S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   California - Southern California S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-southern-california-s2000-owners-16/)
-   -   Insurance experts. Comprehensive Insurance Claim Question (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-southern-california-s2000-owners-16/insurance-experts-comprehensive-insurance-claim-question-887967/)

ungucpho 08-04-2011 02:25 PM

my only concern is that i'm going to Marco's Collision in San Gabriel. From past experience, i think their labor rates were pretty high. Do body shops usually have lower rates when dealing with insurance claims?

Originally Posted by Italia (Post 20848526)

Originally Posted by ungucpho' timestamp='1312494852' post='20848483
thanks for the insight. assuming that the insurance agency and body shop use the same metric to estimate time to repair, i'm only exposed to the difference in labor rate between the state farm "average" rate and the shop labor rate at the repair facility.

i never knew that this was could turn out to be a headache,

i thought that i was liable for the deductible, and not any difference between the shop labor rate and the average rate for the area determined by the insurance company

[quote name='Italia' timestamp='1312493062' post='20848395']
[quote name='ungucpho' timestamp='1312492227' post='20848348']
Thanks Beber,

That was my understanding of how my coverage would work, i'm just liable for the deductible, not any difference in costs between the insurance adjuster and the shop adjuster. I might have to contact my insurance company for further clarification. the shop in question shouldn't be a problem, this was posed by my insurance agency.

i also tried to send you a PM, but it said that you cannot receive anymore

[quote name='beb' timestamp='1312482209' post='20847550']
No, there will be no difference amount.

State Farm and the shop will agree to a price and that is it, all you pay out of pocket is your deductible.

Im an insurance agent, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. :)

Good luck with your repairs!

edit: re-read. Is someone actually telling you that you will be responsible? If its the shop - red flag, change shops immediately. I can even refer to you one. Thats why you have FULL coverage, to return your vehicle to its original state after an incident and a deductible to pay for your share.

Actually, LEGALLY, the car owner is ALWAYS responsible for paying for the repairs or any differences, the insurance company merely reimburses the car owner, always remember that. The shop and insurance company do not have to agree on a price, especially if its a cheap insurance company trying to undercut the prices. With that said, state farm is usually one of the top 3 insurance companies in paying a fair amount, and time they handle it in.
[/quote]
[/quote]

State farm usually pays a fair rate (and sometimes above fair labor rates) anyways so that will not be an issue. If the shop is a state farm select service shop, then they have already agreed to what they will work for with state farm

Beb, whats crackin?? What I was stressing was that, the contract between the shop and the owner of the car is always only between the shop owner and the car owner, the insurance company merely is reimbursing the owner of the vehicle. Meaning, whatever the car owner signs, the car owner is responsible for paying regardless of what the insurance company does. Like I said though, SF should be no problems, but some of the lower ones thats a different story.
[/quote]

Italia 08-04-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by ungucpho (Post 20848568)
my only concern is that i'm going to Marco's Collision in San Gabriel. From past experience, i think their labor rates were pretty high. Do body shops usually have lower rates when dealing with insurance claims?

Originally Posted by Italia' timestamp='1312495755' post='20848526
[quote name='ungucpho' timestamp='1312494852' post='20848483']
thanks for the insight. assuming that the insurance agency and body shop use the same metric to estimate time to repair, i'm only exposed to the difference in labor rate between the state farm "average" rate and the shop labor rate at the repair facility.

i thought that i was liable for the deductible, and not any difference between the shop labor rate and the average rate for the area determined by the insurance company

Thanks Beber,

That was my understanding of how my coverage would work, i'm just liable for the deductible, not any difference in costs between the insurance adjuster and the shop adjuster. I might have to contact my insurance company for further clarification. the shop in question shouldn't be a problem, this was posed by my insurance agency.

State Farm and the shop will agree to a price and that is it, all you pay out of pocket is your deductible.

Im an insurance agent, so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. :)

edit: re-read. Is someone actually telling you that you will be responsible? If its the shop - red flag, change shops immediately. I can even refer to you one. Thats why you have FULL coverage, to return your vehicle to its original state after an incident and a deductible to pay for your share.

Actually, LEGALLY, the car owner is ALWAYS responsible for paying for the repairs or any differences, the insurance company merely reimburses the car owner, always remember that. The shop and insurance company do not have to agree on a price, especially if its a cheap insurance company trying to undercut the prices. With that said, state farm is usually one of the top 3 insurance companies in paying a fair amount, and time they handle it in.
[/quote]
[/quote]

State farm usually pays a fair rate (and sometimes above fair labor rates) anyways so that will not be an issue. If the shop is a state farm select service shop, then they have already agreed to what they will work for with state farm

Beb, whats crackin?? What I was stressing was that, the contract between the shop and the owner of the car is always only between the shop owner and the car owner, the insurance company merely is reimbursing the owner of the vehicle. Meaning, whatever the car owner signs, the car owner is responsible for paying regardless of what the insurance company does. Like I said though, SF should be no problems, but some of the lower ones thats a different story.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, and like I said if they are a state farm shop then they HAVE to agree to what state farm wants to pay or they yank them off the list. Many times, shops will even accept less to get the job because they lose more if it goes elsewhere. If that shop cannot work with state farm, I dont know who they can work with though anyway.

ungucpho 08-04-2011 03:23 PM

marcos isn't an affiliated repair facility, they just had them in the database. im assuming that I will just be responisble for the only the deductible at the moment. when the state farms claims rep read the provision that I may be responsible for additional payment, it set off my internal alarm.

I've taken cars to "preferred shops" in the past and it's always been less than satisfactory experience

Originally Posted by Italia (Post 20848616)

Originally Posted by ungucpho' timestamp='1312496751' post='20848568

[quote name='Italia' timestamp='1312495755' post='20848526']

Thanks Beber,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yes, and like I said if they are a state farm shop then they HAVE to agree to what state farm wants to pay or they yank them off the list. Many times, shops will even accept less to get the job because they lose more if it goes elsewhere. If that shop cannot work with state farm, I dont know who they can work with though anyway.
[/quote]

Italia 08-04-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ungucpho (Post 20848735)
marcos isn't an affiliated repair facility, they just had them in the database. im assuming that I will just be responisble for the only the deductible at the moment. when the state farms claims rep read the provision that I may be responsible for additional payment, it set off my internal alarm.

I've taken cars to "preferred shops" in the past and it's always been less than satisfactory experience

Originally Posted by Italia' timestamp='1312497660' post='20848616
[quote name='ungucpho' timestamp='1312496751' post='20848568']

Thanks Beber,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thats because people think those shops are on the preferred list for doing better work. In reality, the insurance company doesnt send them all that work for nothing in exchange. In order to be a part of that program, the shop must agree to work for LESS than standard labor rates, and give MANY other concessions (rental cars, free storage for total losses etc) The shop is then either faced with not turning a profit, or cutting corners. The shop wins cause they get more work, the insurance wins cause they save billions over the course of a year, so what does that do for the consumer?

ungucpho 08-04-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Italia (Post 20848824)

Originally Posted by ungucpho' timestamp='1312500184' post='20848735
marcos isn't an affiliated repair facility, they just had them in the database. im assuming that I will just be responsisble for the only the deductible at the moment. when the state farms claims rep read the provision that I may be responsible for additional payment, it set off my internal alarm.

[quote name='Italia' timestamp='1312497660' post='20848616']
[quote name='ungucpho' timestamp='1312496751' post='20848568']

Thanks Beber,

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thats because people think those shops are on the preferred list for doing better work. In reality, the insurance company doesnt send them all that work for nothing in exchange. In order to be a part of that program, the shop must agree to work for LESS than standard labor rates, and give MANY other concessions (rental cars, free storage for total losses etc) The shop is then either faced with not turning a profit, or cutting corners. The shop wins cause they get more work, the insurance wins cause they save billions over the course of a year, so what does that do for the consumer?
[/quote]

pm sent

egprelude 08-05-2011 08:44 AM

I think you will be in good hands at Macros San Gabriel.
Since you left it with Marcos for a repair, SF should be working with Marcos to agree on a price and have the car fix. SF will then cover the bill less deductible.

The difference, from a recent experience, is that SF will not cut you a check for a shop's estimated cost if you don't leave it with them. They will only cut you a check for their own estimate if you wanted just the money without leaving it at a shop to repair it.

Drew523 08-05-2011 10:34 AM

Claims... Did that a while ago for a insurance company. Alot of back and forth with the shop and insured.

But yea, regardless if they are part of the insurance companies network of body shop you have the option to take it where ever you want. Only advantage of taking it to an insurance companies network/selected body shop is that the claims payments/estimates will get done faster. When we had repairs done at a authorized/select repair shop in our network I didn't really look into the claim too much because the body shops estimates were pretty close and accurate to what I came up with. Alot of times we just gave them authority to go with there estimates. Also for any reason they found additional damage was found during the disassemble of vehicle and additional repairs/cost was needed for the repair we would let them automatically authorize it. Alot of times those body shops won't try to be shady and overharge for repairs because they dont want the insurance company to removed them from the companies "authorized/certified" list... Cuz they get referrals from the claims adjuster/rep when they call in and ask where to take it. Like others have said, being on the company list doesn't exactly mean they are the best quality or crap quality. All depends on the shop.

Things may take longer with Marco's shop, but that just depends on the claims adjuster and bodyshop. Adjuster will contact bodyshop probably setup a time to come b to inspect the car to do a estimate on it if they haven't already. Than compare it with the bodyshops estimate and we just hammer it out until we agree on something or we straight up tell them it should only cost this money to repair it. Alot of body shops would use these estimator programs to determine prices, they would enter the damage and parts that would be needed to replace/repair and paint then it generates a estimate on the repair. Plus sometimes bodyshops estimates are really high because are they taking account the cost of ordering a brand new part from Honda... Were like no no no, part should on cost this much. Sometimes we have to order the part from Honda otherwise if we have it available we can get a part from either a totaled car or warehouse for alot less. Don't expect to get all brand new parts because your not, some parts maybe new. Its same kind and quality as original car.

ungucpho 08-05-2011 07:04 PM

thanks guys. since it's just vandalism, I don't think parts need to be replaced