California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

My recent encounter with various sellers and watch out for a 06 yellow AP2

Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My recent encounter with various sellers and watch out for a 06 yellow AP2

So I have been looking for a s2000 recently and have been going through alot of trading platforms.

So I saw this ad for a s2000 on ebay for a yellow 06 AP2 located in Torrance ca. At first the seller's bf told me the car has never been in any car accidents and all vins are in tack and only the soft top had tears so needed replacement and the valve cover was peeling. CarFax/Autocheck show clear of accidents and bs. Seeing the car only had about 58k miles on it, I thought the car probably was parked outside majority of times to get crack/tears on the top like that but the seller was willing to lower the price to compensate for a new top.

What made this transaction more headache was due to the fact that the seller moved from CA to NY and she won't be presenting herself during signing so I asked her to notarize her title and bill of sales but she wasn't very cooperative about that approach. So after about one week of going back and fore and finally having her agree to notarize the docs. So I sent the car in for PPI, what amazed the shit outta of me was that, this shop in Torrance claims they have worked on various s2000 and they have a showroom condition one as well failed to spotted two missing vin stickers (one rear bumper, one fender) even after I repeatedly told them to check for all vins before anything else!!

Long story short, being cautious as usual, I asked the seller's bf to make sure send me the pics of 10 vin stickers before I head down there to sign the paper. Guess what??? Missing vin stickers and they said they were not accident, but one was a long scratch on the rear bumper and the fender was hit by a gate so she replaced that as well. But never mentioned at the beginning.

Lesson of the day? Trust no one but yourself.

Last edited by 9ktouge; 06-26-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ktouge
So I have been looking for a s2000 recently and have been going through alot of trading platforms.

So I saw this ad for a s2000 on ebay for a yellow 06 AP2 located in Torrance ca. At first the seller's bf told me the car has never been in any car accidents and all vins are in tack and only the soft top had tears so needed replacement and the valve cover was peeling. CarFax/Autocheck show clear of accidents and bs. Seeing the car only had about 58k miles on it, I thought the car probably was parked outside majority of times to get crack/tears on the top like that but the seller was willing to lower the price to compensate for a new top.

What made this transaction more headache was due to the fact that the seller moved from CA to NY and she won't be presenting herself during signing so I asked her to notarize her title and bill of sales but she wasn't very cooperative about that approach. So after about one week of going back and fore and finally having her agree to notarize the docs. So I sent the car in for PPI, what amazed the shit outta of me was that, this shop in Torrance claims they have worked on various s2000 and they have a showroom condition one as well failed to spotted two missing vin stickers (one rear bumper, one fender) even after I repeatedly told them to check for all vins before anything else!!

Long story short, being cautious as usual, I asked the seller's bf to make sure send me the pics of 10 vin stickers before I head down there to sign the paper. Guess what??? Missing vin stickers and they said they were not accident, but one was a long scratch on the rear bumper and the fender was hit by a gate so she replaced that as well. But never mentioned at the beginning.

Lesson of the day? Trust no one but yourself.
wow. Goodjob doing your homework
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
wow. Goodjob doing your homework
Yeah, I don't want another buyer goes through the same bs that I went through and waste time.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lol

Was her name Rick?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Was her name Rick?
Old 06-30-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem I'm having right now, it's sucks because I have the cash to buy a super low mileage one but none of the ones I've found have been clean so far.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good call out. I'm selling my s2000 right now. If a seller can't honestly answer all those questions, then run!