Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Wait that isn't an F20c

Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive build props to you!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 PM

Hey mother frakkers im back

Wow I havent updated this in forever god
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 PM

I'll preface this by admitting that I pressed backspace and deleted my nearly completed post just now, so this post will be a bit more concise.

Anyway
I was presented with an awesome opportunity to study abroad in Mexico over the summer, which was downright awesome. Upon returning home, I practically had to unpack my bags and pack them back up to move away from home to college.
Unfortunately, I don't have the space or the tools up in my little college town apartment to store and work on the car. Its definitely a bummer, because I rarely see my car now, let alone chance to get significant work done.
However, thanks to winter break, I have gotten back to the grind and made some progress on the car.

Touching back on a post I made a really long time ago regarding my failed differential mounts - I mailed the mounts back to Innovative and received a new set of beefier mounts for the car. Hopefully these can hold up to the torque the DC motors are spitting out.

I also decided to replace the nasty stock steering wheel with a slender used sparco I got on Ebay.
After I started trying to remove the Honda wheel, I realized I had a problem. The thing would not come off. No amount of PB blaster or heat from the propane torch would make it budge. I tried to drill a tangental hole in the wheel to try and relieve pressure around the steering column but there was hardened steel hiding behind the soft aluminum face.
I used, and broke, a harmonic balancer in an attempt to remove the wheel and failed (you can see all the holes I drilled to mount it because bolts would pull right out of the aluminum)
Frustration culminated in me watching a season of eastbound and down and ripping the steering column out of the S2000 to sawzall the stupid wheel off. I managed to preserve the column in the process, which was an upside.
Behold the ugliest steering wheel you may ever see

New wheel!!

So fresh --- So cleaaan

I also installed a roll cage with the help of master welder Tom Suddard from Grassroots Motorsports.
The pictures will do the talking!!

The S2000 gods were looking after me when I was designing the roll bar, as I completely forgot to account for the hard top!!! All the NASA guidelines took my mind off the thing, but luckily the hardtop fits like a glove ~ 1" of clearance.

I also got an awesome toy to start building some more complex parts for the car

Since these photos, I have installed Harnesses and the tablet in the car, still need to snap photos of those.
I also have a gopro now, video time.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see your still at it
Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 AM

Way to go! Glad you got some work done on the break! Can't wait to see more progress.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM

hey dude, do you have a curb weight for this?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:07 AM

Incredible build! I had the fortune to come across this thread late so I got to binge on info. Any plans to work on it/finish it this summer?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Just read all of this and it's absolutely awesome... Keep up the good work and hook us up with an update
Old 03-08-2014, 03:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Very interesting ... Subscribed

Quick Reply: Wait that isn't an F20c