Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 Ninja 300

Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ninja 300 is great ideal street bike. Its comfortable, has great gas mileage and many people including myself on the road do not need a super-sport most of the time lol.

Then again on those other times it is nice feel you have "unlimited" power on a liter bike. Its up to preference and who you ride with can influence what's necessary or not. I can enjoy riding a 250 vespa with my girlfriend as much as I do on my 10R with a co-worker.

Overall the Ninja 300 is capable of doing the same amount of canyon carving, most turns just as fast. (some may argue...)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If youre considering something a little bigger, the new 2013 Honda CBR500R would be a great starter bike from what it looks like. 500cc, 47 HP, and sporty. It'll be released in april from what I'm tracking.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZilla
If youre considering something a little bigger, the new 2013 Honda CBR500R would be a great starter bike from what it looks like.
The CB500R is a "great starter bike" only in the same sense that the S2000 or Miata are "great starter cars".

It's going to be a great bike, period, and a much better real-world mount than any of the hypersport 600s.

The idea that anyone wanting a sporting bike has to "graduate" to uber-expensive 600 and 1000cc sportbikes with awful real-world ergos is, to me, absurd. I don't know why this idea is so prevalant.

Here's to more bikes like the Ninja 300, Honda CBR500R, and its semi-naked twin, the CB500F:
Old 12-14-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
The idea that anyone wanting a sporting bike has to "graduate" to uber-expensive 600 and 1000cc sportbikes with awful real-world ergos is, to me, absurd. I don't know why this idea is so prevalant.

Because not all think like you.

Everyone has their preferences.

I, myself love all bike types. I ride Harley 883 every day for work and longer road traveling. I do like the fact that all bikers wave to each other no matter what bikes you ride on the road.

I also dont think most 600/1000cc superbikes are "uber-expensive." This is another difference of opinion.

Ducati Panigale Tri-Colore, 28k plus Tax...YES, I consider that "uber-expensive.."!!!! (although that is bigger than 1000).
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Young_R
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1355489927' post='22209986
Because not all think like you.
No kidding. The statement was rhetorical, I know full well why this idea is so prevalant: because 85% of the people who buy those bikes do so primarily for pose value, and wouldn't be caught dead on a more real-world riding oriented 250/300 (or 500/650), even if its capabilities are far greater than their own.

Everyone has their preferences.
Yes, but when someone new to motorcycling expresses HIS preference/desire for a great real-world sport(y) bike, it's fricking annoying to see all the "just get a 600" responses, when those bikes are just not conducive to riding enjoyment in the real world, *particularly* for a beginning rider, but also for many/most experienced riders.

I, myself love all bike types. I ride Harley 883 every day for work and longer road traveling.
More ergos from hell, from the other direction! No way to redistribute weight between ass/hands/feet on cruisers. Another symptom of the fact that most American motorcyclists choose bikes more as a fashion statement than a machine to actually enjoy riding.

There's a place for serious hardcore sportbikes in the market, and there's a place for feet-forward/ass-low/hands-high cruisers, but IMO these are fringe bikes. If more motorcyclists were into it purely for practical reasonas and real-world fun/enjoyment of riding, there'd be a LOT more bikes like the Ninja 300, SV650, CBR500R, CB500F, etc. than these extreme "lifestyle accessory" bikes.

I do like the fact that all bikers wave to each other no matter what bikes you ride on the road.
I haven't found this to be the case. Personally, sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't. For sure there are *plenty* of Harleys and sportbike riders who wouldn't stoop to waving to me on my SV650.

I also dont think most 600/1000cc superbikes are "uber-expensive." This is another difference of opinion.
This is not a difference of opinion.
FACTS:
Ninja 250R = $4449
Ninja 300R = $4799
Ninja ZX6R = $11,699, two and a half times more expensive
Ninja ZX10R = $14,299 three times more expensive

For *most* people, that is a HUGE difference in price! Particularly for bikes that are (again, for most people) going to be LESS enjoyable to ride 99% of the time!

Ducati Panigale Tri-Colore, 28k plus Tax...YES, I consider that "uber-expensive.."!!!!
Most people consider over $10k for a bike "uber-expensive", i.e., outside the realm of consideration. It is unfortunate that a large part of the motorcycling community insists to newbs that they should "just get a 600" when there are other much cheaper bikes that they will actually get a TON more enjoyment out of.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM
TWF

250/300 is good beginner bike with only one problem, you outgrow it fast if you interested in any speed or acceleration. They are slow and good for commuters, to drive in city to and from work.
If you want little more power to actually pass cars easy but you still beginner bikes like ninja 650 and sv650 are great. Not big enough to get you in trouble but big enough to feel and move like bigger bikes.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by TWF
250/300 is good beginner bike with only one problem, you outgrow it fast if you interested in any speed or acceleration. They are slow and good for commuters, to drive in city to and from work.
Christ almighty, it never ends. Why these speed merchants are even on an S2000 site is beyond me, the statement above is equivalent to: "S2000 is good beginner car with only one problem, you outgrow it fast if you interested in any speed or acceleration."

The Ninja 300 is a low 14-second bike. The S2000 is a low 14-second car. Both are *plenty* fast, and *plenty* fun.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:44 AM
TWF

I bought S2000 to be my beginner car. It is slow but not miata slow (even though miata rails in corners) which would be painful
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM

I'm considering a ZX6R for my first bike. I'll test a 300 before I decide but I doubt it...in the real world there are different road conditions where I would want better than 14 second acceleration. I'm not fast and furious, I'm pretty tame but 14 seconds is dismal from a bike.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Not Sure
I'm considering a ZX6R for my first bike. I'll test a 300 before I decide but I doubt it...in the real world there are different road conditions where I would want better than 14 second acceleration. I'm not fast and furious, I'm pretty tame but 14 seconds is dismal from a bike.
What do you mean by 14 seconds? 0-60? There is no way... I've been riding an 08 ninja 250 for almost 3 years and it is slower than other bikes but I'd estimate under 6 seconds 0-60...I still beat most cars off the line. The ninja 300 looks awesome. My 250 gets about 70 mpg, I fill it up like every 2 weeks and still it only costs $10, its amazing. Another thing you will really appreciate is the comfort vs the zx6r. If you want a true sport bike get the z but honestly getting the 250 and riding my friends' bikes has taught me I don't really want a true sport bike, they are just so uncomfortable, all your weight on your wrists the whole time. The handling is also the best on the 250 or 300 they are so light. Good luck on the search, post some pics when you get one.

Quick Reply: 2013 Ninja 300