California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

R.I.P. Bay bridge/580 interchange

Old 04-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down R.I.P. Bay bridge/580 interchange

I'm just surprised the truck driver survived!

http://www.ktvu.com/news/13217992/detail.html

OAKLAND -- Roadway on Interstate Highway 580 at Interstate Highway 80, located near Emeryville is completely destroyed after an explosion caused the upper deck of a connector ramp to collapse onto the lower deck, according to a California Highway Patrol dispatcher.

Flames shot 200 feet in the air and the heat was intense enough to melt part of the freeway and cause the collapse, but the truck's driver walked away from the scene with second-degree burns. No other injuries were reported.

"I've never seen anything like it," Officer Trent Cross of the California Highway Patrol said of the crumpled interchange. "I'm looking at this thinking, 'Wow, no one died -- that's amazing. It's just very fortunate."

Authorities said the damage could take months to repair, and that it would cause the worst disruption for Bay Area commuters since the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake damaged a section of the Bay Bridge itself.

Nearly 75,000 vehicles use the portion of the road every day. But because the accident occured where three highways converge, authorities said it could cause commuting problems for hundreds of thousands of people.

Transportation officials said they already had added trains to the Bay Area Rapid Transit light rail system that takes commuters across San Francisco Bay, and were urging people to telecommute if possible.

State officials said motorists who try to take alternate routes Monday instead of relying on public transportation would face nightmarish commutes.

The tanker carrying 8,600 gallons of gasoline ignited around 3:45 a.m. after crashing into a pylon on the interchange, which connects westbound lanes of Interstate 80 to southbound I-880, on the edge of downtown Oakland about half a mile from the Bay Bridge's toll plaza.

A preliminary investigation indicated he may have been speeding on the curving road, Cross said.

The fire melted a second interchange from eastbound I-80 to eastbound I-580 located above the first interchange, causing a 250-yard section of the roadway to collapse onto the roadway below, according to the highway patrol.

Witnesses reported flames from the blaze reached up to 200 feet high.

Late Sunday morning, the charred section of collapsed freeway was draped at a sharp angle onto the highway beneath, exposing a web of twisted metal beneath the concrete.

The Bay Bridge consists of two heavily traveled, double-decked bridges about two miles long straddling San Francisco Bay.

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said the accident showed how fragile the Bay area's transportation network is, whether to an earthquake or terrorist attack, and has the potential to have a major economic effect on the city.

"It's another giant wakeup call," Newsom told reporters at the California Democratic Party convention in San Diego.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:54 PM

I think all mass transit is free tomorrow...
Old 04-29-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw that on the news. they said at least 3 months to repair it.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do guys always postlinks post some godddam pics

i gunna make a thread banning links cuz your too lazy to copy and paste

but yes..this is gunna make things suck big balls for traffic for northbay and central valley

thank fully no deaths
Old 04-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom said the accident showed how fragile the Bay area's transportation network is, whether to an earthquake or terrorist attack, and has the potential to have a major economic effect on the city.

"It's another giant wakeup call," Newsom told reporters at the California Democratic Party convention in San Diego

wake up calll????????????????????????????????/

that dum shit needs to take a ****in engineering class

high heat sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet steal + weight of concrete structure=collapse

this the exact situation that happen in the twintowers the heat from the airplane fuel fire melted the steal core structure and the floors gave way and the collapse resulted from the weight of each floor collapsing on top each other.

the only way to avoid this is to stop gas trucks from using bridges or to use alternate routes but that would be just insane......

but cuz of the caldecot tunnel fire back in the 70-80's i cant recall when a tanker truck crashed and exploded inside the tunnel it killed and insinerated all cars within

the result was no more tankers truck can use the tunnel

Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by rhayward,Apr 29 2007, 07:52 PM
why do guys always postlinks post some godddam pics

i gunna make a thread banning links cuz your too lazy to copy and paste

Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Which part of the freeway is this exactly? Is this the 580-80 split near Best Buy? Which road is closed?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

crazy
Old 04-29-2007, 08:31 PM

duct tape and zip ties and a lot of beer. things will be back to normal by tomorow
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by ItsBen,Apr 29 2007, 08:07 PM
Which part of the freeway is this exactly? Is this the 580-80 split near Best Buy? Which road is closed?
no way home ben? jk

Quick Reply: R.I.P. Bay bridge/580 interchange