S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   California - Southern California S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-southern-california-s2000-owners-16/)
-   -   Need a shop that works on repairing forged wheels (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/california-southern-california-s2000-owners-16/need-shop-works-repairing-forged-wheels-1173738/)

dv55xc 06-03-2017 04:16 PM

Need a shop that works on repairing forged wheels

5 Attachment(s)
So I had an incident on the freeway where my wheel came off. Fortunately I didn't damage my car or anyone else's but the wheel took a big hit. Here are some pictures:

Attachment 73806
Attachment 73807
Attachment 73808
Attachment 73809
Attachment 73810

Now that you've seen the damage here are some more details. The wheel went back to the wheel balancing machine to check if it was out of balance. The wheel is within tolerances and spins perfect. The wheel also holds air perfectly fine and I can mount the wheel back on the car with no issue (no weird wobbles when I shake or move the wheel on the car in the air). From what I can see it's just cosmetic damage but I want to make sure. Is there a shop any of you will recommend to get the wheels fixed? The barrel has deep scratches and gouges and the bolt holes were chewed up by the studs (I think). Thanks in advance!

davidc1 06-04-2017 06:24 PM

As far as the wheels go, I would recommend Al Reed Polishing. He's been in business in LA for about 40 yrs. He was one of the original guys who could actually repair damaged wheels in the first place. I've used him many times. Members of the Porsche Club of America send their vintage Fuchs wheels to him from all over the country for repair and refinishing. And his prices are good.

Don't let the appearance of the shop fool you.....

Al Reed Polishing Inc
5.03 Google reviews
Tire shop in Anaheim, California
Address: 3010 E Coronado St # A, Anaheim, CA 92806
Phone: (714) 632-3907

dv55xc 06-05-2017 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1 (Post 24219471)
As far as the wheels go, I would recommend Al Reed Polishing. He's been in business in LA for about 40 yrs. He was one of the original guys who could actually repair damaged wheels in the first place. I've used him many times. Members of the Porsche Club of America send their vintage Fuchs wheels to him from all over the country for repair and refinishing. And his prices are good.

Al Reed Polishing Inc
5.03 Google reviews

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll call and ask to see what they can do :thumbup:

davidc1 06-05-2017 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by dv55xc (Post 24220034)
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll call and ask to see what they can do :thumbup:

Al and his wife Diane are really good people. But they are old school, and he's sort of a gruff curmudgeon Don't be surprised if you call, that he simply says bring the wheel down to let me take a look at it.

Chris_Lum 06-12-2017 03:42 PM

i would just get a new wheel to be safe. i'm guessing the wheel barrel damage is due to the ball joint and/or brake disks hitting the wheel as it came off. The wheel could be structurally compromised. If you're on a budget, a simple refinish might be ok, but if you can afford it, just replace the wheel for peace of mind.

jaor.s2k 06-13-2017 07:16 AM

Al Reed Polishing Inc
5.03 Google reviews

When he refinishes wheels, does he paint them or powder coat them? I am looking for a good shop to refinish and paint my forged wheels as well. I choose paint over powder coat, because there is a lot of controversy and mixed experiences of forged wheels becoming more brittle and losing structural integrity from the heating and cure process (mainly if done wrong for forged wheels).

Partshelper 06-15-2017 09:07 PM

theres some dude in garden grove that does really good work. Ill ask my friend for the contact

dv55xc 06-21-2017 11:35 AM

Al Reed Polishing Inc
5.03 Google reviews

**Update**
So after trying to get a hold of them over the phone I finally got a reply on my wheels. I had to email them pictured of the wheel and the damage. Diane replied back saying that they couldn't repair the wheels and that they only work on Porsche classic wheels. I'm gonna cheek out another shop that does re drilling and aluminum welding. If anyone has recommendations, I'm open to them. I'll keep you posted.