California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

AAA wont tow lowered cars

Old 04-26-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAA wont tow lowered cars

man this sucks, i just called AAA to tow my car and the guy that came out said he couldnt do it because it's too low

now i gota call somebody else that will tow my car. called them and complained, even spoke to a supervisor and they still wont tow it. all they said is i can get it towed by some other company and submit a reimbursement claim.

my car is not even that low at all (1~2 finger gap all around), what are people's experience?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

when my Ferrari was out of commission and had to be towed to the shop. they suggested Action Towing.
the stock height for the challenge stradale is pretty low. not sure if it's lower than your car.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 AM

That's crazy...............my local AAA here in Davis are ''hella'' cool. They towed all my lowered cars. It's how approachable you are with them and rapport building. The driver usually have wood blocks to accommodate lowered cars, but it's at their discretion. IDK. Maybe they have changed the policy with lowered cars. Here's how low my VW Corrado was back in the day...............they still towed it!!!!!
Name:  KidsNCorradobikerack064.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  MadilynnCorrado033.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  146.1 KB

Last edited by Bay_S2K_Area; 04-26-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:01 AM

yea haha i think it depends on the driver. i had my other lowered car towed before with the same exact company , it was a younger guy so he understood. this time the guy that came out was much older, i think he just doesnt want to deal with the risk and hassle of being careful while loading the car up.

mine is definitely no where near as low as what both of you mentioned so i basically got screwed over and wasted a lot of time, oh well
Old 04-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like the guy just didn't want to tow it. They towed me the other day and my car is about s finger gap or so maybe a little higher. Guy was supper friendly. What he was telling me is a lot of new guys don't want to or have the patience. Also the newer trucks have a split tow bed, so the very end can drop down extra low for cars such as ares. Was it an older tow truck?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 623baller
yea haha i think it depends on the driver. i had my other lowered car towed before with the same exact company , it was a younger guy so he understood. this time the guy that came out was much older, i think he just doesnt want to deal with the risk and hassle of being careful while loading the car up.

mine is definitely no where near as low as what both of you mentioned so i basically got screwed over and wasted a lot of time, oh well
^^^^^^THIS.

But I also request a flat bed every time I call AAA.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 AM

lol yea i always request flat bed from AAA as well

the truck didnt look old, wasnt sure if its the newer model or not
Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had my S2000 towed by AAA a few times when lowered, including with a rear diffuser, but the guy has to be willing to use his 2x8s and I think it helps when I assure them I'll drive the car on/off the wood and take responsibility for any scraping that happens. Unfortunately, they do have it in their policies that they don't tow low cars, so drivers do have the ability to refuse you if you get a lazy one.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

AAA doesn't tow cars, they call tow services for you to tow your car.

I have had my car towed via AAA from the middle of nowhere mountains due to a puncture with no issues with them finding tow services with flatbeds. It is all up to which tow company they contact.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:18 PM

true, unfortunately i got a lazy one, but i dont blame him because any damage is likely out of his own pocket to fix

i think it's more driver depended because my last tow (not a s2000) was maybe even lower, they sent the exact same company out but that driver was friendly to work with and they towed it no problem. i think i just got unlucky this time.

i ended up using Unique Towing who serves Santa Clara/San Jose (found from yelp). Nothing but positive experience from the person that took my call to the person that came out to tow the car. They are very friendly to work with and they were able to get my car up on the flat bed very quickly too without even using wood blocks. he did adjust his ramp several times up and down when loading the car up on the flat bed.

my advice, if you went through AAA and which ever company they found and were able to tow your car, get the card of the person that towed it for you, ask for that same guy next time you need a tow so you don't waste time like i did. or if you remove you front bumper, you may be able to convince the guy to tow it if they refuse it on the spot.

Quick Reply: AAA wont tow lowered cars