California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

How many got Sirius radio?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many got Sirius radio?

Ok...here's the gig.

I just got this this installed yeserday in my car...

Still not as "clear" as I would like...

And yes I go ALL the "toys" with it (Hardwired in to FM, Docking kit, Stiletto 2, professional install) so equiptment is not the issue.

I want to know how many of you guys that have had it for a while ever use the "normal" FM radio...why?

Cuz I want disconnect the "normal" FM attena...thus removing ANY chance of static whatsoever.

Only those with satellite radio need to respond...since it is your opinion that I need.

I guess I can't think of any reason that I would still need "normal" radio...since this thing is like a self updating iPod (can store music that is playing with 1 push of a button...like a 100 hours).

Thanks in advance.

BTW: It took me this long to find a shop that would even touch my car...that I would trust at least.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 PM

I've had Sirius in my other car since 2003. It's one of the early Sirius RF modulator systems so the sound is good but not great. I still listen to the "normal" FM radio for baseball play-by-play since XM has the contract for that. If the Sirius and XM merger is ever approved by the government this would no longer be an issue. There is also a local sports talk show that I listen to on FM radio. However, if you're strictly listening to music, there's really no other reason I can think of to keep the FM antenna.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 PM

ok i am a installer for a small audio company call Viejo Auto Sounds. If they installed the FM Modulator then you have a direct route to your radio and wont have any problems with static what so ever. you can remove the antenna in the back if you like or even get it shaved off if you dont listen to the radio. Another option you could have gone with is a radio with a built in satalite radio tuner. this way you eliminte clutter and all you have is a new radio with a butt load of options. since you already have it installed then it is out of the question. you can remove the stock antenna and it wont have any effect on your sound only if you have the FM modulator installed.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and i could further assist you.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had Sirius for about a year now. I listen to it in spurts. Quite honestly, with a direct connection. The audio quality still sucks! However, in exchange you get Howard Stern uncensored...So it's almost a wash
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got this on our new '08 Ram Hemi. Frankly, based on past experience in some of our other cars, I never listen to FM. Unless you crave the viewpoint of that Public Radio station I have no need for it anymore.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sirius came built into my SUV, I tried it free for 6 months and liked it so much that I bought the lifetime subscription for $399. My Sirius sounds significantly better than FM radio. The variety of music is good and no commercials is great.

I still listen to regular FM for Mark & Brian in the morning and 5 o'clock funnies etc.

It also has a hard drive that stores CDs but I don't use that as much as Sirius.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 PM

Have it in all my cars. Always set to Hard Attack (death metal) unless the wife is in the car, my 9 & 6 year old sons love Metal (they have met Rob Zombie). Pro install , no need for FM.

Useful for blasting out the young punks who live in the mean streets of South Orange County driving mom's car blasting out rap music.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 PM

Thank you all. Since I am a noob at this...I did not realize that my garage was causing a signal interuption...but since by Sirrus clicks in and out when I am driving under freeway over passes...I "understand".

I "think" I gonna likey, likey this toy...but I have not really given it the full "run"...I am going to keep my regular FM in place...since sould is really "clean"...as long as I am not under a structure...or tree...or shadow...ok,ok shadow is a bit of a stretch.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Rambler
Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM

I think the best way to listen to sirius is with any alpine or kenwood headunit, rather via FM radio