California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How careful are you with your car?

Old 03-19-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering how careful you guys in the Bay area are with your s2k's. I am planning on getting one when I move to the bay area this july (deposit already down), but I've been reading a lot of posts regarding how you shouldn't drive your stook to the mall, a theatre, etc. I guess I want to know what your opinions are on how careful you really need to be in terms of where you shouldn't bring the car. Not that I was planning on driving to ghettoville and parking it overnight or anything, but I just never expected that it would be bad to park in a mall.
This will be my first and only car, so it will be my only mode of transportation. I would hate to want to watch a movie, but stay home because of fear of my car being all messed up. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:14 PM

I brought mine home the first day and before I even got home, the widshield was chipped due to wonderful road debris. I pull into my garage and my bikes fell over against it. I backed out and the wife bumped it with her civic, and then as if those were not bad enough, I opened the door of my other car and dinged the wheel well!

Ok, so most of these things did NOT happen, but they CAN and quite frankly, as much as I'd like to baby this car, its still a car. First and foremost, it is a beautiful machine that gets me to where I'm going in style, and makes the trip there fun. I hated my first ding, but after awhile, you get used to the fact that things can, and sometimes do happen.

I babied my car the first month, and after that I realised I bought the car to enjoy it and drive it. Everyone just has to decide whats more important, living life, or sheltering yourself and car against the world. Your call!

Oh, in actuality, my car has roadwear on the windshield and good; I parked too far onto a curb rubbing out the bottom bumper lip; and I DID open my other car into my S creating TWO dings on the wheel well. GRRRRRR! Oh well, life is a b!tch and then we die.

Did I mention the shopping cart incident...
Old 03-19-2001, 02:03 PM

I'm careful with my s2k, buy as yu888 said, it is still a car.

I use mine as a daily driver. I do my best to park where there is the least risk of a door ding and my apartment building has underground parking. I bought the Colgan carbra for long trips (and I still picked up some chips on the hood). This is my first convertible, so I am a little cautious about leaving the car in a sketchy neighborhood because it is so easy to cut the top. But, when you move out here you'll see that there are plenty of more expensive cars and convertibles out there on Bay area roads than our beloved s2ks.

Where are you moving from? I recently moved out from New York and I wouldn't have wanted the s2k there.

Good luck and welcome to the left coast. (75 and sunny today, tomorrow and the next day).
Old 03-19-2001, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kizneda
[B]I'm careful with my s2k, buy as yu888 said, it is still a car.

I use mine as a daily driver.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I was having some doubts about the car when reading about how careful you have to be. Oh, and to answer Kizneda's question...I'm coming from Boston after graduating. Yup, I decided to do something financial unintelligent and get a $30k+ car coming out of college.
Anyway, thanks again.
Old 03-20-2001, 08:54 AM

I use mine as a daily driver. My S2k is almost 2 months old, and hasn't gotten any dings or anything yet (knock on wood!) hehe, but I think I'm a lot more mellow about it than my first car I bought. Although, I try my best to park
away from other cars (like parking next to a pillar at
the garage at work), I try not to worry about things too much. I got the s2k to drive, and it's a wonderful ride. Actually, I think I'm more worried about the plastic window when I drop the top than I am with other things heh.