Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Yamaha R3

Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Yamaha R3

I am all about starter bikes because I am pretty much a novice rider, am hobbit sized, and going hugely fast is not my thing. I just like to ride mellow and enjoy the scenery and turns.

Anywho this thing is announced, it has a few more ponies than the Ninja 300, is is actually a 321cc, and although it has less torque, falls nicely below the CBR500r but above the Ninja.

It also has real tires instead of the crap that comes with most starters, and a gear indicator on the dash which are kind of nice to have and not common on the cheapies. It also sells for just $5k.

I really would love to pull the tirgger on one of these but have one huge dealbreaker: no ABS. While it comes standard with it in Europe, you can't even buy it as an add on at any cost. I really want to have ABS on whatever I buy, and the CBR300 and 500 both offer it, as well as the Ninja. ABS costs extra on those but, well, big deal.

Really like the whole package, but why they don't even allow it on the model in the US or Canada is a total head scratcher. Supposed to be in showrooms any day now.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchase a lightly used Ninja 300 with zero road rash that has ABS. Being a novice you have a high chance of going down in some form whether its a tip over or other. I would invest lightly and get your skills and experience then you can really understand what you want. I raced the ninja 300 in 2013 when it came out and it should be an excellent performer for your needs. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM

It is on the list. I do have about 4,000 mile of riding so not totally new to it. A couple 300's for sale locally with ABS but keep reading people complain about build quality issues with the Ninja. Top of the list is the CBR500r ABS or 500F ABS. I really like the looks of this R3 though, but would buy a 300 Ninja at a good price too.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely a sharp looking bike, and very odd of Yamaha not to offer ABS here. Wonder if they ran into regulatory/legal issues for North America? Sounds like you have a pretty good idea what you want...go ride em and see what's what! I might suggest adding the KTM RC390 to the list when they hit dealers late March/early April.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bahula03
I might suggest adding the KTM RC390 to the list when they hit dealers late March/early April.

That one is too ugly for me, and even though I prefer a full fairing bike, I will look at the Duke 390. Neat bike. Small fuel tanks though.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Having owned a Duc 749, now an S1000RR, and knowing that the new R1 is growing on me...I may not have a conventional opinion of what a good looking bike is I saw both of the 390s at the motorcycle show, and they both look and felt like terrific bikes. The had an RC390 cup bike as well I'm just happy that manufacturers are bringing out good small displacement bikes, and that we're getting them in the states.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by bahula03' timestamp='1424846210' post='23518208
I might suggest adding the KTM RC390 to the list when they hit dealers late March/early April.

That one is too ugly for me, and even though I prefer a full fairing bike, I will look at the Duke 390. Neat bike. Small fuel tanks though.
Both of these bikes are no corner cutting light weight sport bikes as any KTM generally is, and the RC is more a pure race bike which I think is cool as shit and looks good! Either will leave the Yami in the dust off the showroom, but high performance doesn’t seem to be as important to you. The Duke might be more your style between the two KTMs since its a little more relaxed seating which I like personally. I ride a KTM, but its a custom supermotard 250 2 stroke. Power to weight is exceptional so it allows me to enjoy teasing and playing with the big liter sport bikes on rides under 120mph, which are all of them unless you’re a nut job like the poster above^^^ . I also like the dirt bike seating for cruising around on more relaxed rides.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1425394768' post='23525668
[quote name='bahula03' timestamp='1424846210' post='23518208']

Both of these bikes are no corner cutting light weight sport bikes as any KTM generally is, and the RC is more a pure race bike which I think is cool as shit and looks good! Either will leave the Yami in the dust off the showroom, but high performance doesn’t seem to be as important to you. The Duke might be more your style between the two KTMs since its a little more relaxed seating which I like personally. I ride a KTM, but its a custom supermotard 250 2 stroke. Power to weight is exceptional so it allows me to enjoy teasing and playing with the big liter sport bikes on rides under 120mph, which are all of them unless you’re a nut job like the poster above^^^ . I also like the dirt bike seating for cruising around on more relaxed rides.
[/quote]

I basically have it narrowed to three bikes for my watch list right now.......

Number one is a used 2013 CBR 500r with ABS. Most relaxed riding position, top notch quality, more room to grow. Don't ride enought to spend on new.

My other choice is pretty much a tie with a Ninja 300 ABS and the Duke. The RC looks are growing on me, but I think the riding position is leans to far forward for a 45 year old guy who might take it on on overnight trip or two of about 400-600 miles. I also don't like the small headlights. I want to be visible.

I'd still look like the oldest dude on a Ninja 300 but I don't care that much how I look on it, they are plentiful and I can probably find a good one new or used at a decent price. The 2015s added decent tires from the factory, and the 2014s leftovers have a $500 incentive right now.

The Duke is really tempting me right now. Only $5k, ABS, good tires, and every review I read RAVES about it. From what I gather, the complaints about build qulaity were all on early bikes back in 2013 and they seem to be pretty solid now. The small fuel tank is a drag but not a deal killer. Local dealers told me they were getting them in in about three weeks. I'd rather have wind protection than a naked, but it seems really intriguing. If I don't find a killer deal on the other two in the mean time this one may be the one.

The R3 would be right after the the Honda on my list if it had ABS. I would love it, but as a safety obessesed novice rider old dude, ABS is a must have. And I don't know if Yamaha will ever offer it on that bike because it seems they put ABS on everything they send to Europe, but have few ABS offerings here.

The cool thing about liking starter bikes, is I can buy one now, and in a few years, add another one of my choices to the stable cheap.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 600 is a fine starter bike. your gonna grow out of the 250 or whatever super quick. just know your limits and ride safe
Old 03-14-2015, 09:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtouge_max
a 600 is a fine starter bike. your gonna grow out of the 250 or whatever super quick. just know your limits and ride safe
The OP made it pretty clear he isn't a new rider, just likes what "starter bikes" have to offer.

But i think most experienced riders would feel that a inline 4 600cc sport bike isn't a starter bike at all. I personally would qualify it as a experienced riders bike, just a prefered weapon over a liter bike. They are inherently the same thing, just one a little heavier with more power. It takes the same amount of skill/balls, which is learn to get comfortable straddling a missile quickly... or kill yourself trying.

Quick Reply: Yamaha R3