California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Accident question

Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident question

Hi guys, I was wondering for those knowledgeable with insurance if you could help me out.

I got into a minor accident few days ago driving my friend's car. A small pickup truck that was driving to the left front of me merged into my lane (I was in his blind spot) and we bounced off each other.

The cop came along and wrote a collatoral report but couldn't determine who was at fault (since the other guy decided to tell him that it was me who merged into his lane although the damage clearly shows otherwise).

If the front / middle driver side of my car is damaged and the rear / middle part of his car is damaged, who would be at fault? the cop was threatening us that it was going to be 50/50 fault since he couldn't tell who was at fault. He was also threatening me that the insurance is going to go up regardless because he wrote up a collision report. is this BS?

Also, what would happen to my premium? my insurance told me that I would be a secondary insurance coverage since the vehicle is not under my name.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM

first off, just because there is a police report on the accident doesnt mean your insurance is going to go up. your insurance premium only goes up due to an accident ONLY if it's your fault.

now as for who's fault this accident is.... thats upto the adjusters. your friend's car insurance company will be the first to cover any loss (if it is deemed your fault). if the other party (truck guy), if his insurance company accepts fault and liability, then that company will pay for any damages up to the limits on that policy.

as for what goes on who's records... this is what will happen:
your friend's insurance company will have a record of a loss/claim.
the other guy's insurace company will have a record of a loss/claim.
the other guy's driving record will show an involvement in an accident.
your driving record will show an involvement in an accident.

here's the thing about the driving records though.. it doesnt show who's fault it is in the accident. it just shows that there was an accident. the insurance companies are the ones with the record of the specific loss/claims and that will show whos fault it is.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM

I'll put money on the fact that the other parties insurance will not take liability.

I was involved in an accident where the other person made a left from a side street and hit me in the rear and their insurance denied my claim. I couldn't figure how they denied it because it was so obvious who was at fault.

Long story short, I took them to court and found out that they made up some bullsh!t about how I cut them off.... anyway judge found the other person to be blowing smoke up his @ss and found them liable. for the judge for seeing bullsh!t from a mile away.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by S2KANDRE,Oct 2 2007, 01:44 PM
I'll put money on the fact that the other parties insurance will not take liability.
most likley.