California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Ballade Sports S2Ki & Loss of Repair License

Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by AstroPhsx
I was told by a well known by an S2Ki moderator (that is highly respected and praised) last month on the phone that it this is 100% a ban. I'm not sure if they are aware that JulieU changed the label (as mentioned in her post in this thread). No idea if they keep documentation or if they'd be allowed to come back after S2ki was purchased by IB. At the end of the day the ban to me only means they cannot be involved in this conversation which is unfortunate and which is why I post evidence with my review on Yelp instead of just giving my side of the story. I did my best to allow Ballade to be represented by posting their response on Yelp.
I was a Moderator here for 10 years, and an Admin for 5 years. Ballade was a vendor on here whilst IB has owned the forum. I was involved in quite a few emails regarding Ballade, your information is inaccurate.

Ballade was moved from sponsor to the banned group initially as he stopped paying for sponsorship, he was later moved to the 'former vendor' category as most other vendors are moved to when they no longer are a supporting vendor/sponsor. JulieU stated this above, also an Admin here.

The emails regarding Ballade's standing on the forum are from October-December 2017. Again, your information is false.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I was a Moderator here for 10 years, and an Admin for 5 years. Ballade was a vendor on here whilst IB has owned the forum. I was involved in quite a few emails regarding Ballade, your information is inaccurate.

Ballade was moved from sponsor to the banned group initially as he stopped paying for sponsorship, he was later moved to the 'former vendor' category as most other vendors are moved to when they no longer are a supporting vendor/sponsor. JulieU stated this above, also an Admin here.

The emails regarding Ballade's standing on the forum are from October-December 2017. Again, your information is false.
More than one person has been told different information from an active moderator who has just as many years on the board as you. I haven't seen any evidence either way, but if you say you have access to documents that state they weren't banned I'll take your word for it. At the end of the day I appreciate the support I've received here and hope that others are able to make an informed decision before they decide to do business with this shop.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

More than one person has been told different information from an active moderator who has just as many years on the board as you. I haven't seen any evidence either way, but if you say you have access to documents that state they weren't banned I'll take your word for it. At the end of the day I appreciate the support I've received here and hope that others are able to make an informed decision before they decide to do business with this shop.
Not to beat a dead horse, but what you’ve been told simply isn’t true. I don’t know who the other moderator is/was but they weren’t included on the emails regarding this so they’re spreading false information.
Ballade was removed for non-payment, end of story. Their status was changed to former vendor as the agreement was ended mutually.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by jdmjunkie562
Any updates?
Yes, I'll have an update hopefully this week.

It looks like 12+ positive Yelp reviews have been pulled down. One of those reviews was from a family member of the shop. I have evidence showing that the shop may be posting fake reviews, which might explain why so many positive reviews have been pulled down recently. In my opinion it looks like the shop has been trying to bury negative reviews instead of changing their business practices.

There is a negative Yelp review posted today citing that Alex may have scammed them on motor mounts ($800 after install) and a TCT that needed replacing in order for the car to function. They are also continuing to charge a deposit. Why do you need a deposit when you have the person's car? When the parts you are replacing are your own branded parts? Sounds like Alex knows these repairs aren't vital for the car to run properly and uses it as leverage to make sure you can't back out of it.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You can view my review on this forum. Ever have a shop tell a financial institution you signed a fiscal agreement when you didn't? Keep your paperwork. Ever have them promise to install one part but install another? Take photos. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex threatened IB to change his title b/c it was hurting his business. He never came on here and tried to say my review wasn't true. I wonder why... Document photos, conversations, and keep your paperwork. Always. It's so easy now that things are digital and in the cloud.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
Rockstar has their own set of less than stellar reviews... But i have to say the classiest thing I've seen Justin do is create a thread announcing they were leaving S2ki...but before they leave, talk about how this site has gone down hill
If that's the classiest thing you've seen him do, you weren't watching very carefully. I've seen one move after another from him as an individual that's impressed me over the years. Nobody is perfect, no shop is without reviews but so rarely are good reviews given honestly. Oh and hey long time! lol. I think I went fro ma 29ppd to a .000029 ppd on here.

This site has gone down hill, hell it went downhill when the ownership changed and the site was down for a few etc., might honestly have been on a spiral starting just before that. I figure everyone left because I wasn't venting hoods. LOL Still it's good to see that a decent group stayed. Ultimately what happens with any car is it becomes a little affordable and your class of ownership falls to the floor. However, it's been long enough our cars may go to RX7 FD status with time and things could turn around a little.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaor.s2k
I would NEVER go to Ballade.

Before I moved to SoCal I have already seen a lot of mixed reviews, but ever since moving to SoCal I have heard ONLY negative experiences with their services and most of their products first hand.

Service wise, I've heard they are notorious for not torquing anything to spec, they just use an impact and tighten the shit out of everything, this includes valve adjustments. Speaking of valve adjustments, I have been told they don't even let the engine cool down...so that's awesome.

Product wise, they don't stand by them at all and they are sub-par quality. My friend has their OEM style carbon hardtop with OEM glass and seals and it leaks..a lot and Ballade won't do anything about it, which sucks because their replica isn't much cheaper than a mint OEM top. Another friend has their headers, which leaks, they say it's normal...And the funniest story about their products I have heard was from another shop, Chewerks, which is one of the few shops I trust with my car. He had a customer come in and wanted to install Ballade's FK8 brembo retrofit BBK and he finds out that they milled down too much material on the calipers and used JB-Weld to fill it.
They impact tighten the shit out of their valve adjustments? :lol: Come on dude......... As for letting it cool down, so long as it gets to a reasonably warm touch, there's very little change. One fine day 6 years ago I tested this theory, I did a valve adjustment on one exhaust side as hot as I could possible do it without being badly burnt. I let the motor "cool" to ambient 110degree socal day and it was less than .001 change, enough that only the drag on the feeler gauge could detect at best. For whatever that crude test it worth, it's far from scientific no doubt. Still I suggest folks let the motor cool down, silly not to and uncomfortable to work on a hot engine or in a hot engine bay isn't it?

I can't speak on the other things you mentioned one way or another, I don't defend what I don't know. Alex has been pretty solid towards me over the years and that's all I can say. He's helped me when he didn't need to or have to and when money wasn't involved.
-Greg
Old 08-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Yes, I'll have an update hopefully this week.

It looks like 12+ positive Yelp reviews have been pulled down. One of those reviews was from a family member of the shop. I have evidence showing that the shop may be posting fake reviews, which might explain why so many positive reviews have been pulled down recently. In my opinion it looks like the shop has been trying to bury negative reviews instead of changing their business practices.

There is a negative Yelp review posted today citing that Alex may have scammed them on motor mounts ($800 after install) and a TCT that needed replacing in order for the car to function. They are also continuing to charge a deposit. Why do you need a deposit when you have the person's car? When the parts you are replacing are your own branded parts? Sounds like Alex knows these repairs aren't vital for the car to run properly and uses it as leverage to make sure you can't back out of it.
Well, a TCT could be considered a requirement, it is on my car one of the very worst of any TCT issue I've ever seen on an S2K. I went through a handful of TCTs in just 36k miles and it continued until I bought Alex's product which has lasted me 25k or so and sadly just the lat 1000k miles I heard it slightly when heat soaked. FML

TCT failure will equate to extra timing chain wear which could equate to a failed chain and thus failed motor. I wouldn't suggest ignoring a bad TCT issue long term. Sure the car will drive without it but not without accelerated wear on a component that really matters. $.02
Old 08-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k
Well, a TCT could be considered a requirement, it is on my car one of the very worst of any TCT issue I've ever seen on an S2K. I went through a handful of TCTs in just 36k miles and it continued until I bought Alex's product which has lasted me 25k or so and sadly just the lat 1000k miles I heard it slightly when heat soaked. FML

TCT failure will equate to extra timing chain wear which could equate to a failed chain and thus failed motor. I wouldn't suggest ignoring a bad TCT issue long term. Sure the car will drive without it but not without accelerated wear on a component that really matters. $.02
Though this could be true with many things on this car. Even down to what type of oil you use and how that can cause wear/damage on certain parts.

It just seems to be Alex's shtick to use fear tactics to talk people into premature or suggest non-needed repairs to make more money off of them. He has developed a negative reputation for poor customer service and for ripping people off. The guy is unethical, at times has run his shop illegally, seems to have committed what appears to be fraud, has had his wife and who knows what other family members write his positive Yelp reviews, and now after enough complaints the State of California has stepped in.

Quick Reply: Ballade Sports S2Ki & Loss of Repair License