California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

My recent encounter with various sellers and watch out for a 06 yellow AP2

Old 07-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dansplan
Just my 2c - it's far easier to be honest and upfront as a seller than hope someone doesn't discover some bs you know to be true later. In the end, you have something you want to sell and want to get a fair price for it. If you misrepresent what you are selling, the buyer has a right to be pissed - before, during, or especially after the fact. With all of the CL and eBay scams, it's very hard to trust a stranger, but in the end, if you get together in person and don't have anything to hide, it's far more likely you'll actually sell the car and not go through a bunch of "near sales" - of course - buyers being flaky and backing out for no reason or very questionable reasons is a whole other story. If it feels like there's no trust, I'd say just walk away. These are S2K's and you'll find one eventually that makes sense.
these are true points you make.

i see that the seller allowed a 3rd party PPI. this is the gold standard in discovering issues in used car sales, and the seller allowed his/her car to undergo this inspection. this is sufficient, in my perspective, for the buyer to discover everything that he wants to discover, and the seller allowed it to be performed.

as additional points, the carfax showed no accidents. a regular layman doesn't have to understand the technical definition of an accident, so i don't see any dishonesty by saying there were no accidents.

also, how many of us know that the s2000 or any car for that matter has 10 vin stickers? i didn't.

this deal breakdown is very typical, and inconsequential as far as ethics is concerned.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the owner isn't there and another person is selling it, they should give a limited power of attorney to sell the vehicle and have that document notarized. Some DMVs have a special paper for this process. FYI for future reference.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
hitting a gate may not necessarily be considered an accident, so accusing them of lying is not entirely fair. I do not consider that lying at all.

also, verifying 10 vin's is not customary in auto sales, it's a unique request.

so if those are your two issues, then again, i see no issue here.
I am going to guess they INTENTIONALLY hit a gate.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
these are true points you make.

i see that the seller allowed a 3rd party PPI. this is the gold standard in discovering issues in used car sales, and the seller allowed his/her car to undergo this inspection. this is sufficient, in my perspective, for the buyer to discover everything that he wants to discover, and the seller allowed it to be performed.

as additional points, the carfax showed no accidents. a regular layman doesn't have to understand the technical definition of an accident, so i don't see any dishonesty by saying there were no accidents.

also, how many of us know that the s2000 or any car for that matter has 10 vin stickers? i didn't.

this deal breakdown is very typical, and inconsequential as far as ethics is concerned.
Take a business law class and then argue. I'd ask my bro, the official contract lawyer in our family, but that's just a stupid question and not worth his time. Yes, sellers aren't required to tell you anything or everything. If I verbally ask them a specific question and they lie about it then they can be held liable IF I can prove that we had the conversation. Verbal agreements can be enforced in court IF they can be proven that they took place or else it's a he said/she said situation and it goes no where. The most recent and spectacular example being Trump and Comey, and Cosby and some of his accusers. Without proof, you are not going to win in a court of law no matter what high powered attorney you hire. Sure, I can't take them to criminal court but I am pretty sure I will win in small claims or civil court. All I need is to prove 1% over 50 to win my case. The buyer may have gone out of his way but that's up to him and if he wants to pay for a PPI. The 3rd party can be held liable in this case if they violated the terms of their contract on what the checklist of items that they supposedly looked at for you (Google the court cases against Carfax when ppl bought cars with clean Carfaxes and then it turns out they were salvaged vehicles; even an online 3rd party company can be sued). If the car has frame damage and you are killed while driving due to it b/c the seller or 3rd party said the car had no structural defects, guess who is going to pay up the wazoo?

Last edited by runnyeggsham; 07-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM

lol, i have taken a business law class. what difference does that make for a private party sale? it's two people that are not in the business of selling cars trying to make a deal. it does not require any business law knowledge.

the only professional in this transaction is the 3rd party inspection company.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:01 PM

there was no verbal contract made here, just simple questions and answers.

the 3rd party inspection was performed, and that would be the crux of any issues that arise from a private party sale.

you're taking this way overboard by bringing in business law into a private party sale.

private party sales are sold as-is. especially if you relied on a 3rd party inspection, that's what you're going to go on.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM

i do advise you to discuss with your brother how much power a sales contract holds over a private seller in a used car private party sale, that involved a 3rd party inspection.

go ahead and inform yourself.

you're treating this like two corporations signing a 50 page sales document.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 PM

A layman seller cannot be held liable for knowing the structural integrity of his car, he's not an expert in that field. The car is sold as is, that's why buyers purchase professional inspections.

Time to enroll in business law 202.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:21 PM

It seems like you're in college and are taking or have just taken a business law class and you're super excited to apply your newfound knowledge in the real world. Unfortunately this is private party used car sales. It's not really a good scenario to apply your business law knowledge.

Think of it this way, what if the seller was an immigrant that spoke very little English and his job was a janitor. He's selling his old car. I mean, how much of this business law is applicable to him selling his car? He signs over the title, cashes the check. check. That's it.

The buyer is responsible for the inspection. Business law would apply to the shop that performed the inspection, but for the seller, not much.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM

There is no blatant fraud going on here on the sellers part. And in my opinion nothing unethical.

Quick Reply: My recent encounter with various sellers and watch out for a 06 yellow AP2