California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

N/A E85 Tune (+30whp)

Old 05-19-2015, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
11:1 seems really rich. We don't even run turbo Subaru's that rich to make safe power, where I normally target 11.5:1 (other tuner friends of mine target 12:1). I settled around 12.3 on my S2000.

Something really seems odd here... Especially when referencing a Mustang dyno which generally touted as being a lower reading dyno (however, it's all in calibration, DynoJet is much better for comparison since a 3,000 lbs drum is s 3,000 lbs drum), and no exhaust mods. I've never found a car to gain power going that rich on corn, even boosting the crap out of it on E85.
FWIW, I run turbo cars in the 12's. Thats more about avoiding misfires and allowing the flame front to develop completely with a later ignition point without igniting it super early due to cylinder pressure constraints. In that instance I'm not hunting for 10whp like I was this one.

The mustang dyno can be run as inertia only if you wish. Higher end dynojets run the same eddy current brake our mustang dyno has. The eddy current brake actually works very well I've verified it using VD. Any dynometer can be manipulated even dynojets. Again, lets not focus on the number and only the gain.

If you found max power at 12.3:1 your blend was off or didn't find MBT again when you adjusted AFR. NA max power on E85 should be in the .81 -> .75 lambda range. If your car is AP2 with shorter rod ratio and faster piston speed its going to be more sensitive to the richer mixture. You'll need to add some timing when richening it up. My AP1 with the longer rod ratio will spend more time at TDC allowing for the flame to develop properly at a rich mixture.

IDK, you've got tons of variables here. Hell the wideband could've been calibrated wrong. The one thing i know absolutely FOR SURE 100% is that my AP1 on e85 picks up power being run richer than 12.3 (gas wideband)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I've only been tuning cars for over a decade and E85 for at least half of that. The SHO in the video also found its best power at ~12.3:1 and I did find MBT. To pick up 30whp on E85 without any exhaust tells me something is off.

I realize any dyno can be manipulated, however, for the reason racing sanctions ONLY use DynoJets for hp/lbs classing is because they are the most consistent from dyno to dyno.

I'll leave this alone... I'm sure Jason will come in and repeat what I've said.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM

I've only been tuning cars for over a decade and E85 for at least half of that. The SHO in the video also found its best power at ~12.3:1 and I did find MBT. To pick up 30whp on E85 without any exhaust tells me something is off.

I realize any dyno can be manipulated, however, for the reason racing sanctions ONLY use DynoJets for hp/lbs classing is because they are the most consistent from dyno to dyno.

I'll leave this alone... I'm sure Jason will come in and repeat what I've said.
Congrats on a decade of tuning cars. I found more power running richer than 12.3:1. Sorry but 12.3 is not maximum power for my S2K in its current configuration.
If you're really super confident in your hypothesis I have access to a local dynojet and we can have a friendly bet on if my car makes more power richer than 12.3:1. I'll happily take your money.

It's extremely well documented that .71/10.5:1(gas w/b) is within 1% of max power on e85. Not sure why its so hard to believe that I found max power at .75/11.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM

It's hard to believe because of the amount of power you gained by not touching the exhaust.

Just find a stock healthy S2000 to run a roll race with. Use a camera. Post it up; results will speak for themselves.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 PM

So this was done on FIC1100 injectors? Asking out of curiosity because I have a 2012 WRX that's running e85 and I have a stock set of injectors sitting around from that.

yamahaSHO mentioned e85 on a S2000 can be done with these WRX injectors and a tune??? Very interested in the details if that's the case, I can't get enough of the corn juice!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:25 PM

Yes, they are the same as the STi top feed injectors and will drop right in (I recommend new seals). I picked up my PnP clips from Treadstone and I have two other friends now running these injectors on their track S2000's for E85.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/107...t__p__23079660
Old 05-30-2015, 12:59 PM

It's hard to believe because of the amount of power you gained by not touching the exhaust.

Just find a stock healthy S2000 to run a roll race with. Use a camera. Post it up; results will speak for themselves.
@yahmahaSHO it's real. I raced a AP2 w/Exhaust and put several cars on it from a 40 roll. It wasn't close.
I also took a few members from this forum for a ride last night. It's very obvious the car picked up a significant amount of power.

I find it very discouraging when I try to share results and how I achieved them for the good of the community yet others attempt to discredit without actually investigating the situation. I understand your a tuner and thats you profession or whatever but I'm not even trying to tune NA s2000's. I had members contact me but my interest and time lies in big power Evos for the moment... At least until full race gets me my missing test pipe. The second that test pipe comes in my car is going turbo and will be ~450whp until I add a 2nd fuel pump. I'd love for you to bring your car out and try mine from a roll. Assuming you've got a NA 91octane car.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Was taken for a ride in evodiet's car last night. Can confirm it pulls much harder than my stock AP1 especially with two people in the car.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:18 PM

Videos...
Old 05-31-2015, 09:07 AM

How is the fuel economy of the e85? Heard that it gives you power but takes away your mileage. I commute mine daily and in averaging 27 mpgs, wonder if I do this mod, would my mpg get lower?

Quick Reply: N/A E85 Tune (+30whp)