California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

AVOID: Auto Upholstery by AJ in Northridge for Soft Top Replacement

Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AVOID: Auto Upholstery by AJ in Northridge for Soft Top Replacement

Avoid at all costs! They split my roll hoop covers -___________-

Here is a copy and paste of my yelp review:

TLR - Don't bring your s2000 here. Better yet, just don't bring anything here at all...honestly...

I hardly ever go on Yelp to write these reviews, but I felt like I needed to for this place. I'll try to give my review in a professional capacity, despite leaving this place very infuriated by the "service" I was given. I brought my S2000 to have the soft top replaced. First of all, the seeming owner, George, gives off the impression that everyone that goes to him for his services are pestering him or annoying him. Gives off a " I don't really have time for you" type of attitude.

I'm the type who is very meticulous about things and very hesitant about letting others touch my car, but installing a soft top is out of my skillset. So, I read some positive yelp reviews of other S2000 owners getting their soft tops replaced here and decided to give them a shot. I should have never come here.

Problems:
1) They left the drilled-out rivets everywhere in my car, especially under the soft top tray (an area that is very difficult to get to without taking out the entire soft top). So now, I have metal bits and pieces clinking around in my car. RATTLES EVERYWHERE.

2) They didn't even install the defroster wiring harness onto the glass window. This isn't a huge deal, but goes to show you the "attention" to detail they have...

3) The biggest problem of all: They split open my roll hoop cover on my driver's side. The S2000 plastic hoop covers are plastic welded together (not fastened by any clips) from factory and aren't meant to be taken apart. Once taken apart, they will never be put together in the same way as Honda intended it to be (something proven by trial and error by the online S2000 community). The only way to fix this is to replace the entire roll hoop and roll hoop cover as 1 piece... I was told not to open the soft top for a couple of days to let the fabric stretch, so I only discovered the issue after I put the soft top down. I take the car back to let them know they messed up, even though part of me knew they wouldn't take any responsibility. I was right. George denied ever touching the part (which is bull) and tried to give me the run around saying that "his installer" who worked on my car wasn't in. Then he says he was the one who installed it. Then it was them both installing it at the same time. He offered to put silicone adhesive to it, but it is a band-aid fix to my problem. He explicitly stated he would not replace anything and denied any wrong doing. Ridiculous. By the way, this is a 180 dollar part brand new...

4) The top has too much tension on the left compared to the right when trying to latch. Might be due to a misalignment of the fabric.

5) The top doesn't create a perfect seal. I don't want to get into the small details of this.....

In conclusion, this place is not at all what I expected it to be. Definitely don't want to come back here again... Even if my soft top fails and I need to claim warranty through this place, I'd rather buy a completely new soft top and get it installed somewhere else than to deal with this place.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

They did the soft top on my ap1. Overall its ok... Wont be going back there however... Owner is a dbag.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the owner is pretty douchie... must find another shop to do soft top in the future.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the shitty service you received, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:12 PM

you want me to go over there and make a scene??
Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 AM

You walked away and thats it?????? Dude i would raise holy hell! get a refund and then post a detailed shitty review which they'd prob have yelp delete
Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Report them and get refund.
Seriously, you should not live with that shitty service on your s2k man.
I think the BBB can help you if they will keep giving you trouble.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:06 PM

I had an amazing experience with them.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 AM

Can you post a picture of the broken part?
I need to get my top replaced soon and would like to know what to look for.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rockstar garage is the most experienced shop when it comes to the s2000 soft top replacement. weve probably replaced more tops than most all other shops..combined.. weve been specializing in s2000s since 2006.

im sorry for your bad experience... this is why i recommend taking your car to a specialty shop every time! the s2000 is a fairly unique car. in the hands of someone who isnt very experienced with the car, issues are bound to happen.

Quick Reply: AVOID: Auto Upholstery by AJ in Northridge for Soft Top Replacement