California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone Have Experience with this Wheel/Tire Combo ?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, great points !

i'm gonna try the black rims ... its a weekend driver so I can spend one day driving and the next day cleaning :-)

cheers
Old 02-08-2019, 02:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ophthodawg
yes, great points !

i'm gonna try the black rims ... its a weekend driver so I can spend one day driving and the next day cleaning :-)

cheers
It's going to look awesome with the NFR. Its one of my favorite colors and was the color of my first S2k.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're still shopping tires, I'd recommend taking a look at the Bridgestone RE-71R's. I'm running these in 255 width in the rear and the grip is staggering. The RE71R's completely change the personality of the car. Honestly it's tough to kick the back out even in the wet (casual driving), which was not reality with other tires where even a little too much gas on a wet city turn would have the back sliding out. Since this is your weekend car, the wear-rate should be manageable.

Can't say much on the wheels other than they look super light and black on red will look goood (though bronze/gold wheels would look good too if that's an option).
Per these weights, looks like your saving 15 lb of unsprung weight from stock! Enjoy
Old 02-08-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by xxyion
It's going to look awesome with the NFR. Its one of my favorite colors and was the color of my first S2k.
thanks ! I’ll post pics once my new babe gets new shoes

P
Old 02-08-2019, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Is "Pilot Sport" the same as the famous "Pilot Super Sport"?

Reason why I ask is because Pilot Super Sport would be a waste if you're dailying it. You won't approach its performance ceiling, and being a super sticky tire, you'll just end up kicking all kind of debris up against the sides of your car.

OEM loves shipping cars with super sticky tires as a selling point, but they're kind of useless on actual roads.
ive read and experienced fist hand having super stickey tires picking up debris and rock blasting the paint ... not good

i can consider less sticky compound if the consensus is the Michelins are too stickey and lead to rock blasting my paint for my weekend warrior use case ... im taking backroads at 8/10 , i dont have a death wish ...

P

Old 02-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by nismoskys
If you're still shopping tires, I'd recommend taking a look at the Bridgestone RE-71R's. I'm running these in 255 width in the rear and the grip is staggering. The RE71R's completely change the personality of the car. Honestly it's tough to kick the back out even in the wet (casual driving), which was not reality with other tires where even a little too much gas on a wet city turn would have the back sliding out. Since this is your weekend car, the wear-rate should be manageable.

Can't say much on the wheels other than they look super light and black on red will look goood (though bronze/gold wheels would look good too if that's an option).
Per these weights, looks like your saving 15 lb of unsprung weight from stock! Enjoy
thanks Nismoskys ,

ill look into the RE 71 R’s ...

yup, love the lightweight aspect of the Alleggerita HLT’s

im getting a gold set for my brg miata se when those are back next month because they are super light, one of the lightest rims i have found

id go for Enkei but they dont offer the gold

i think thengold will look super sharp retro on the BRG ...

im keeping both sets of stock wheels and tires pristine for the museum ;-)

P

Old 02-08-2019, 07:51 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ophthodawg

ive read and experienced fist hand having super stickey tires picking up debris and rock blasting the paint ... not good

i can consider less sticky compound if the consensus is the Michelins are too stickey and lead to rock blasting my paint for my weekend warrior use case ... im taking backroads at 8/10 , i dont have a death wish ...

P

HIGHLY recommend Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2. They're so underrated, they perform well above their asking price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...entus+V12+evo2
Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
HIGHLY recommend Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2. They're so underrated, they perform well above their asking price.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...entus+V12+evo2

yes , read very strong reviews of the Hankook's ... what we need is a sponsored autocross or track day with all the usual suspects ! how cool would that be ?

Tire Rack are you listening ??

Have the sponsors on S2KI done something that like before? if not why not ??

As a weekend driver I will probably never need a tread warranty ... im looking for a nice balance of cost, not too noisy, grip without thrashing my paint ...

gonna try Firestone Indy 500's on miata but wanted to try something different on the s2k
Old 02-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Ok, pulled the trigger on the O.Z. Rims and Michelin PS4S

you only live once ...

ill post pics and review once i get them fitted and try them out

thanks for everyones input ! Very much appreciated

FWIW ill also give a review of the Firestone 500’s im putting on the miata ...
Old 02-23-2019, 07:11 PM

Default Baby got new shoes ...

Installed the O.Z. rims with Michelin PS4 today

background , ive only driven my S2k 20 miles or so total on its original 14 yr old original rubber before this change , and I’m an S2k newbie so ... im definitely not an authority

initial driving impressions (top down) : no appreciable tire road noise to me ... i was too busy admiring VTEC though , driving a mix of backroad twisties and hwy ... havent discovered the limits yet however the drive felt secure while also handling road imperfections well.

my S2k is stock ... the Michelin’s feel like they might exceed the limits of the stock suspension , feeling a bit of body roll in the twisties , looking forward to a track day or autocross and longer backroads drive to enjoy the Honda ...

Quick Reply: Anyone Have Experience with this Wheel/Tire Combo ?