California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: Which event will you be attending?
Sunday July 10, Thunderhill
52.17%
Monday August 8, Thunderhill
21.74%
Sunday September 18, Buttonwillow
21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

S2k Chrono Series

Old 06-10-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2k Chrono Series

Some of you have been aware of or directly involved with the setting up of a Northern California based Time Attack series, specifically oriented towards different car groups. Today, we would like to introduce the S2000 specific rules to the Bay Area as the pilot test group, through the end of this weekend, before posting to the Racing and Competition forums.

First- Thank you all in the Bay Area for participating in the several test excel sheets, countless midnight emails, discussions, and the help of several key members in hammering out the details with the rules. I'd specifically like to thank Eric B. for leading with organization of the rules, and the other members that contributed in buttoning them up - Edwin, Adam, Mac, and Vu (to name a few). These members will continue to contribute with new ones that do not post on the forums, but will be attending the events. We look forward to your feedback - Specific questions about your car or how to determine what you have, should be directed to S2kChrono@gmail.com

The automated spreadsheet is now online (and updated)! You can play with setups, check your points, etc. (The artwork is still a work in progress. You'll see it evolve, thanks to input from the drivers!)

S2000 Chrono Classes
( 00 - 24 pts) => Street Class
( 25 - 44 pts) => Street Modified
( 45 - 79 pts) => Modified
(80+ pts) => Unlimited/Exhibition

- Take your time to double check the sheet and read through carefully.
- When ready, submit your sheet. We will receive an xml that will display your modlist and points total that we will use as a reference during the track day inspection.
- If you change your setup, no problem! Just resumbit and we will update your sheet in our files.

The inaugural Chrono event will be July 10, 2011 at Thunderhill, with the second half of the 2011 track season to shake out the process. The 2012 calendar will have a full season of events.

•Sunday July 10, Thunderhill
•Monday August 8, Thunderhill
•Sunday September 18, Buttonwillow

The series will be run at Thunderhill, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow racetracks in 2012.

Season winners will be determined by selecting the best five Chrono finishes for each driver for the season. Drivers who participate in more than five Chrono events will have an opportunity to improve their scores; drivers who participate in fewer than five events will have fewer opportunities for season points.

Logistics

Chrono Series events will take place on a single track day, some on weekends and some on weekdays, at tracks in California. The Chrono Series will have its own run group exclusive to entrants in the series, and will not be combined with other Open Track or Race drivers. It is open to any Point-By, Open or Race qualified driver, as defined by NCRC rungroup guidelines, and will be run in an open passing format.

Chrono drivers will have a separate drivers meeting from the open track drivers, and do not need to attend the regular drivers meeting.

Registration for the Chrono series is through the NCRC website registration process. Note that we expect high attendance for Chrono events, and it is your responsibility to be registered and paid early enough to guarantee a spot in the event.

Chrono Event Format

The Chrono daily format will consist of five track sessions including:

A Practice Session to warm up and get your car set up for the track conditions.

A Qualifying Session in which all drivers will drive for their best lap time, to determine the grid order for the first Chrono heat.

Chrono Heat 1 in which all cars will be gridded in order of the qualifying session, with fast car being at pole position and released first from the pits. The grid will be marked with car numbers so drivers can find their position. Cars will be released approximately one second apart from the pits. Each driver's best lap time from any of the three heats will count as his or her best time of the day, and used for the series score.

Chrono Heat 2 where all cars are again gridded, this time in the order of best lap times from Heat 1. Again cars are released one per second, looking to set their best lap time.

Chrono Heat 3 where all cars are again gridded, this time in the order of best current lap times of the day (i.e. Heat 1 or Heat 2). Again cars are released one per second, and this is the last chance for each driver to set their best lap time of the day.

A typical Chrono schedule will be 15-minute sessions for practice and qualifying, followed by three 20-minute heats, all in one day.

Scoring

Points are earned at each series event and are accumulated for the year-end championship. Points are awarded to the top 8 finishers for each class as follows:
1st = 10 pts, 2nd = 8 pts, 3rd = 6 pts, 4th = 5 pts, 5th = 4 pts, 6th = 3 pts, 7th = 2 pts, 8th = 1 pt

Points are subtracted from the days score for each spin or major "off" (4 wheels). For one spin, one point; two spins = 3 points; 3 spins = 6 points; four spins and you're out of the event for the day.

Car and Driver Requirements

List of minimum requirements-

•AMB Transponder (supply your own or rent one from NCRC or Anish - $25 NCRC / $15 Anish - I only have a few for now )
•Unique numbers across the Chrono Series, must be displayed on both sides of the car in 8" vinyl numbers (numbers may not be made from tape or shoe polish)
•Accurate car description, including manufacturer, model, color and car classification must be on file with NCRC before the start of the event
•Car must have the current fastest time of the day written on the windshield, starting with the first heat
•Helmet, long shirts & pants must be worn
•Chrono Series stickers are required on both sides of car
•No passengers allowed

Entry Fee

Chrono Series entry fee will be the regular open track fee (typically $99-179 depending on track) plus $5.00

Prizes

For 2011, we will issue certificates for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at each event. We will do our due diligence at the end of 2011, reviewing any holes in the rules bring forward actual prizes for the 2012 season.

(And a hello from New Orleans to my friends enjoying their boba tonight.. )
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try my best to make it on July 10th.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of you know me, and know my involvement in the rules, I'm the Eric that he mentioned. If you have questions about them feel free to PM me. Also two critical pieces of information not listed are the different classes and point limits in each class as well as the minimum weights for each class and associated "penalty" for going under.

There are four classes

Street 0-24 pts
Minimum weight 2950lbs

Street-Modified 25-44 pts
Minimum weight 2900lbs

Modified 45-79 pts
Minimum weight 2850lbs

Unlimited 80+ pts

As a way to understand the points it is based on the notion that 1 point = .1 seconds at a ~ 2 minute track

Weighing is apparently going to take a little bit before it all gets sorted out, but the 2011 season is a bit of a test anyway. If scales are ready it may be done at the first event, if not the plan is that they should be by the 2nd event. Weight is what your car must weigh with driver when it exits the track at the end of any given session. The weighing procedure is not yet decided on but I would expect that you'll need to be weighed with a full tank which is roughly 80lbs. Cars can compete under the minimum weight limit. Each 10lbs under minimum weight will cost 1 point. We figured we should let you know about the weight regulation before you went stripping out your cars
Old 06-10-2011, 07:39 PM

Great series you guys are putting on for the local community. Looking forward seeing the local talent and those new getting on to the track.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by logikbmb
Great series you guys are putting on for the local community. Looking forward seeing the local talent and those new getting on to the track.
Its events like these that made me quit several other car forums altogether. Love how our cars are built for these events and especially love how everyone is enthusiastic about taking our cars to the limit in a competitive way.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks for setting all this up.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:03 AM

woot! im excited about this. do we have to wear long sleeves and long pants. it does get quite hot out there
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
woot! im excited about this. do we have to wear long sleeves and long pants. it does get quite hot out there
Well I know we do have to wear long pants but I'm not really sure about long sleeve shirts. That's the first time I've heard of it. At least race suit is not required.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:26 AM

yeah. i wore shorts last time
Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woot Woot!

Great work Anish, Eric & team! Thanks for putting this together for the community & giving the opportunity! Trying to make the 10th!

Quick Reply: S2k Chrono Series