California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Forged or cast wheels

Old 12-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged or cast wheels

So I've been rolling on stockies ever since I got my car. I was going to place an order for pf01's when I saw the description of them being gravity casted. I decided to look up gravity cast and it said that it's the lowest grade of wheels being made and are susceptible to being porous if not cured correctly. Seems like all enkei wheels, correct me if I'm wrong, are made this way. Then I searched for cracked gravity wheels and enkei wheels came up the most being cracked. I know I know, I maybe jumping the gun about worrying if the wheels might crack if I do hit a bad pothole or just crack over time since the way it is casted. But it has me worried a tad. I may lean towards volk since they are forged and are stronger than gravity cast. What do you guys think about how wheels are made? Am I being a prude about this?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on how you drive. From what I HEARD, gravity casted are fine if your a careful daily driver (avoiding pot holes and racing over speed bumps). I have seen enkei wheels bend/crack over a pothole and rebounding onto the ground. Also if you plan to track/autocross i would not recommend these.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forged = lighter & stronger. More expensive
Cast = heavier & more susceptible to damages from potholes & inconsistencies in the road. Cheaper

In my experience & from observations of other cast made wheels; the investment towards forged wheels is better overall. Not only do you get a stronger, more consistent wheel in terms of load bearing, heat management & structure but IMHO you also retain more of the used price resale value. I've had a couple of offtrack incidents with my Volks before (RE30 & CE28s) & they all stayed true. I have however also seen many cast made wheels like Enkies & even semi-forged wheels incur damages such as slight bends in the lip, cracks or a major form of deformation from offtrack incidents or just from potholes from roads in SF.

I have no scientific data to back any of this up; just speculating from my own experience & research.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Good info guys . I'm glad I did my research before placing my order. My car is my daily, no track time. I frequent SF and have encountered many roads that are rough. Looks like Volk is on the top of my list
Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 PM

this is question like, ferrari or honda. one is more expensive, better quality, more time put in to it when manufactured. the other one is just a daily shit
Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Here for you to watch. Very informative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJeFB6SRslk&sns=em
Old 12-03-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
I have no scientific data to back any of this up; just speculating from my own experience & research.
Don't worry metallurgical science has all the scientific data you need. Forged is stronger.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
this is question like, ferrari or honda. one is more expensive, better quality, more time put in to it when manufactured. the other one is just a daily shit
i guess thats one way to put it?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1322889661' post='21206687
Don't worry metallurgical science has all the scientific data you need. Forged is stronger.

yes indeed Dan!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Armx02_R7Y0

Quick Reply: Forged or cast wheels