California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Thinking of moving to bay area...

Old 06-26-2005, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may also want to consider renting a little south of S.F.. Save your self some cash. Like Redwood City or Palo Alto, although you will have a small commute. I live in Mountain View and pay $850 for a 1 bed room 950 sq foot. And my S2k, bike, and Bronco have never been touched
Old 06-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Jun 25 2005, 10:10 PM
Hey everyone-

I am looking into the possibility of moving to the Bay area within the next 2 years. I am graduating from Grad school with my Masters in Accounting. There are apparently quite a few firms in San Francisco. My father owns a home in Grass Valley (just north of Auburn, CA on 49). That is WAY to far to commute everyday. I just have a few questions about the area and housing.

I am interesting in owning, not renting (renting will be last option). Are there any areas within 30-40 miles of the city that are decently priced? I am looking around $250-350k. What neighborhoods are the "good" and "bad" areas of town. I was looking at the Haight-Ashbury side of town this weekend (I am kind of a Hippie). I want an area where my car will not get thrashed if parked on the street. I was looking at a few homes that were for sale (little 2-3 storey things with a 1-car garage under). I am not sure if these are out of my price range. What are the pricey areas to not waste my time looking in? What areas are decent (crime, gangs, etc.) areas?

Any input would be great. I am looking forward to getting outta the "Bible Belt" that is North Florida and into the Cali sun.

Thanks

John
umm you can get a 1 bedroom 1 bath in walnut creek for 310k that's prolly the cheapest you'll find in a nice area. you can find a 3bedroom 2 bath in concord for 550k

but these prices won't last past december. by january they'll be up 30-50k.

i'm in real estate, so let me know if you have any questions about various neighborhoods, pricing, etc...

if you want to go further, you could get more for your money, but everything's really expensive everywhere... so the sooner you buy the better.
Old 06-26-2005, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=jwa4378,Jun 25 2005, 10:10 PM] I was looking at the Haight-Ashbury side of town this weekend (I am kind of a Hippie).
Old 06-26-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by achink1234,Jun 26 2005, 02:56 AM
From what I have heard, there is a new way to purchase a home. I dont remember the name of it (maybe shared ownership) but it goes like this;
Most of the home in SF are two story buildings. Some one buys the top floor, another buys the bottom floor. Shared common work around the home.
I rent in SF. My one bedroom is 1240 per month with utilities and cable. Good Luck
Tenancies in Common
Old 06-26-2005, 06:21 PM

If you do Walnut Creek, you can take BART to work and not have to worry about your car(unless you park it in the tiny spots at BART)...
Old 06-26-2005, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by BigMeanBull,Jun 26 2005, 02:06 PM
rent to own? nope

if your gonna buy anything you should do it now...Sacramento's housing has been going up also. in two years you'll probably be looking at 400 to 500k at least in sacramento
As good intentioned as the advice to buy now because the market will only be going up, it is incorrect. There are may people in the bay area who are placing themselves on the road to to financial ruin because they believe that if they don't buy a house now they won't be able to afford one in the future. Don't rush your decision, and #1 DO YOUR HOMEWORK! It's not an easy or simple decision to make. The bay area housing market is not without risk and you need to be prepared for possibility that your house could lose value in the short term. Generally the short term loss will be recovered over the long term but do you intend to stay in the house long enough to recover potential loss?

Before buying a house you need to consider how long you're going stay there, how much house you can afford and what level of risk you are willing to accept. If you decide to buy a house, you will undoubtably be presented with a number of creative financing options. Be extremely cautious and wary of them. They are the right choices for certain people in certain circumstances but can provide significant risk to others. Most people don't fully appreciate the risks involved, they only believe the best case.

The bay area housing market growth is unsustainable, it's not a matter of if it will correct but when and how. We exist right now within a bubble not unlike that of the stock market of the late 90s-2000. The prices are being driven by speculation and at some point the bubble will pop. Do not presume that the prices will always go up. People did that in 2000 and lost their shirts.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:42 PM

[QUOTE=CrazyPhuD,Jun 26 2005, 09:35 PM] As good intentioned as the advice to buy now because the market will only be going up, it is incorrect.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stockton house with 2 car garage for rent near Hammer Ln $975 a month. Use the rest of your money for jdm mods yo

http://stockton.craigslist.org/apa/80390330.html
Old 06-27-2005, 12:11 AM

Yo Ed
Old 06-27-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RACER,Jun 27 2005, 12:11 AM
Yo Ed
yo whats cookin?

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to bay area...