California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Car Wouldn't Start

Old 07-12-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wouldn't Start

Hello S2ki community,

I had a problem today with starting my car. It all happened after I drove my car for about 30 minutes to go grab lunch. After I ate and tried to start my car about 40 minutes later, car wouldn't start. It only made clicking noises. My dash never flickers like some people mentioned before their alternator started to go bad, and my battery is about 9months old. When I called AAA and they asked me to start the car, same issue just clicking noises. Once they attached the battery pack that gives the battery juice (essentially a jump start) my car came to life. Would you guys think its just a bad battery still, even though its only 9 months old or would you suspect the alternator going bad? Should I just replace the rectifier or the whole assembly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also if you were a yellow s2k following me on the 101N towards Redwood City, I was kind of driving fast because I was already late to work T_T due to car problems.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does your cruise control light turn on when you press the button? im talking about the green LED inside the button itself.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
does your cruise control light turn on when you press the button? im talking about the green LED inside the button itself.
yes, it turns on. What exactly would that light not turning on indicate?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handsumkrn
Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1468378145' post='24015225
the alternator and the cruise control button switch uses the same fuse. mine blew awhile back and that's how i found out they were corresponding to eachother so i got lucky and just swapped the fuse and it was fine after that.

did AAA run a diagnostic to see if it was the alternator or the battery? when AAA ran a diag, they were "100% sure" that it was my alternator but it wasn't lol.

i'd try replacing the battery first since it's just a simple swap and go from there.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by handsumkrn' timestamp='1468379110' post='24015238
[quote name='tkeyyy' timestamp='1468378145' post='24015225']
the alternator and the cruise control button switch uses the same fuse. mine blew awhile back and that's how i found out they were corresponding to eachother so i got lucky and just swapped the fuse and it was fine after that.

did AAA run a diagnostic to see if it was the alternator or the battery? when AAA ran a diag, they were "100% sure" that it was my alternator but it wasn't lol.

i'd try replacing the battery first since it's just a simple swap and go from there.
[/quote]

Ahh icic,

So far my car seems to start back up fine, I tried after 5 hours. Im hoping its just a bad battery that they had given me 9 months back so itll just be a simple swap.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by handsumkrn
Hello S2ki community,

I had a problem today with starting my car. It all happened after I drove my car for about 30 minutes to go grab lunch. After I ate and tried to start my car about 40 minutes later, car wouldn't start. It only made clicking noises. My dash never flickers like some people mentioned before their alternator started to go bad, and my battery is about 9months old. When I called AAA and they asked me to start the car, same issue just clicking noises. Once they attached the battery pack that gives the battery juice (essentially a jump start) my car came to life. Would you guys think its just a bad battery still, even though its only 9 months old or would you suspect the alternator going bad? Should I just replace the rectifier or the whole assembly? Any advice would be appreciated.

Also if you were a yellow s2k following me on the 101N towards Redwood City, I was kind of driving fast because I was already late to work T_T due to car problems.
Well there are some cheap batteries out there that would only last a year or less. You can actually go to an O Reilly or autozone and ask them to do do a battery test on your car and if it's good then I would suspect the connections between you battery and the starter
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM

Maybe a light was left on that drained the battery. If it happened again, you might just have a battery issue. If you claim warranty on your battery, some places would test the battery to see if it is indeed bad. That's when they'd replace it. If not, you'll be stuck with that battery until you can prove that it is bad.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:19 PM

What brand battery do you have? I see lots of cars with bad batteries that are fairly newer. Definitely check your charging system and your battery should have a warranty if it's only 9 months old.