California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Looking for a new shop - suggestions?

Old 07-13-2018, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a new shop - suggestions?

Hello all, pardon the throwaway. I'm an owner of an AP1 for about two years now and I'm in the process of performing some upgrades and repairs. In the past, I went to Ballade, because on paper they seemed to be the best choice, especially since they seemed to demonstrate a very intricate understanding of the vehicle's mechanical aspects. However, the entire time I've spent using them for service has been a bit subpar. On more than one occasion, I've communicated things wrong with my vehicle that were either blown off and disregarded only for it to become a bigger and more costly problem, or were met with nickel-and-dimimg approaches that didn't seem to actually fix the problem itself, unless of course the problem was me having too much money in my wallet. In any case, I not 100% trusting of the shop any more, and I'm looking for other suggestions. I know of Rockstar and Tony Fuch's Mid-Valley Auto Repair, both of whom I'll definitely reach out to, but I figured I'd ask for other suggestions as well.

PS: The intent is definitely not to disparage Ballade, but to share my honest perception of them, which unfortunately skews negatively.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:53 AM

I should add that I'm looking for a shop well versed in aftermarket mods and builds. Thanks everyone and looking forward to hearing suggestions!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:38 PM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had great experiences with Mid-Valley Auto Repair as well as Evasive Motorsports. Tony is a great guy who really knows his stuff and Evasive has a few of the most recognizable S2000 builds out there.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:17 PM

Been taking my car to John at Corner Speed Tuning in Huntington Beach which is convenient for me since i live 5 mins away. I had been taking my car to Ballade for several years but recently switch to Corner Speed. John use to work for Cobb Tuning so he knows alot about Subaru's, I found him through recommendation from my Suby friends since I needed service for my Subaru. He is a one man shop and is pretty meticulous about everything. He actually owns a S2000 and Honda guy since his S2000 is a track car only. Evasive is another option too, taken my car their before. If your in OC, either one is good.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:46 PM

Where are you located at? I got my s2k 2 years ago and have been taking my car to Robert at Chewerks since i met him at the track. He is very knowledgeable of the s2000 since he raced one before racing his EG6. I like going there because he does all the work himself and doesn't pawn off work to a less experienced worker. Another good thing about that shop that i noticed is he passes on his savings on parts to you if he gets it cheaper. He doesnt double dip you on parts and labor like a lot of shops. The shop is located in City of Industry
Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/californ...thread-900892/

give us a call at 626-336-3400

we've been working on s2000's for over 15+ years now.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there, done that

Have lots to say about all the shops that is referred in this thread

was going to PM the OP but doesn't seem like I can.

all in all, just take it to Chewerks and call it a day.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chewerkz, Balladesport, or Alan Lee on the S2K Facebook group.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I will definitely give Chewerks and Evasive a look as well.

@helothere - it looks like they have a PM lockout for new accounts. If you give me an email I'll be glad to hear you out.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I will get my clutch to replace by Tony today/tomorrow and I will report back to see how it goes. And I am going to him because I keep hearing good reviews/ he is knowledgeable and because his shop is a few miles away from me. I will keep you all posted.

Also, off-topic, any meets in the valley?

Quick Reply: Looking for a new shop - suggestions?