California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

S2k_born Garage - History of Soft Tops

Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BBS2k
What's the pricing to have the retainers on an ap1 chnaged out for ap2s
that unfortunately is a job I wont be able to do at this time... there is a special tool that is needed to replace the retainers properly and smoothly
while the head is still on the engine. I did have the tool at one point, then it was stolen. Sorry I cant help there...
Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 PM

Hmmm...might be interested in softop
Old 06-14-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonKiller99
I know, me too, how much do those aftermarket ones go for?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM

The aftermarket Robbins top, which is the best aftermarket top you can get right now that includes, new rivets, new bands, glass window and proper packaging. They run $415.00 to $500.00 depending on which one you get. OEM tops are about $1000.00

I have installed an "EZ" top and they are not EASY to install, rivet holes need re-drilling, cloth fitment not as good, and doesn't include rivets and bands, so that why I will charge more for anything other than Robbins or OEM.
Let me know
Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Always nice to have other options in addition to Joey!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by AP1S2KNIT
Originally Posted by XenonKiller99' timestamp='1402787263' post='23203608
If you guys would both like to replace the soft top, I will discount both jobs. The aftermarket Robbins top, which is the best aftermarket top you can get right now that includes, new rivets, new bands, glass window and proper packaging. They run $415.00 to $500.00 depending on which one you get. OEM tops are about $1000.00

I have installed an "EZ" top and they are not EASY to install, rivet holes need re-drilling, cloth fitment not as good, and doesn't include rivets and bands, so that why I will charge more for anything other than Robbins or OEM.
Let me know
Hey I will be in touch. I might be waiting until my rip gets REALLY bad before I take corrective action. For now a little wind noise and moisture isn't causing too much problems. If Vue is going to get his done around the same time that I bite the bullet, I might have some more questions up front.

One of my concerns is that my car is a theft salvage, and I'm not entirely sure that the frame itself is legit.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:33 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Were you the guy that worked on my sisters red civic SI? She was very happy with your work and attention to detail if so.

EDIT: Yes this fine gentleman did work on my sisters car and she loved his work. She says he's awesome!

Personally vouched!
Touge is a good guy. If he vouches for you, then cool. If I need anything, I'll be sure to check out. Welcome and have fun in BA.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by S2020
Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1402767468' post='23203436
Were you the guy that worked on my sisters red civic SI? She was very happy with your work and attention to detail if so.

EDIT: Yes this fine gentleman did work on my sisters car and she loved his work. She says he's awesome!

Personally vouched!
Touge is a good guy. If he vouches for you, then cool. If I need anything, I'll be sure to check out. Welcome and have fun in BA.
Thanks brother! I vouch for this guy because he helped my sister out in a pinch, and she had nothing but confidence after meeting him and seeing her work. He went "above and beyond" the basic maintenance she requested, and the fee was more reasonable than any local shop.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by manystyles
I'll go one step further: it's not even a question of, "options," it's about building out our community and ecosystem.

I have no idea where politics came into this: someone is trying to build a mountain out of a molehill. Ladies and Gents, the voting system for goods and services should always be with your wallet. Past that, there's no need to overtly "build up" or "tear down" anybody, especially right out of the gate. If someone performs a shitty job, then you don't go back. If the offending party continues to do it, they'll be out of business soon enough (usually). If someone is doing a great job, then usually the other folks in the community step up their game, ideas get shared, and the higher water raises all ships.

The way in which we accept other people into the community speaks volumes of our own character. When someone asks you for a recommendation, be clear, be open, and be honest. Candor invites people to care. Demonstrating your anger (and lack of self-control therein) does not.

As per Mike, welcome! Annnnnd, WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU LOCATED?!?!?! The Yay is kind of a big place.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Originally Posted by manystyles' timestamp='1402788852' post='23203624
I'll go one step further: it's not even a question of, "options," it's about building out our community and ecosystem.

I have no idea where politics came into this: someone is trying to build a mountain out of a molehill. Ladies and Gents, the voting system for goods and services should always be with your wallet. Past that, there's no need to overtly "build up" or "tear down" anybody, especially right out of the gate. If someone performs a shitty job, then you don't go back. If the offending party continues to do it, they'll be out of business soon enough (usually). If someone is doing a great job, then usually the other folks in the community step up their game, ideas get shared, and the higher water raises all ships.

The way in which we accept other people into the community speaks volumes of our own character. When someone asks you for a recommendation, be clear, be open, and be honest. Candor invites people to care. Demonstrating your anger (and lack of self-control therein) does not.

As per Mike, welcome! Annnnnd, WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU LOCATED?!?!?! The Yay is kind of a big place.
I think my sister say Mike moved to Discovery Bay? I'll delete this post if I am corrected?

Quick Reply: S2k_born Garage - History of Soft Tops