California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Need to find parking in berkeley

Old 04-13-2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, i'm currently living in los angeles but plan on attending UC Berkeley in the fall. since ill be living within 2 mi of campus (dorms) they dont allow me to even have a parking pass. in addition parking for cal is a pain ;/ i'm bringin up the car just in case i need it and i'm 18 and dont really want to leave my car at home if you know what i mean.

so i'm looking for someone that lives relatively close by to cal (or a bus stop) that i can park my car at. i dont mind paying a "rent" so to speak, all i ask is that i have a spot always open and that is relatively safe thanks for any help.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:06 AM

Good luck finding garage parking. I know of spaces that are being rented out for between $40 and $200 a month...and even at those prices, they're all taken.

If you don't manage to find one, then as soon as you come, go to the city office of transportation. They'll sell you 2 week parking permits for $2 each. But you do have to find parking every day and no matter where you park in Berkeley, it's never safe.

I live among the professors and GSI's on the supposedly safe side of campus and I still managed to get robbed earlier this week.

BTW, what kind of job do you have as a high school senior that made it so you could afford an S2000? I tutored a bit in high school but even if I did it full time, there'd be no way I could have made payments...
Old 04-13-2003, 03:20 AM

probably the parential units? or he's been saving up his allowance for the last 10 years.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:19 AM
pll

Leave your car at home. You won't need it at Berkeley, especially if you're living in the dorms. Remember, you're supposed to be studing, not screwing around

Congratulations on getting into Berkeley...
Old 04-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

everything is in walking's distance in berkeley, and i'm sure your friends have cars if you need some rides to oakland/sf/san jose, etc. yeah and when you get an apartment, don't just take the first one you can find, look around. yeah if you park your car outside, it's a pretty dangerous place. your top can get slashed, everything stolen, etc. plus spots are HARD to find.. if you do find one, don't blink because if you do.. it's taken..

first day i got there someone got stabbed in the daytime at peoples park, a block away from my sisters dorm. be sure to try some of zacharys pizza in oakland, they have really good pizza, even if it is a bit expensive.

-george
Old 04-13-2003, 11:02 AM

Yeah...freshmen with cars end up giving rides to everybody...You're the designated gopher when you live in the dorms and have a car
Old 04-13-2003, 01:55 PM

Bring ur car, dude..good place to show it off~ but, in actuality, parking in berkeley is the worst of among. u never feel "SAFE" no matter where you park, no matter how safely you it on either in closed garage or whatever...
living in berkeley, goin to cal without a car wont be tough..
good luck~
Old 04-13-2003, 06:22 PM

your car is going to jacked up sooo fast there! people will bump into it cuz they dont care + people will mess with it!
Old 04-13-2003, 07:54 PM

i completely realize its not the greatest idea to bring the car...and if i had any other car i probly wouldnt bring it...

but imagine being 18 and leaving your baby s2k all garaged up, hundreds of miles away, months at a time? ack i duno
Old 04-13-2003, 08:27 PM

You gotta get used to the driving up here first. You can't go from the wide open spaces of Socal to the bump and grind of Berkeley that quick...

I mean, you're probably paying upwards of $400 a month for your car plus whatever you're paying for insurance...what are you paying for insurance anyway?

I remember it being a killer when I first moved to Berkeley and I just had a '91 Maxima back then

Quick Reply: Need to find parking in berkeley