California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Clutch Install DIY

Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chhrism
Are you still providing clutch replacement services?
Just sent you a private message.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Alright, so long story short, I'm in the middle of doing this for the second time in three weeks to swap to my spare transmission. I left the very top bellhousing bolt out when I did my clutch a couple of weeks ago because I had a sneaking suspicion I'd be in there again very soon.

First time around sucked because the bolts were all incredibly stuck. I easily wasted two hours on the top starter bolt, three hours on figuring out how to get my stripped driveshaft bolts out, and three or four hours getting the transmission stabbed / removed from car. I spent probably 15 hours total.
I've got my original transmission on the floor and I will finish up the reinstall tomorrow but it took me two hours from time of jacking the car up this time to get this far. I figure another 2-3 hours tomorrow.

Some transmission removal tips:
1. Remove the rubber foot that prevents the motor from moving forward on the front subframe, this allows the motor to angle further. Put the stock scissor jack between the valve cover and intake box or whatever to angle the motor when stabbing / removing the transmission.
2. You don't NEED to remove the header, but it will save you time getting the transmission out of the car. If you don't remove the header the transmission basically needs to shift left at the rear and kinda barrel roll out once you've removed the shifter. Take the ten minutes to remove the header, I can't imagine getting the transmission back in like this. I would imagine an aftermarket header actually has more clearance and might make the job completely do-able without pulling the header.
3. The top starter bolt just needs a 14mm wobble socket, 12" extension, 6" extension, and a small wobble between the previously listed extensions and your 3/8" ratchet. It is easier to position the socket on the bolt from below the car with some flexibility after you feed the socket through to the approximate area it needs to be. I safety wired my wobble socket on to the extension to prevent it from coming off.
4. Buy all new driveshaft bolts and some bolt removal sockets if this is your first time taking the transmission out (https://i.imgur.com/wAnb439.png)
5. Buy the Harbor Freight transmission jack with the 20% off coupon for $88 if you're doing this solo, it makes life easy.
6. Just buy a 1/2" electric impact gun, a set of 1/2" and 3/8" impact wobble sockets from Harbor Freight, and a set of 1/2" impact extensions from Harbor Freight.

Last edited by Chibo; 08-31-2018 at 09:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chibo:
pIERCE (09-02-2018), vtecaddict (09-03-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Alright, so long story short, I'm in the middle of doing this for the second time in three weeks to swap to my spare transmission. I left the very top bellhousing bolt out when I did my clutch a couple of weeks ago because I had a sneaking suspicion I'd be in there again very soon.

First time around sucked because the bolts were all incredibly stuck. I easily wasted two hours on the top starter bolt, three hours on figuring out how to get my stripped driveshaft bolts out, and three or four hours getting the transmission stabbed / removed from car. I spent probably 15 hours total.
I've got my original transmission on the floor and I will finish up the reinstall tomorrow but it took me two hours from time of jacking the car up this time to get this far. I figure another 2-3 hours tomorrow.
Ohhhh good times. I remember the first and last time I did a clutch job on my car it took a lot longer than expected too. All my bolts were seized and took 500lbs of force to break them loose. I was literally hanging my entire weight off the breaker bar on my back under the car breaking mad sweat bitching and moaning and cussing at my car lol.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Good stuff guys. Thanks for adding you personal experiences on here
Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised to hear that SoCaler's bolts were so frozen, that's something I'd expect to hear from rust belt people.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueap2
Here is a recent clutch install I did for a member on here. I could've taken more pictures but it was a pain to take pics with my SLR with dirty hands. If you're in socal I will do it for you at a low cost....

Follow me on IG for more pics: nalgas_de_fierro

To begin you need the following tools:

Sockets: 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm
Wrenches
8mm allen wrench
At least two jack stands
At least 24 in of wobble extensions

Begin by removing the stock air box (3, 10mm bolts)

Attachment 117609

Attachment 117610

Attachment 117611

Remove the serpentine belt by moving the idler pulley counter-clockwise (14mm)

Attachment 117612

Remove the top alternator bolt (14mm)

Attachment 117613

Rotate alternator over clockwise

Attachment 117614

Insert the extensions and remove top starter bolt (14mm)

Attachment 117615

Attachment 117616

Remove the black heat shield (4, 10mm bolts)

Attachment 117617

Remove exhaust manifold heat shield (4, 12mm bolts)

Attachment 117618

Remove exhaust manifold nuts (7, 12mm nuts)

Go under the car and remove the manifold support (2, 14mm bolts)
Using two wrenches remove cat/header bolts (2, 12mm)
Under the subframe, remove motor mount nuts (4, 17mm)
Lift the passenger side of the motor about 2in and remove header from below.

On the driver side under the car, remove the A/C condenser bolts (4, 14mm)
Mark the position of the steering shaft and remove the bottom bolt (10mm)
Loosen the top bolt (10mm) and slide the joint towards the firewall

-Inside the car: remove the shift knob holding locking nut with 14mm wrench
-Remove the center console (it just snaps out, unplug two harnesses before removing)

Attachment 117619

-Using a flat head screwdriver, there are 4 arrows on the annular plastic piece, insert screwdriver and push towards the outside of the ring

Attachment 117620

Remove the shifter (3, 10mm bolts)

Attachment 117621

Back under the car:
Remove driveshaft bolts (8, 8mm allen wrench)
Remove the lower brace bar (3, 14mm per side)
Lower subframe (3 bolts per side, remove the middle one (19mm), the closest ones to the firewall are 17mm (back out 3 inches), the ones farthest away are 19mm (back out 3 inches)

Remove slave cylinder on transmission housing (2, 12mm)

Attachment 117622

With a jack support transmission housing and unbolt tranny mount (3, 14mm)

Attachment 117623

Remove transmission bolts (2, 14mm & 6, 17mm)
Disengage fork from throwout bearing

Lower jack and pull the transmission out until the main shaft is completely out

Attachment 117624

Remove pressure plate (12, 10mm 12 point nuts)

Attachment 117625

Random Pictures:

Worn out clutch:

Attachment 117626

Resurfaced flywheel

Attachment 117627

Brand new disk

Attachment 117628
Bump for helpful DIY.
The following 2 users liked this post by primetimeswole:
blueap2 (09-06-2018), pIERCE (09-06-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Ohhhh good times. I remember the first and last time I did a clutch job on my car it took a lot longer than expected too. All my bolts were seized and took 500lbs of force to break them loose. I was literally hanging my entire weight off the breaker bar on my back under the car breaking mad sweat bitching and moaning and cussing at my car lol.
That sounds really familiar to me down to the sweaty ass bitching at the car haha
Old 09-08-2018, 01:05 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I also remember the first time I pulled the transmission on my s2000. The whole job pro took me 3-4 days total and about 20+ hours of bitching. Now I have probably done it close to 10times and I can get it all day by myself with no lift in like half a day easy. I also highly recommend the harbor fright transmission jack. You don’t need it and can install the transmission with a normal jack but you life will just be a lot easier with a transmission jack. Make sure you have Allen sockets with a wobble extension for the propeller shaft bolts. You will probably stripe the bolts if you use the 90 degree Allen wrench.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Also use less extension pieces by using longer extensions. No more than 3 extensions. The more you use the more give/movement there is between each piece, harder to feel the bolt, more likely to strip a bolt. Also you'll have to break the bolt loose by hand. Can not use an impact wrench. The extension pieces will absorb the impact and never break the damn top bolt loose
Old 09-18-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this has been posted in this thread but this saved me yesterday and I would recommend it for anyone struggling/unsure about that starter bolt. Just remove the alternator instead of tilting it to the right (only two electrical connections and one more bolt), then remove the intake manifold support bracket (4 bolts) and then the tensioner bracket will come out.

From here, you can see the starter bolt and can get to it with straight extensions. After finally getting this done yesterday, I personally recommend doing it this way, especially if you are uneasy about the knock sensor or rounding that starter bolt. should also make reassembly easier

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un.../#post23089562

Quick Reply: Clutch Install DIY