California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone Have Experience with this Wheel/Tire Combo ?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Have Experience with this Wheel/Tire Combo ?

Hi Folks, considering this setup using O.Z. Alleggerita HLT rims with Michelin PS4S tires... anyone have experience with this combo and wheel dimensions / offsets?

I like the look and lightweight aspect of the O.Z. rims however I see many people running wider and not always staggered tires on their ap2. From what I've read and understand from forums etc , AP2's for street use do best with a staggered OEM setup.

These O.Z. wheels dont quite match the OEM offsets but are pretty damn close and importantly lightweight... I've read the wheel / offset / tire sticky here on the forum and Tire Rack guarantees fitment however I'm also curious how they might appear within the fenders?

Appreciate any thoughts

Thanks

Patrick

Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran pf01's in the same sizes and they were pretty decent. no issues with a 1" drop and they sat decently flush
The following users liked this post:
ophthodawg (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The OZ setup is perfectly fine for a street car where you aren't chasing maximum grip, so you don't need 9"+ non-staggered wheels. Good looking and light wheels.
The following users liked this post:
ophthodawg (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Those wheels are actually one of my choices. Big fan of the Alleggerita, especially in the Anthracite or Silver.

I'm not a fan of black or dark colored wheels. Because when they aren't shiny (which will be 90% of the time), they make the entire car look filthy.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I cant comment on the wheel as i'm still wrapping my head around the whole offset thing. But those tires are awesome. Really comfy, not super noisy, fantastic daily performance tire that could last around 50k miles give or take depending on drive style.

I'm going to comment on the tire and wheel setup i will be running and maybe the info will help.

I'll be running Volk TE37 wheels in 17x9.5 +58 all around. These will be wrapped in Hankook RS4 tires in 255/40/17.

In order to get this setup i'm getting my fenders rolled and the tabs tucked and relocated. From what i've been told i can technically run that offset with minimal fender modification, however i'm getting the whole shebang done which should allow me to run as low as a +45 without rubbing.in case i change my mind when i order my wheels. Not sure if any of that helps.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Is "Pilot Sport" the same as the famous "Pilot Super Sport"?

Reason why I ask is because Pilot Super Sport would be a waste if you're dailying it. You won't approach its performance ceiling, and being a super sticky tire, you'll just end up kicking all kind of debris up against the sides of your car.

OEM loves shipping cars with super sticky tires as a selling point, but they're kind of useless on actual roads.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Is "Pilot Sport" the same as the famous "Pilot Super Sport"?

Reason why I ask is because Pilot Super Sport would be a waste if you're dailying it. You won't approach its performance ceiling, and being a super sticky tire, you'll just end up kicking all kind of debris up against the sides of your car.

OEM loves shipping cars with super sticky tires as a selling point, but they're kind of useless on actual roads.
Its the predecessor. And honestly i kinda disagree with you. I think these are a fantastic DD tire. I had the Super Sports on my BRZ and the tire made such a huge difference that my girlfriend at the time kept begging me to go back to those tires after i changed wheels. We werent even doing anything crzy, this was just back and forth on the freeway. And honestly i think these are some of the best DD performance tire out there. Generally people who go out and track are going to get a more track oriented tire like the RS4, Direzza Starspecs, to name a couple. I mean hell i'm going to be running RS4s on my S2k and this is my Daily. I think the tires are a solid choice and i wouldnt worry about the "performance ceiling". Plus if he decides to hit some backroads like Mines road or go up to the observatory he knows he has a solid set of tires built for that exact thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by xxyion
Its the predecessor. And honestly i kinda disagree with you. I think these are a fantastic DD tire. I had the Super Sports on my BRZ and the tire made such a huge difference that my girlfriend at the time kept begging me to go back to those tires after i changed wheels. We werent even doing anything crzy, this was just back and forth on the freeway. And honestly i think these are some of the best DD performance tire out there. Generally people who go out and track are going to get a more track oriented tire like the RS4, Direzza Starspecs, to name a couple. I mean hell i'm going to be running RS4s on my S2k and this is my Daily. I think the tires are a solid choice and i wouldnt worry about the "performance ceiling". Plus if he decides to hit some backroads like Mines road or go up to the observatory he knows he has a solid set of tires built for that exact thing.
I live in San Francisco, with all the construction in the city, these tires will just shred my side panels and sideskirts.

I've ran Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position, and those were FANTASTIC tires. But those are about as grippy as I'm willing to run.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I live in San Francisco, with all the construction in the city, these tires will just shred my side panels and sideskirts.

I've ran Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position, and those were FANTASTIC tires. But those are about as grippy as I'm willing to run.

Thats true, I wouldn't run PS4s in the city either. I guess it depends where the OP lives, but If he is in the East Bay the PS4s are a great daily tire. If he wants cheaper I would also recommend the Hankook EVO 12, I think is what they are Called
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice to know, thanks Peter !

Quick Reply: Anyone Have Experience with this Wheel/Tire Combo ?