California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use

Old 08-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that as of yesterday, it is now $309.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I see what you mean about the mental connection vs. hands connection. Can we agree that those who read a novel while driving are equally distracted compared to cell phone users? I've seen a lot of people reading while driving, and I'm not talking about reading a map while sitting parked at a stop lights, rather, while in motion.
I think everyone would agree to that.

I wonder if cops can/do ticket people for (a) reading stuff (b) doing makeup (c) etc. in addition to the usual phone/texting.

The mistake with this was calling it the hands-free or no-cell-phone law.

It should have been the dont-do-shit-that-distracts-you-from-driving-law-or-else-we'll-kick-your-ass-law.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
It should have been the dont-do-shit-that-distracts-you-from-driving-law-or-else-we'll-kick-your-ass-law.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny cuz my friend got pulled over for talking on the cell phone and the next day I see the same cop driving while talking on the cell phone. I should of took a picture...lol RIDICULOUS. ANd he kind of ran the stop sign. Didn't fully completely stopped.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonKiller99
It's funny cuz my friend got pulled over for talking on the cell phone and the next day I see the same cop driving while talking on the cell phone. I should of took a picture...lol RIDICULOUS. ANd he kind of ran the stop sign. Didn't fully completely stopped.
Unfortunately, I believe that police officers are allowed to be using a cell phone while driving. If I can find the time, I'll find the source.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Emergency personnel are in the course of their duties. What are the odds that was the case though?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by Offtrack' timestamp='1313534364' post='20884456
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1313513794' post='20883131']
Nothing but a money grab. It's been proven already that the danger is just talking on the phone, not if it's hands free or not. If they are really concerned about safety, ban cell phone use all together.
As a non-coffee drinker, I'd vote for a law that gives tickets to those who drive with a scalding hot coffee cup in one hand. In my opinion that is more dangerous than a cell phone, though if being distracted is the issue that could be debated. Would be funny to see the cops have to test the temperature of the beverage before giving a ticket. Not to mention, how many cops do you see driving one handed with a Starbucks in the other hand?
It's not a physical issue (i.e. holding the phone/holding a cup of coffee) it's the fact that when using a phone and driving (hands free or not) you are splitting your thoughts/attention/mind between 2 things. Like Voodoo said, it's been proven.

Sorry to hear about the ticket and thanks for posting. This is a good reminder for me.
Let my mistake be a friendly reminder for all.

I see what you mean about the mental connection vs. hands connection. Can we agree that those who read a novel while driving are equally distracted compared to cell phone users? I've seen a lot of people reading while driving, and I'm not talking about reading a map while sitting parked at a stop lights, rather, while in motion.
[/quote]

And thanks again for posting. It was kind of you to post this as a learing for the rest of us even knowing the potential feedback would not always be positive. I am always reminded what a great group this is.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your ticket Casey. That's a pricey one. The online traffic school I just took must be out of date, because they quote a cell phone ticket as being <$50. And I feel ya on the uselessness of Bluetooth in the S, unless the top is up. I could never get mine to work well enough, and it just irritated whomever was in the other line. Had to settle for the corded Apple earbuds, even though they were always a pain to untangle.

And as a side note, for anyone who drives in Santa Clara county: OH MY GOD DON'T SPEED. Got a 77 on a 65 fwy within a week of getting the Evo (so much for new car without plates, empty record, etc... No warning for me), and the only online traffic school they will allow you to take if you want to hide that point is a 6+ hour, stupid one complete with timers that don't let you go to the next slide at a reasonable speed. Learned my lesson, though for the wrong reasons.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This cost me $160. Not as bad as I thought, but definitely a hit to the wallet.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update, yeah that sucks man.

Quick Reply: VC Section 23123 Hand Held Wireless Telephone Prohibited Use