California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Roll bar / cage questions

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roll bar / cage questions

Hey guys. Just got my s2k last week but I've been working hard to prep it for a track day in early April.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if I should get a roll bar / cage as it seems like a worthwhile mod (you know just in case). The s2k is going to be almost a dedicated track car but I'd like to retain the use of the soft top for now as I'd like to enjoy it a bit more before switching to a hard top.

What roll bar do you guys recommend? And which ones work with the s2k's soft top? And last but not least, anyone selling theirs? :P
Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard Dog is the way to go if you want something bolt in, high quality, and various configurations for keeping soft top, interior, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking into Ballade's myself, if you haven't already taken a look at what they offer you should check them out..
Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the Hard Dog, with removable harness and diagonal. The interior bits are REALLY hard to get back into place if you plan on keeping them, even with that setup. Tons of cutting, cursing, and cramming. In retrospect, I would have gone with the double diagonal, lowered harness bar, bulkhead replacement bar, and stock seatbelt guides. I would have skipped replacing the rear interior, even for a car I intend to keep very street-able. Ironically, the full-on, remove-your-rear-interior approach is actually easier to reverse if you ever want to take it back out and go back to stock, because you haven't cut everything to shit.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard Dog and Rockstar are pretty much the same, Rockstar says theirs is better, of course they do. I have Rockstar and they are in Cally vs NC for Hard Dog.
RSG 4pt roll bar - Rockstar Auto Garage - PH: (909) 766-0774
I did lose about an inch of seat travel.

Ditto the above, cut and piecing plastic together takes forever and a day and when you are done you have a bunch of cut up plastic. They both have the same design and both fit under a soft top or a hard top. Hardly anyone one takes them out once they are in, too much work.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
I've been looking into Ballade's myself, if you haven't already taken a look at what they offer you should check them out..
I've sold and installed a few of these roll bars and they are great. The only thing is that you have to remove all of the interior panels, but you can re use the center console if you modify it. To me its one of the best looking roll bars out there and works with the soft top. You can also add carpet like one of my customers did

The following users liked this post:
keeptrying56 (10-28-2021)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jr94513
I've sold and installed a few of these roll bars and they are great. The only thing is that you have to remove all of the interior panels, but you can re use the center console if you modify it. To me its one of the best looking roll bars out there and works with the soft top. You can also add carpet like one of my customers did

Wow. That is one clean install. Nicely done!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
I have the Hard Dog, with removable harness and diagonal. The interior bits are REALLY hard to get back into place if you plan on keeping them, even with that setup. Tons of cutting, cursing, and cramming. In retrospect, I would have gone with the double diagonal, lowered harness bar, bulkhead replacement bar, and stock seatbelt guides. I would have skipped replacing the rear interior, even for a car I intend to keep very street-able. Ironically, the full-on, remove-your-rear-interior approach is actually easier to reverse if you ever want to take it back out and go back to stock, because you haven't cut everything to shit.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up ordering the Hard Dog roll bar with the double diagonal and lowered harness bar (as well as the covers for the bar). I called them directly and Martha helped me out. She sounds like such a sweet lady. lol.

I actually prefer using vendors that aren't in cali as I can usually avoid getting tax'ed like crazy. Ship time from NC isn't that bad and I'm having them ship it directly to Trackspec.

I've also decided to completely remove the stock belt loop as I'll be using a Takata harness for track.

Will keep you guys updated but you can keep track of my build here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/automoti...-area-1170198/
Old 11-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So how are the rattles in this car now that the interior plastics have been removed? Should be pretty quiet besides the road noises no?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a clean install, but without the center compartments, where do you put anything?

Quick Reply: Roll bar / cage questions