California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Another wheel/tire question

Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another wheel/tire question

Ok so recently I had to replace my 50% worn passneger rear tire. It was a Falken 451 18" and it got incredibly worn/warped on the inside tread of the tire. And not just on the treads, but even warped on the inside WALL of the tire. The rubber was nearly cracking on the inside wall. It was so bad that I couldn't drive over 65 or else it would make the ride incredibly bumpy and loud. And on top of that just about 2 months ago I had to replace the passenger side FRONT tire that probably still had about 70% tread left for cracking all over the outside wall of the tire.

I got the rear replaced at an America's tire co. with the same tire setup and I asked them to check my rim to see if it was bent or what was causing the problem. I wasn't there when they did it but they told me that it was indeed slightly bent. It didn't sound bad but it was noticeable. But now that the new tire is on my car drives perfectly just as it did before.

My question is what should I do to prevent that same problem in the future? The tire shop guys recommended getting an alignment done but with the new tire on the car drives perfectly, there is no movement whatsoever and it isn't bumpy at all at any speed. I inquired about rim repair but there seems to be mixed opinions on that since melting metal can compromise the integrity of the wheel.

has anyone had a similar problem with cracking/warping on their tires? would an alignment help me out in this case? has anyone had any experience with getting bent rims repaired and not just curb rash? My wheels are Racing Hart C2s and aren't made anymore, so getting a new wheel won't be the easiest thing. Any suggestions are appreciated. My rear tires are 245/35/18 and I know I can't expect much mileage out of them, but cracking after like 5,000 miles sucks.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:26 PM
AP2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might want to check the DOT#s on the tires that cracked...tires should be replaced after 3 years, regardless of tread....I've seen/worked on many tires that looked new, had tons of tread but they were old and needed to be replaced...also too much tire shine can cause cracking of the sidewalls...