California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Has anyone seen King Tut

Old 10-13-2005, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone seen King Tut

Just wondering if anyone's gone to see the King Tut exhibit at LACMA.

-Is it worth the $30? ($33 with ticketmaster's "convenience" charge )

-How do the times work? Do you have to be in and out in a certain amount of time?

-Anyone got a hook up on tickets?

nate
Old 10-13-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A coworker of mine did - I rather not. The word on the street is that there is a curse on the tomb!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 AM

i heard the exhibit is top notch....despite the curse of the tomb....
Old 10-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by aznhomie,Oct 13 2005, 10:53 AM
i heard the exhibit is top notch....despite the curse of the tomb....
For $30, it better be
Old 10-13-2005, 11:19 AM

I've been- it's pretty incredible and the exhibit is very well done. The time slot is only your arrival time- you can spend as much time in there as you would like. However, it is very crowded- I would recommend going during the week (if possible) or very early in the day on the weekend. Also, DEFINITELY take the audio tour. Is $33 worth seeing artifacts over 3,000 years old that rarely leave Egypt? For me it was.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:38 AM

I went last week and I thought it was pretty good. I was, however, a bit disappointed that they didn't have more artifacts from his burial casket/mummy. For example, the iconic "King Tut Mask" that they have plastered all over their advertisements wasn't there, etc. Don't get me wrong, it was very interesting and well thought out, I just thought it was a little lame that the one artifact they have been advertising wasn't there. Bah - I'm just hard to please Oh and I agree with kmp5 - get the audio tour - very helpful.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:54 PM

My oldest daughter has seen it and loved it...I'd love to see it!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:27 PM

It looks really cool, I would like to go. I heard he was 'going on tour' this year! I didn't know it was $30 though - I would hope they'd have a lot of stuff to look at.
That Egyptian stuff fascinates me!
Old 10-13-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Oct 13 2005, 11:38 AM
I went last week and I thought it was pretty good. I was, however, a bit disappointed that they didn't have more artifacts from his burial casket/mummy. For example, the iconic "King Tut Mask" that they have plastered all over their advertisements wasn't there, etc. Don't get me wrong, it was very interesting and well thought out, I just thought it was a little lame that the one artifact they have been advertising wasn't there. Bah - I'm just hard to please Oh and I agree with kmp5 - get the audio tour - very helpful.
Actually, it is VERY light on the actual Tut Stuff - They have many "period pieces" which are of some interest but are only marginally worth $30 (not to mention paying for parking) and a long line. If you go, do get the audio tour as it helps.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Oct 13 2005, 11:38 AM
I went last week and I thought it was pretty good. I was, however, a bit disappointed that they didn't have more artifacts from his burial casket/mummy. For example, the iconic "King Tut Mask" that they have plastered all over their advertisements wasn't there, etc.
Actually it was there. The photograph you've seen in the advertisements is a photo of the miniature sarcophagus that is displayed in the exhibit. The craftsmanship of the miniature is so good, you can't tell what scale it is from a photo.

I saw the show several months ago, right after it opened. My friend works for LACMA, so he got me in for free during a brief period when they were offering that perk to employees. I will check to see if there are any more "hookups" remaining.

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen King Tut