California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Old 03-19-2002, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

hey guys,

i'm a 2nd year at UC Berkeley. i currently drive a 92 Civic HB hybrid and a 98 Prelude base. i'm looking to moving onto bigger and better things as soon as i can get some kind of cashflow going. s2k is the goal right now.

anyone have any gripes about the s2k? i know you guys love your cars, but even with Prelude, i had a couple things that i didn't particularly like. also, are there any bay area dealers that have low markups? out in San Jose, Capitol Honda has a fat $7000 dealer markup. here in berkeley, the markup is still a bit higher than i'd like.

any advice you guys can give would be great! thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:18 PM

Yea....the S2000 is too nice....

I hate it...
Old 03-19-2002, 06:17 PM

After 5500 miles I love mine so far. No problems, knock on wood.

Far as it goes, the dealer I got mine from had a 10K markup on as well. This was early November. I told them there was another Suzuka Blue in North Dakota available for list plus the cost of a flatbed, so I'd offer them $34,500. They accepted the offer.

Funny thing is, it is against California law to buy a new car outside of California because of the dealer protections they passed when they legislated the California emissions laws. I couldn't have bought the one in South Dakota if I wanted to!

I've noticed in posts on this forum that people that have bought their '02's in the last couple months have been able to get them at or near list.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:19 PM

Dude, I'm a 3rd year at Berkeley too, have you seen me around? You're more than welcome to check my car out if you're curious about it.

I've personally got no gripes, it's a badass car. Maybe I'll see you around sometime.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Psicho54
[B]Dude, I'm a 3rd year at Berkeley too, have you seen me around?
Old 03-19-2002, 06:41 PM

Yea I drive it to Berkeley Monday through Thursday ... I'm around quite often. I've seen about 3-4 in town and a couple of those seemed like students.

Jim Doten Honda in my experience has been a bunch of FOOLS. I hate that place (except the service department <---they are good) ... so basically I hate their sales department. Also, their markups are incredibly ridiculous to say the least. Avoid that place as far as purchases go. I'd look around out of the bay area ... this area is notorious for huge markups.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:15 PM

i was looking through ur S2K pics, and your dynos show a 18hp gain. i'm wondering what was the mod or mods that got you those numbers? i've never dynoed any of my cars before, but i imagine that an 18hp gain is pretty significant.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1
i was looking through ur S2K pics, and your dynos show a 18hp gain. i'm wondering what was the mod or mods that got you those numbers? i've never dynoed any of my cars before, but i imagine that an 18hp gain is pretty significant.
That was peak HP gain after installing the V-AFC and having it dyno tuned. However, that dyno sheet reflects inaccurate calibration and the overall numbers should be higher. Most stock S2000's will dyno around 200hp's at the wheels, but notice that my baseline run is much lower ... this is because the dyno machine was over compensating because of the horrendous weather that day. I dynoed it again in good weather and with the Injen intake, I dynoed much higher and much above 200 hp to the wheels.

It's very hard to extract anymore power from this engine though without going with forced induction ... that's why I'm quenching my thirst for speed and getting a Yamaha R6 I've spent enough money on my S2000 for now.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by SECRET AP1
i'm a 2nd year at UC Berkeley. i currently drive a 92 Civic HB hybrid and a 98 Prelude base.
I don't get it. Back when I was going to Berkeley, I didn't get a car until my 4th year, and it was a 10+ years old Ford that was held together with bailing wire and duct tape. I had to circle the residential neighborhoods to find a free parking space because I couldn't afford the parking garage. Now, even 2nd year students have 2 cars to drive; while others are driving around in S2000 or new BMWs. What's happening with kids now-a-days? Where do they get the money to buy all these cars?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
[B]What's happening with kids now-a-days?

Quick Reply: newbie