the black little box, its mounted onto a bolt that secures a latch to the box. It is wired in series with the key signal which leads to the 'hairball' interface unit.
If I were to crash this car (which I really hope I wont) , the switch will cut the circuit which informs the controller "hey the key isn't in the ignition anyone, you better shut off"
Can you guess what four colors of wire I ordered for the Ebox?

Below the hairball interface is my DC-DC converter which converts the traction pack's 350v to a manageable 13v. This 13v subsequently feeds the auxiliary battery.

I made a small piece of plexiglass into a mount which attaches to the DC-DC and makes the hairball seem as though it is floating.
It also frees up some space (the more important aspect).

This week I received a couple more things from china that I needed to complete some stuff around the car.
Terminal barriers, headers, more wire some lugs and such.

Most of my weekend time was consumed making copper bus bars for the battery modules.
I need 26 bars per module, and I have 8 modules so 208 bars total.
Approximately 5 minutes go into the fabrication of the bars, each.
So lots of time

First I cut the bars up with a little chop saw I purchased from Harbor Freight. I made a little jig that helps me cut the bars to the same size each time.
2" pieces from a 9 ft long bar.

Here are approximately 70 bars

Then, I print a cad sketch that I have and glue it to a bar. Using the sketch as a guide, I drill holes through this guide.

Then, place the guide on top of the bar which has yet to be drilled. Align the bars, and secure together using some vice grips.

And mark holes on the bottom copper bar through the guide using the drill press.

Nice!
All necessary from this step is to drill through the markings using an appropriately sized drill bit.

And here I present you the irony of the day.
While wearing safety gloves, I almost destroyed my thumb along with my dreams of becoming a professional thumb wrestler.

I have a pretty large drill press, so my glove got caught on the bit and started twisting my hand off and the electric motor refused to stall. It kept sucking me in until I pulled the switch.
After that my thumb was pretty sore and I quit for the night, picked up the next day and continued on until my drill bit snapped somehow...

Got an email from drive shaft shop, and my drive shaft should arrive by Friday... You know what that means, test drive this weekend!!!!

I will work my ass off to get the car set up before the weekend, for a short drive down the driveway... Wish me luck!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K
Originally Posted by thinmint' timestamp='1346619278' post='21983068
Dream team
Moar pics of the dream team

Originally Posted by Reckon
^^For real.

Wow, what a project. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Yes of course, Ill be sure to take some more photos of the dream team in action next time!!!

Quick Reply: Wait that isn't an F20c