California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

S2K Rear Plastic

Old 10-14-2001, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K Rear Plastic

My baby is only 4 months old, and when the top is up I can barely see thru the rear plastic. The dealer told me Honda is aware of the problem, but the only warranty fix is to polish the plastic.

Pretty weak service.

I read that the 2002 S2K is using hard plastic for the rear window.

Anybody have any feedback.

Michael652
Old 10-20-2001, 01:14 PM

gilcwong,

Where can you buy those two 3M products?
Old 10-22-2001, 09:22 AM

Apparently, some people have had luck getting their dealers to replace the window, either under warranty or as a one-time courtesy. I haven't asked my dealer to replace it, but I've heard conflicting claims from numerous people, so I assume this is at the dealer's discretion. I had mine less than two months before the window was completely distorted and useless. Another board member has initiated a class action lawsuit (http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...&threadid=32198) to try and get Honda to address the problem for two reasons, the first being the safety hazard created and the second being the inferior quality of this window as compared to those in other vehicles. I strongly agree with the safety portion of this argument, as if it were not already bad enough that we have an enormous blind spot, my rear window (16 months old, now) is next to useless, especially in inclement weather. Many people have cited other manufacturers' use of a plastic rear window on convertibles as a reason that this lawsuit is frivilous, but the fact of the matter is quite to the contrary. Whether or not other manufacturers also use inferior products is not an issue, and furthermore, I have yet to see another plastic window from any other manufacturer display the problems mine has. This vehicle has unfortunately shown a number of problems and I feel Honda has been very reluctant to address them.
Old 10-22-2001, 10:14 AM

I wish I knew...

DaRKCrow
"too late now......its all fogged"
Old 10-22-2001, 04:30 PM

23 months 11 months 22 days and counting....
My back window has a small creaseline, but I drove it with the top up yesterday just to make sure it was fine...and it is! I can still see as clearly as I did when it was new. The proposed lawsuit is a perfect indicator of our lawsuit-happy society. Absolutely frivilous!

if you really have a bad window...which is possible, dealers can and will, at their discretion, replace the rear window piece for you, but only ONCE.

To respond to the original thread topic: Protect the back window with a Muz Mat or similar cloth cover for the Window/Roof Well, and tuck a towel or "Miata Tube" in the window as you close it and the window will be well maintained. Occasional use of Plexus or another "plexiglass/Plastic-safe" cleaner will help remove the haze that builds up on the inside of the window. I was amazed at how much of the "fog" I was able to remove using a wipe-on-wipe-off cleaner. I personally use a product called "Scratch-Out" sold at Pep-Boys and several chain auto stores and it works great. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2001, 04:33 PM

honda has a TSB about the rear window. their solution is to use Honda Metal Polish on the window. I can tell you firsthand it works like a charm.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:51 AM

does anyone know of a place where i can get the Muz Mat at? can you please give me a link. Also, is there any place you can go and spend some $ to replace the plastic window to a glass window? I went to honda the other day and they told me inorder to replace the rear window, you have to buy a new top alltogether. which was around over $1000.00.
Does anyone know if you can replace the 2001 top with the 2002 top yet?

PS. Please send me the link to get the Muz Mat.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bayareas2k1
[B]does anyone know of a place where i can get the Muz Mat at?