S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   California - Bay Area S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-bay-area-s2000-owners-18/)
-   -   Steering wheel not centered after alignment (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-bay-area-s2000-owners-18/steering-wheel-not-centered-after-alignment-1055105/)

andrewhake 10-24-2013 11:23 PM

Steering wheel not centered after alignment

Just got a fresh alignment done at Auto Innovations, and my steering wheel is not exactly centered. Obviously everything was done to the specs I requested, but is this just a problem of the steering wheel not quite being centered when the alignment was done? I wasn't sitting in the car when it was aligned, but I am not that heavy so I can't imagine that being the issue. Basically while driving the car straight on the freeway the wheel is angled a tiny amount to the left, letting go of the wheel and it doesn't seem to pull in any direction.

Is it possible that something else might be damaged? Should I go back and sit in the car on the alignment rack, making sure the wheel is properly centered while they adjust?

Thanks.

Update:
Stopped by Auto Innovations today and they got it dialed in just right for me. I still get the usual behavior when driving on the freeway due to the crown in the road, but it is much more subtle now and when on a flat road everything is nice and square up. :thumbup: I also had them increase caster from 6.0 to 6.5 and what a nice difference that makes in the weight of the steering with a staggered setup. I told them I would gladly pay for the cost of another alignment since I decided to change the caster specs but Orlando was nice enough to make the changes for free. Big thumbs up for AI. Highly recommended.

Thanks again for everyone's help and information.

Sylvan 10-24-2013 11:31 PM

If I was to guess, because it has happened to me before, the steering wheel might have been slightly off-center when everything was aligned. I don't think it had to do with you being in the seat or not at the time. I bet if you take it back they'll fix it right up.

andrewhake 10-24-2013 11:44 PM

Hoping that's the case, but they align many S2000s and it doesn't seem like this is a common problem. I have never really had any majors offs other than the one at Thill, but even that one was pretty mild until I ran over a large bolt. I will setup another appointment with them to have them check it out. It is nothing dramatic but it drives me insane while cruising on the freeway and other roads I know are flat and I have not had issues with in the past.

tkeyyy 10-25-2013 12:16 AM

had this issue when i got the car aligned. steering wheel must be exactly straight.

just an fyi, got my car aligned at vex. 2/3 times they didn't even straighten the wheel until i pointed it out.

Sylvan 10-25-2013 12:24 AM

This reminds me I need to schedule an appointment as well. I'm not too happy with my UK spec alignment, it understeers pretty bad. Time for a change! Hopefully they can squeeze me in before Thunderhill next month.

andrewhake 10-25-2013 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sylvan (Post 22845571)
This reminds me I need to schedule an appointment as well. I'm not too happy with my UK spec alignment, it understeers pretty bad. Time for a change! Hopefully they can squeeze me in before Thunderhill next month.

I was using F: -1.5 R: -2.0 stock toe and caster at Laguna with good results. Some understeer into T2 but I believe my rear camber was actually beyond -2.0. Trying F:-1.6 R:-2.0 this time with a bit less rear toe. Depending on how it behaves at Thunderhill I think I will try for the max -camber in the front (I believe it is -1.8) and -1.8 in the rear.

I wonder how much the rear toe can change under braking and other situations?

boyguan 10-25-2013 11:42 AM

max camber is good for turn in but affects high speed stability. If its off center its due to the flex in the bushings and play. usually they turn it left and right so the play is same left and right and center it.

if it bothers you just bring it back

jr94513 10-25-2013 01:01 PM

Just Because The Steering Wheel Is Off A Bit Doesn't Mean Ur Alignment Is Off. They Should Be Able To Straighten It Out For You NO Problem. If Not Pm Me I Can Help You Out Or If You Have A Jack,Colored Sharpie And Some Wrenches I Can Guide YoU On Doing It Yourself

rob-2 10-25-2013 01:04 PM

Good guys there. They'll fix it for you. Call them instead of posting problem that is fixed with a visit :)

andrewhake 10-25-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2 (Post 22846836)
Good guys there. They'll fix it for you. Call them instead of posting problem that is fixed with a visit :)

I have had this same issue before, went back, and was told the alignment was correct, so I wanted to see if there might be something I am overlooking. Either the steering wasn't quite centered while it was aligned, or the alignment is correct and something else is going on with my car, so trying to figure out what the actual problem is. I am just wondering If I should look into seeing if some bushings need to be replaced or something else. It doesn't seem like it can be a tire wear issue, I have gone through many sets of tires that always end up with slightly different wear due to how they are used, but never had issues with the steering going out of alignment even with tires worn all the way to the cords.

Auto Innovations has been great for me, couldn't recommend them more.