California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Depressing number of sightings this weekend

Old 03-19-2001, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the weather in the Bay Area has warmed up enough that EVERY SINGLE open top car was on the road this weekend. I saw the full complement of drop-top cars along the way from SF down to San Jose. In rough order of the number of sightings (only the "interesting" cars): Miata, Z3/M-Roadster, Boxster/Carrera/911, Corvette, SLK/SL, Ferrari (various), TT-Roadster, MGB, Viper, MR2-Spyder, and the new SC-430.

But the most depressing was the number of S2000 sightings in ONE DAY (Saturday). There was a silver and a red in SF in the morning, the two silver and a black in Los Altos/Mountainview in the afternoon, and another silver in San Jose in the late afternoon. All the tops were down :-). But I only managed to greet the driver of the silver one in Los Altos. A total of 6 sightings in one day!!! That's not counting my own white. In terms of the number of sightings, it'd put the S2000 between the SLK and the Ferrari. Vipers and MR2s are more exclusive than our car, how depressing.

[Edited by WhiteS2k on 03-19-2001 at 09:34 AM]
Old 03-19-2001, 09:08 AM

sorry to disappoint you, but i was yet another s2000 on the road this past weekend, but i probably wasn't the black you mentioned. for both days, i think i've logged in ~350mi....
that's what the beautiful weather was meant for: top down tanning!

oh, by the way, i'll be on the road again in about 1/2 hour, sunning all the way down the coast with the wife and dog. gonna have a picnic somewhere yet to be determined....

get out there and drive!
Old 03-19-2001, 09:14 AM

Having driven the full length of Skyline blvd with stops in Los Gatos, Saratoga, Woodside and San Francisco this week, I do concurr that there were drop tops coming out of the wood work this weekend. I even saw several S2000's including two Silver's and one Yellow. I must respectfully disagree that this was depressing as I was very happy to see so many luckiy people as ourselves enjoying the car and enjoying the weather. We do have a rare car despite the sightings. We just happen to live in a materialistic and wealthy area where so many people can afford such luxuries. Personally, I still see more NSX's on the road, but I suppose one can argue that there are actually more of them after a 10 year run.
Anyways, I am happy for all those who were out in their Stooks and were fortunate enough to own one. Happy motoring!

PS- I think we saw less MR SPyders and Vipers b/c they just are not as good as our Stooks =) Its not a matter of exclusivity. Heck, I did not see one Yugo or Pontiac Aztec either this weekend! =)

PPS- not to depress you more, but you really got to come out and meet the other S2k' drivers at one of the meets and drives. We really need a white presence anyways, we have yet to se the rare and elusive White S2000 at any of our Bay Area meets hint hint
Old 03-19-2001, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by WhiteS2k
But the most depressing was the number of S2000 sightings in ONE DAY (Saturday).
You think that is bad, yesterday I ran to my buddys to pick up an extension ladder. He only lives two miles away and is in the same town. On the way back alone (only 2 miles) I saw 9 Boxsters!! Talk about a glut!! I still think our car is VERY rare compared to most roadsters out there!
Old 03-19-2001, 10:43 AM

White s2k, was the car in the parking lot off Los Gatos Creek on Campisi Way on Saturday yours? Went biking with the wife and parked there.
JhonA
Old 03-19-2001, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by JohnA
White s2k, was the car in the parking lot off Los Gatos Creek on Campisi Way on Saturday yours? Went biking with the wife and parked there.
JhonA
Nope, didn't go down as far as Los Gatos.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yu888
[B]We just happen to live in a materialistic and wealthy area where so many people can afford such luxuries. Personally, I still see more NSX's on the road, but I suppose one can argue that there are actually more of them after a 10 year run.
Old 03-19-2001, 04:55 PM

Hey Ed,

If the yellow you saw was over on the north end of skyline or on 1 up near pacifica it was probably me.

-c
Old 03-19-2001, 06:38 PM

I saw my first White/Red on 101 Southbound. It was just North of Candlestick Park, top down, going fast at about 10:30 AM. I was northbound on my way to visit our friends at Accenture on Embarcadero. It made me jealous since I was in the Ford Explorer today. What a perfect day to be tooling around SF in a drop top. I took the S2K to Santa Cruz twice this past weekend and wanted to give her a rest...

Anyways, the elusive white has now been sighted and it looks nice!

-DD-
Old 03-19-2001, 10:05 PM

hey chris, actually, I saw TWO yellows, both in South Bay. One top down driven by a middle aged gentlemen and another by a young asian woman. and for silversurfer's benefit, since i know he's gonna ask, yes, she was cute!
Old 03-21-2001, 11:03 PM

Try this one:
I just bought my silver/black 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I saw another new silver/black parked in front of a neighbor's house only 3 doors down the street!
So, at least I was the first one on the block ... Anyone on this board living in San Ramon (Thomas Ranch) and loving their spanking-new Stook?
-Stookster

Quick Reply: Depressing number of sightings this weekend