S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   California - Central California & Sacramento (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-central-california-sacramento-62/)
-   -   Classic Sports Racing Group at Infineon 3/25-6 (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-central-california-sacramento-62/classic-sports-racing-group-infineon-3-25-6-a-372367/)

ChasBone 03-24-2006 11:24 AM

Classic Sports Racing Group at Infineon 3/25-6

...you really ought to check this out. I've been going for years to see these classic race cars compete - they are beautiful classics that we grew up drooling over. I'd recommend it to any car nut! I'm heading over Sunday since the weather is supposed to be better. Here's the blurb off Infineon's website...

The Classic Sports Racing Group (CSRG) begins its 39th year of competition this weekend (March 25-26) with a full slate of vintage car racing planned at Infineon Raceway.

Approximately 220 competitors are expected to race on the world-famous 12-turn, 2.52-mile road course in seven different groups, including Vintage Formula Juniors and the historic NASCAR Group, which will feature a vintage Richard Petty car. Other cars featured over the weekend include Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, Alfa-Romeo and Corvette, among others.

"It's a pretty big event considering it's so early in the season for us," said Dan Radowicz, executive administrator for CSRG, which boasts 450 members. "Usually we get around 180 cars for this, so 220 is pretty good. We'll have competitors from California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and as far away as Colorado."

The CSRG first competed at then-Sears Point Raceway in 1968 and will host two events this year in the Sonoma Valley. The second event, the 3rd CSRG Charity Challenge, will take place Oct. 13-15, with all proceeds benefiting Speedway Children's Charities, the charitable arm of Infineon Raceway. CSRG has donated more than $175,000 the first two years of the Charity Challenge.

One of the more popular opportunities of this weekend will be the track rides. Fans can be the passenger on a lap around the legendary circuit for free, all you have to do is register with the CSRG in the driver's lounge. See a CSRG representative over the weekend for restrictions. Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.

Practice and main events will take place on both Saturday and Sunday for all seven racing groups. Practice begins at 8:30 a.m. each day, with timed main events scheduled to begin at approximately 1 p.m. Cost is $10, free for children 12-and-under. For more information, visit www.csrgracing.org.

oakfloor 03-24-2006 02:59 PM

They will also be at thunderhill later this year, yes they are a real hoot. We should try to plan a group drive up there, and take the back way in. very nice drive last time we went. :D

ChasBone 03-25-2006 10:41 AM

If you're talking about going tomorrow - cool. I'm meeting a friend for coffee early, then strapping my daughter in for the drive over. We plan to exit Hwy 80 at Rockville Road in Fairfield, and head NW through the farmland and vinyards to the Hwy that winds up over the mountains and down into North Napa, then over past Sonoma (Hwy 121?) to the track - nice ride.

If you're up for tomorrow, PM me and we'll set a meeting point and time.

If not, maybe a trip to Thunderhill when the CSRG returns.

Cheers.

tron1 03-27-2006 07:18 AM

I am sorry I didnt see this link earlier...I wanted to go to that event...but if it is also being held at Thunderhill I would go that. Please post info ASAP when you can confirm dates.

ChasBone 03-27-2006 08:25 AM

I'll see what I can find out about CSRG at Thunderhill and post it here...

(here's what I found)
2006 SCHEDULE

Mar 24-26 Infineon Raceway
Sears Point CA 1st Annual Event See Below

May 12-14 Thunderhill Park
Willows CA Featuring HGP and Formula Junior in addition to CSRG race groups -

Sept Laguna Seca Raceway tentative -

Oct 13-15 Infineon Raceway
Sears Point CA Charity Challenge -

Nov 3-5 Thunderhill Park
Willows CA Fall Finale -

We went on Sunday to Infineon, the "long way" - to Davis, took Russell Road west, it turns into Hwy 121 at Winters, along the southern end of Lake Berryessa, and dropped down into the north edge of Napa. It a very beautiful winding route. Then Old Sonoma Road to HWY 12, and on to the track.

They directed us to park in the pits/paddock area with the race cars - very cool! I put the S between a Lotus and a Lola!

Anyway, CSRG is not really a big spectator draw - there were maybe a few hundred people there total - so we pretty much had the run of the place.

oakfloor 03-27-2006 11:05 AM

Im in for may! plus theres NASA, and SCCA races. so lets make this a plan. tron1, your the the designated group leader :LOL:

tron1 03-30-2006 07:35 AM

Thanks for the props Oakman.... :LOL: :LOL:
I would be interested in attending... :hello: