Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Wait that isn't an F20c

Old 09-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a couple more things I wanted to cover.

Here is my battery management system

Special shout out to Andrew Ewert, Orion BMS, and Ewert energy for sponsoring me recently!
The BMS's purpose is to ensure battery health and integrity, administrate balancing current during charging AND driving, and make sure I don't over charge / discharge my batteries. Its a pretty remarkable system that will guarantee I get 2,000+ cycles from these batteries.

Another little project I have been working on

Keyless entry / ignition using a Nike+ iPod dongle and arduino.
Approach the car from ~10ft, doors open and car can be started. Once the RFID tag is no longer detected, the doors will lock and ignition will be locked.
Pretty simple and cheap. Ill make a tutorial on how to do this once I complete it.

Now to address some of the questions.

How much does this car cost? Too much, but thats okay. As of right now, im looking at about $25k after sponsorships. When people ask me how much I have invested, I think back to the first cell phone Motorola introduced in 1984. It weighed as much as a scuba tank, only worked in core downtown cities (half of the time), and delivered a skimpy 30 minutes of talk time. Not to mention it retailed for $4000.

Basically only businessmen purchased the phone, justifying it by saying they could close important business deals on the way to the airport. Unfortunately, the phone never really had service, and it was large and clumsy to carry. In reality, the only reason you would buy one would be to feel ahead of your time / cutting edge / special / different. And this is the exact reason I am building the car.

New technologies are always expensive to jump into, but look at the cell phone and how that evolved. You have to step back for a minute and think about values and such. Some of you guys may think that I am ruining a perfectly good S2000, and I would be much better off investing into a turbo and intake. But truth be told, in 10 years I will remember the project that consumed almost two years of my high school weekends. Heck, Ill remember doing this until I pass away, and so will a majority of my friends. Its something I want to do, and be remembered for.

Range is kinda hard to calculate in real world situations. About 100 miles.
I am currently building a charger that can deliver 10kw to the batteries, so it should take about 2 hours to charge a 25 kwh battery pack.

How long will the vehicle last? Well, to put it in simple terms, these batteries should *theoretically* last 200,000 + miles before needing replacement. However, I don't think anyone has driven an electric car long enough on these batteries to actually prove their longevity. The motors will *theoretically* never die, they can last 1,000,000+ miles. I think the carbon brushed need to be replaced after 50k, but those are cheap.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very impressive, both the build and your ability.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by thinmint

Approach the car from ~10ft, doors open and car can be started. Once the RFID tag is no longer detected, the doors will lock and ignition will be locked.
Pretty simple and cheap. Ill make a tutorial on how to do this once I complete it.
very interested on that setup, i love keyless ignitions.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Nice! Subscribed.

Was thinking you can put the Nike thing in your shoe and use it like it was meant to be used but for opening the car. So you have your S2000 shoes on and walk up to the car and everything is open (and presumably because its an electric car - on) that would be mental!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 AM

soo..... where does the turbo bolt up ??? im confused

hahha jks... good luck looks like fun if your math is correct for torque and hp out put ... wow faaassst !!!

1500 # 0 rpm is craziness

-Lee
Old 09-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Sick build, man. Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Subscribed.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM

you sir, are going to go places
Old 09-06-2012, 12:14 PM

subbed
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM

This I have to see! If it works its gonna be awesome
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by thinmint

The idea of building an electric S2000 is awesome and totally nuts all at the same time and I love it!

Now about this Nike+ setup... I want this, when your done... if you don't plan on selling it can I have a copy of the specs? I'd love to put this in my cars.

Quick Reply: Wait that isn't an F20c