California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

3 laps of Thunderhill

Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 laps of Thunderhill

I did a Thunderhill Hooked On Driving track day (in Willows, CA) a couple weeks ago in my stock '05 with CR sway bars and new R888s. It was hot as hell, sapping everyone's power significantly. I was hoping to improve on the 2:17s I was turning in April, but added 5 seconds due (I think) to the reduced power. Despite the slower times, I think my driving is improving, so I'm posting this clip to solicit any comments and advice. Let me know what I'm doing right and what I can fix next time I'm on the track.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwfuojnCAJ8 [/media]

Thanks...
Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any input, but is that a modifry shift buzzer?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 AM

2:17 is a pretty good time. Was this on your r888s?
I have a 02 ap 1 bone stock with nt01s. The first time i went out to t hill i ran without the cyclone. i was running 2:15s. I was running on .8 degrees of camber al around. I found that setting my camber was the single best mod for the s2. I set camber to 2.0 in the front and 2.3 in the rear. The next ncrc day out i ran a 2:10 (no cyclone) with the same setup.

From watching your video i think you can get on throttle a bit earlier on most of the turns. This could be a result of your camber settings. my ap1 was VERY squirley on almost every turn before I set my camber. If you carry more speed through turn 3 you will have to track out on 4.

On turn 8, you are too far towards the middle of the track. You can enter the turn quite a bit faster and this will carry you towards the track out point. This is a bit unnerving at first, as you have to have faith that you wont run out of track.

Other than that everything looks fine. Btw what speed are you entering turn 1 at?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 AM

[QUOTE=Rs_evo8,Aug 10 2009, 12:57 AM] 2:17 is a pretty good time.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

danvuquoc, I use Modifry's shift beeper set at 200rpm increments, with fuel cutoff at 8200rpm.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Rs_evo8, I was running the OEM-spec camber on my old Michelin PSCs when I did the 2:17s back in April. For the track day a couple weeks ago, I went to -1.5/-2.4 F/R camber and brand new R888s. Into T1 braking zone, I was only about 110mph, whereas in April I'd been closer to 120mph. I think this was primarily due to lost power from the hot day, as all my straightaway speeds were down. I came out of the T1 apex around 84mph.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:33 PM

A hot day will definitely slow the car down, not just strait line speeds but it will play havac with tires too..

What were your hot tire pressures? What track config did they run?

(i'll have to watch video later as I cannot stream anything at work)
Old 08-10-2009, 06:31 PM

Here is my opinion the turns you should work on are T8, T9, and T11

You slow too much for T8, I think you can carry a lot more speed

T9 you go straight over the hill, and this is classic school line and makes T9 SLOW! There is a burm at the top of the hill, you should use it. This will make you have to turn back right just over the hill.

T11 usually I have to tell people to slow down for the turn, but in the video it looks like you take it a little too slow.

In general it sounds like you coast (not slowing down but not accelerating) from turn in to apex and then from apex out you accelerate. Try to accelerate through the whole turn

Note - never heard any tire noise

How much track time do you have? I can give you a turn by turn play if you like
Old 08-11-2009, 11:05 AM

BrianZ, thanks for your comments. I've run about a dozen track days at THill (5 days), Laguna (3), Infineon (3), and Reno-Fernley (2) with NASA, Trackmasters, and Hooked On Driving.

I ran the R888s with 35/32 F/R starting temps, they gained about 2-3 lbs during the session (Big O was there at the track day doing free nitrogen purges, hence the very low pressure gains for such a hot day). 5 minutes after my cool-down lap, the tread temps were about 165-ish (and within 5 degrees across the tread width), which I understand is a bit cooler then they would be if I was driving harder.

On T8, my fastest speed of the day leaving the apex was 90mph, but it was from a later sessions then what I posted. I suspect just a slight lift and maybe touching the brakes with left foot will be the best approach once I get my skills and confidence up.

T9 I suck at, the blind hill really inimidates me. That's a fast section of track that I need to work on. You see me late in the clip pounding my steering wheel, a reaction to another pooched line through T9.

T11 I take in 3rd and floorboard it just past the apex. However, revs are only around 5k, so not a lot of grunt. If I downshift to 2nd, I get a better launch but have an awkward 2-3 upshift in the middle of the T12-13 transition. I'll look at others' clips before I run there again to see how others with OEM gearing approach the turn.

I really want to get to a track day with the good S2k drivers, but have a real constrained schedule (given work travel and my kids' sports activities). One of these days...
Old 08-11-2009, 11:08 AM

Track config was ccl over the Cyclone...

Quick Reply: 3 laps of Thunderhill