California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Both turning left accident?

Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both turning left accident?

Hello guys just wanted your input on my accident that happened today. I was stopped at a intersection in a two left turn lane (which has left arrow signal, and I was on the far left lane) and when the green arrow lit up I proceeded to make my left turn. However, from my right (going perpendicular to me) a vehicle which had a yield on yellow left turn arrow decided to proceed through their left turn after turning into red, as I simultaneously turned left on my green left arrow. So myself and oncoming traffic(parallel to me) both had a green left arrow, while the other vehicle that hit me (perpendicular to me) was trying to make a left turn because they were unable to complete it on a green and yellow light. The car that hit me had a traffic light that says yield on yellow which had turned red, along with all other lights being red beside my green left arrow and oncoming traffic green left arrow. Sorry if its a little confusing, but who is at fault in this situation? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

GREEN ARROW is my vehicle.

RED ARROW is person who hit me.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds to me like they were trying to beat a red light and were in the process of making their left when your light turned green and you proceeded. Can't say who is at fault because it could be either of you. If the other car entered the intersection on a yellow, it's your fault. If it was red, theirs.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Could end up being your word against theirs but understand even though you had the green and they might have pushed the yellow / red it was your responsibility to let the intersection clear before proceeding...just my understanding.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 AM

hmm ic. I definitely did not notice a car pulled into the intersection waiting to make the turn. So I guess it is going to be their word against mine, because they would not admit fault when the incident happened. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its ridiculous situations like this that makes me want to get a dash cam. Just let the police make the call when they watch the video.

I was 20 when I got ****ed over from a word-against-word situation and I was too naive to ask for a lawyer or something. I hope you don't get faulted for this.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:37 PM

Your insurance company will advocate for you and most likely find you not at fault. The other drivers insurance company will probably try to argue improper lookout as they will state you didn’t check the intersection before you proceeded. Most important will be points of impact, damage review, and a review of the scene to see exactly where and how far each of you were into the intersection to see who had control of the intersection. But I’ve seen thousands of these, just repair through your insurance company, let them subrogate and most likely go to arbritation and hope your adjuster has a better liability investigation than the other so they can win and get you back your deductible. But yea dash cam for the win.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not certain the specifics of the law in CA, but in general they have a duty to clear the intersection if they are already in it (the intersection begins where the roads cross, well beyond the crosswalk). That being said, there's usually a ~3 second delay between their light turning red and yours turning green. If they waited long enough for you to begin your turn before proceeding, I would say the fault lies with them. The final determination will be up to your insurance if there wasn't an investigation/determination done by the police. If you haven't already given a statement to your insurance, make sure you speak in no uncertain terms about your having a green light and the other driver having a red.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
I'm not certain the specifics of the law in CA, but in general they have a duty to clear the intersection if they are already in it (the intersection begins where the roads cross, well beyond the crosswalk). That being said, there's usually a ~3 second delay between their light turning red and yours turning green. If they waited long enough for you to begin your turn before proceeding, I would say the fault lies with them. The final determination will be up to your insurance if there wasn't an investigation/determination done by the police. If you haven't already given a statement to your insurance, make sure you speak in no uncertain terms about your having a green light and the other driver having a red.
Ty. I already gave me statement to my insurance letting them know I had gone on a green and the person hitting me was going on a red.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by andytran04
Your insurance company will advocate for you and most likely find you not at fault. The other drivers insurance company will probably try to argue improper lookout as they will state you didn’t check the intersection before you proceeded. Most important will be points of impact, damage review, and a review of the scene to see exactly where and how far each of you were into the intersection to see who had control of the intersection. But I’ve seen thousands of these, just repair through your insurance company, let them subrogate and most likely go to arbritation and hope your adjuster has a better liability investigation than the other so they can win and get you back your deductible. But yea dash cam for the win.
Yes I am hoping its in my favor becase the person that hit me has front damage, whereas mine is on the passenger side.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by pIERCE
Its ridiculous situations like this that makes me want to get a dash cam. Just let the police make the call when they watch the video.

I was 20 when I got ****ed over from a word-against-word situation and I was too naive to ask for a lawyer or something. I hope you don't get faulted for this.
Yes I am definitely getting a lawyer. However they did not have proof of insurance and told me they will send it to me when they get home, which they have not. My insurance said they would call them for me and I guess im just waiting to see what they say.

Quick Reply: Both turning left accident?